No announcement yet.

Gabe Madsen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally in agreement with you my friend. I was hoping Brannen was the guy to bring bball back to clifton. It seems to be not the case.

Comment

I'm more curious as to what Mason will do more than Gabe not coming back. I figured it was 50/50 from what we saw of him he would be back to begin with particularly with Davenport being groomed to be play the majority of minutes at the 3. Gabe isn't the bigger athletic wing they were lacking, and physically in the couple games we saw him he's not at that level right now. The reality we're seeing now at all programs in there is typically a rotation of 7 and sometimes 8 guys who are getting the core minutes. The younger guys seem to be in search of those minutes earlier and earlier, and the development years have become a thing of the past for a lot of guys. Time will tell, but my guess is he ends up at a smaller school where he can play the 3. Here's to hoping Mason stays as i think he's a good change of pace for the 2 and help at the pg long term. However, i wouldn't bet on anything in today's game particularly with the portal rules and practices currently. Reform is likely coming, and my guess is it's one free career transfer.

Comment

This is all very worrying, but unless I'm missing something putting your name in the portal has no downside. Why not see if something better is available?

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
          I hate to be a debbie downer but we may be witnessing the demise of UC basketball. Or any college basketball at schools who try to compete by following the legal protocols. With covid allowing kids to not only stay an extra year if they choose to and to transfer without having to sit out a year, coupled with all the recent discussions about paying student athletes and all the news of schools and coaches being investigated for recruiting violations only the blue bloods, elite, and lavishly financed programs will survive. Especially when these other programs and so called police of these schools just turn a blind eye or just treat these violations as minor. And lets not forget all the ones who are already recruiting kids with the dollar. This is why Brannen is not the guy for the job here at UC at least if its to be done ethically and legally. Hes trying to do the job on the up and up. You cant recruit against schools who recruit only one and dones , schools that provide perks for attending their institutions and schools that promise immediate playing time. I would almost bet that while GM was opting out this season there were several coaches opting into the madsens home and in his ear. With the situation as it seems to me to be presently we have a musical chair situation with a bunch of 2 and three star recruits who are unhappy to sit and learn only to bail and switch brands. And unfortunately those schools that are honest are going to be left out. We saw the beginnings of this with the major realignments several years back when UC and U conn only were left on the outside. And here we are several years later and still cant get into one of the top five conferences but amazingly UConn was able to find (pay) their way into the big East. Im just reporting what Im seeing folks but if your tired of waiting on a winner in clifton then we need to get us a coach that has deep pockets and is fairly charitable. and aint afraid to share his income. So as I see it today thats is the only way to keep kids at one program for more than one year.
          Basketball won't get UC to a P5 no matter what they do. Football drives that, and coach Fickell has us in a good spot there.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Good to know you're not suggesting cheating or breaking NCAA program killing rules. I was very proud that Mick had players who wanted to be here, were good students, stayed out of trouble, and there was derisive talk from him on any hints that a recruit wanted benefits. I think Brannen will do the same. These kids aren't all looking to make that dollar as quick as possible. Freshmen find out quickly if a place isn't right for him, and this year exacerbates that situation. Good luck to Gabe and any other player that enters the portal. Coach Brannen is going to prove he belongs to stay or go over the next year or two. I am rooting for him to prove he belongs. This won't kill the program if he fails. UC has missed on coaches. Every program does. It happens and when the time is right, you cut bait. That time isn't now.
            well Indiana seemed to have missed. While it appeared after meeting with the admins and the coach. Miller was staying, booster money still rules.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Basketball won't get UC to a P5 no matter what they do. Football drives that, and coach Fickell has us in a good spot there.

Agreed but the football program is only as good as the current success. How much longer will we be able to keep LF. As long as he keeps us in the polls were front and center but when a coach bails and we go back into obscurity for a brief period were toast. UC is forever a stepping stone school. Ie Dantonio kelly Jones !

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

well Indiana seemed to have missed. While it appeared after meeting with the admins and the coach. Miller was staying, booster money still rules.
                I'm okay if a booster ponies up several million to Mr Cunningham to improve the basketball program. Either use the money to get what is needed or use it for buyout plus additional salary of higher profile coach. Unless that happens, I doubt we move on from BRannen barring a mass revolt of players providing evidence of wrongdoing allowing for the AD to fire the coach for cause. It is looking more and more like Brannen won't cut it, but the timing is wrong and the money isn't there.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

IU booster in question was Mark Cuban. Living in Dallas I can tell you that Mark thinks differently and has the connections and money to make Archie go away.

Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I'm okay if a booster ponies up several million to Mr Cunningham to improve the basketball program. Either use the money to get what is needed or use it for buyout plus additional salary of higher profile coach. Unless that happens, I doubt we move on from BRannen barring a mass revolt of players providing evidence of wrongdoing allowing for the AD to fire the coach for cause. It is looking more and more like Brannen won't cut it, but the timing is wrong and the money isn't there.
                    Just because it doesn't appear the money isn't there doesn't mean it can't be if boosters decide to pony it up. The Dept. Budget probably doesn't allow John Cunningham to financially do much in that regard with everything else on UC's plate right as far as debt retirement, etc. goes. That doesn't mean the heavy hitters will sit this out if something's really wrong.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

So given the fact that we can't seem to get any REAL information about the exodus... lemme throw ANOTHER rumor out there that is going around. Word is coach's wife has been liking tweets that are calling out players for leaving/opting out. Apparently, one in particular was especially hard on Harvey and see did a like on it. Now again.. one would have to question anybody that would see that as an issue worth leaving over but... again.. throw another rumor on the dumpster fire

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Just because it doesn't appear the money isn't there doesn't mean it can't be if boosters decide to pony it up. The Dept. Budget probably doesn't allow John Cunningham to financially do much in that regard with everything else on UC's plate right as far as debt retirement, etc. goes. That doesn't mean the heavy hitters will sit this out if something's really wrong.
                        Yes, that's what I said it will take barring evidence to fire Brannen for cause
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Transferring to Utah, per his Twitter

Comment

So, does he finish dead last in career scoring at UC among scholarship players?

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                              So, does he finish dead last in career scoring at UC among scholarship players?
                              Haha good thought... according to my quick research, Jamaree Strickland had zero points (but I can't confirm if he actually logged a minute) and Asrangue Souleymane scored 4 points -- one better than Gabe's 3 points scored.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Haha good thought... according to my quick research, Jamaree Strickland had zero points (but I can't confirm if he actually logged a minute) and Asrangue Souleymane scored 4 points -- one better than Gabe's 3 points scored.
                                Brian Bland - 1997-98. 2 games. 0 points. Scholarship player...Juco transfer

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X