@LobotC2DFW

So will his brother go with him?

Comment

Unsure . Mason made a follow up tweet but it didn’t indicate anything
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Things seem to be getting more bleak every day. Will we even be able to field a team?

I guess Brannen is still waiting on in home visits before getting commits.
        Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 03-15-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
          Things seem to be getting more bleak every day. Will we even be able to field a team?
          Fans were excited about Gabe, myself included. But he opted out and has been back home after playing in 12 mins over two games (made one field goal). I don’t believe this news worsened the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Fans were excited about Gabe, myself included. But he opted out and has been back home after playing in 12 mins over two games (made one field goal). I don’t believe this news worsened the roster.
            I would disagree with that statement. We're talking about next season, not what he did this year. He was more highly rated than his brother.

Comment

want guys who want to be here, still think brannen can build something if he gets the time, we've seen guys improve,
              I know I know, defense and turnovers were bad, but so young and so much less practice time this year
              nervous we go the way of the sweater in weezer song undone
              hopeful he finds bearcats in the portal, Australia or wherever

Comment

Wasn’t Gabe the higher rated of the Madsens? I read
                somewhere he ended up a 4 star and is Brannen’s highest rated recruit to date? Now, with Harvey and Gabe gone, we are missing two players expected to have a lot of potential. I am really worried we haven’t hit the bottom yet under Brannen. We were .500 this year and given the state of our roster, it’s really hard to see this team not being under .500 next year. I think our schedule will be stronger and we just can’t build around 3 players and a defensively challenged system. I gotta think Tari’s thinking about his future with this team.
                Last edited by Bearcat93; 03-15-2021, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I guess Gabes jealousy got the best of him. He was al-ways the "best" of the two and when Mason started getting playing time Gabe decided to go home and then go somewhere else. Too bad I was looking forward to seeing these two progress together but apparently Masons success was just too much for Gabe. This just reinforces the statements I made in the ZH thread how is a program to be built when kids cant commit to more than one year.

Comment

It's alarming all of the defections this year. Since players don't have to sit out a year every kid who didn't get the playing time he wanted is going to think about entering the transfer portal. We won't be the only team to take a hit. I don't how you get a kid too be patient and develop if he can just quit and go somewhere else. Did I hear that the NCAA is considering implementing a rule that says a kid can transfer once without sitting out a year but if he transfers a second time he does sit a year. I know this year was unique with Covid but does anybody no what the deal is going forward?

Comment

I hate to be a debbie downer but we may be witnessing the demise of UC basketball. Or any college basketball at schools who try to compete by following the legal protocols. With covid allowing kids to not only stay an extra year if they choose to and to transfer without having to sit out a year, coupled with all the recent discussions about paying student athletes and all the news of schools and coaches being investigated for recruiting violations only the blue bloods, elite, and lavishly financed programs will survive. Especially when these other programs and so called police of these schools just turn a blind eye or just treat these violations as minor. And lets not forget all the ones who are already recruiting kids with the dollar. This is why Brannen is not the guy for the job here at UC at least if its to be done ethically and legally. Hes trying to do the job on the up and up. You cant recruit against schools who recruit only one and dones , schools that provide perks for attending their institutions and schools that promise immediate playing time. I would almost bet that while GM was opting out this season there were several coaches opting into the madsens home and in his ear. With the situation as it seems to me to be presently we have a musical chair situation with a bunch of 2 and three star recruits who are unhappy to sit and learn only to bail and switch brands. And unfortunately those schools that are honest are going to be left out. We saw the beginnings of this with the major realignments several years back when UC and U conn only were left on the outside. And here we are several years later and still cant get into one of the top five conferences but amazingly UConn was able to find (pay) their way into the big East. Im just reporting what Im seeing folks but if your tired of waiting on a winner in clifton then we need to get us a coach that has deep pockets and is fairly charitable. and aint afraid to share his income. So as I see it today thats is the only way to keep kids at one program for more than one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                        I hate to be a debbie downer but we may be witnessing the demise of UC basketball. Or any college basketball at schools who try to compete by following the legal protocols. With covid allowing kids to not only stay an extra year if they choose to and to transfer without having to sit out a year, coupled with all the recent discussions about paying student athletes and all the news of schools and coaches being investigated for recruiting violations only the blue bloods, elite, and lavishly financed programs will survive. Especially when these other programs and so called police of these schools just turn a blind eye or just treat these violations as minor. And lets not forget all the ones who are already recruiting kids with the dollar. This is why Brannen is not the guy for the job here at UC at least if its to be done ethically and legally. Hes trying to do the job on the up and up. You cant recruit against schools who recruit only one and dones , schools that provide perks for attending their institutions and schools that promise immediate playing time. I would almost bet that while GM was opting out this season there were several coaches opting into the madsens home and in his ear. With the situation as it seems to me to be presently we have a musical chair situation with a bunch of 2 and three star recruits who are unhappy to sit and learn only to bail and switch brands. And unfortunately those schools that are honest are going to be left out. We saw the beginnings of this with the major realignments several years back when UC and U conn only were left on the outside. And here we are several years later and still cant get into one of the top five conferences but amazingly UConn was able to find (pay) their way into the big East. Im just reporting what Im seeing folks but if your tired of waiting on a winner in clifton then we need to get us a coach that has deep pockets and is fairly charitable. and aint afraid to share his income. So as I see it today thats is the only way to keep kids at one program for more than one year.
                        Ok, think about your position for a second and assume that it's all true. UC begins cheating to try and land some upper tier talent. If those players come to UC, then the NCAA gets curious as to why UC as opposed to a blue blood program. The NCAA starts investigating, and finds out what UC has been doing. Do you really think the NCAA will turn the blind eye to UC, not one of its blue blood programs? You are fooling yourself if you think that won't be the death penalty for the school and its program. The NCAA will make an example of UC because not only did it threaten its blue blood programs but did so by ignoring the rules. UC will never get the same treatment as blue bloods.

What UC needs is to somehow break into a better league. And the way to accomplish that is through football, because that is where the real money lies in college sports. It is extremely difficult to recruit to the AAC in basketball. Cronin told us so and I did not doubt him then and still do not doubt him. So, UC must up its profile by joining a more elite conference and then basketball recruits will start coming. Cronins highest rated classes came while in the Big East and his recruiting dropped off once the Big East was dissolved in its prior form. You look at the success Fickell is having in football, it is our best hope for joining another conference. After that happens, basketball recruiting will rise accordingly.

Comment

I mean, everyone knew that the transfers this year were going to be eye-opening across the board. Not surprised. I don't envy JB's position. You start a new job at a school like UC, have a decent first season, then suddenly we get a covid year and everything is in flux. The nucleus is strong with our team (if they stick around), not it's all about finding the right parts to compliment them. There are going to be plenty of guys that want the opportunity.

And for me it's pretty simple...kids today aren't the kids of yesterday. Everything is at their fingertips and they expect playing time as well. Find guys that want to work and prove their worth. You will win with those kinds of guys AND will put down a solid foundation for future teams. It isn't easy and it takes patience and time. We will be ok.
                          Cory Huffman
                          Cin City

Comment

London' cat Im not suggesting that we do these type of shenanigans. I was merely pointing out that with the atmosphere as it is, the righteous coach is rarely gonna be given a chance to build a program. Weve seen tremendous turnover in our roster and cjb handicapped each year now in the recruiting area and there are people screaming still that he cant win and needs to go. Meanwhile hes able to snag a couple of high prized recruits and cant keep them. These high morals recruits today dont want to sit and learn basketball. Remember when it was law that freshmen coudnt play. Brannen and guys like him have to beg plead sell and placate people to come to UC who is in the AAC. Then you have coachs like coach K at Duke and all he has to do is walk out his front door and shake a dead cat at who he wants to play for him. In the middle you have coachs that violate the rules to coax kids to come to them. And I certainly am not suggesting that our beloved bearcats resort to that level. Its just the state of things as they are. Cronin got to the point he wouldnt even chase 4 and 5 star guys because he knew it was practically unfruitful. We just seen Archie Miller terminated. It was revealed that a private donor (fund) would pay put the ten mil left on his contract. That leaves the school ( athletic funds) dollars available for other things. Im old enough to have seen how the dollar has influenced the MLB, NFL and now we are seeing in college sports right after these realignments specifically. As you said we need to get in a better conference but we will never get there if we cant keep the 4 and 5 blue chippers that we occaisonally and rarely obtain and keep them for three or more years. Im sorry my rant is long but its frustrating seeing all these kids going to other schools thinking the grass is going to be greener.

Comment

London' cat Im not suggesting that we do these type of shenanigans. I was merely pointing out that with the atmosphere as it is, the righteous coach is rarely gonna be given a chance to build a program. Weve seen tremendous turnover in our roster and cjb handicapped each year now in the recruiting area and there are people screaming still that he cant win and needs to go. Meanwhile hes able to snag a couple of high prized recruits and cant keep them. These high morals recruits today dont want to sit and learn basketball. Remember when it was law that freshmen coudnt play. Brannen and guys like him have to beg plead sell and placate people to come to UC who is in the AAC. Then you have coachs like coach K at Duke and all he has to do is walk out his front door and shake a dead cat at who he wants to play for him. In the middle you have coachs that violate the rules to coax kids to come to them. And I certainly am not suggesting that our beloved bearcats resort to that level. Its just the state of things as they are. Cronin got to the point he wouldnt even chase 4 and 5 star guys because he knew it was practically unfruitful. We just seen Archie Miller terminated. It was revealed that a private donor (fund) would pay put the ten mil left on his contract. That leaves the school ( athletic funds) dollars available for other things. Im old enough to have seen how the dollar has influenced the MLB, NFL and now we are seeing in college sports right after these realignments specifically. As you said we need to get in a better conference but we will never get there if we cant keep the 4 and 5 blue chippers that we occaisonally and rarely obtain and keep them for three or more years. Im sorry my rant is long but its frustrating seeing all these kids going to other schools thinking the grass is going to be greener.
                              Good to know you're not suggesting cheating or breaking NCAA program killing rules. I was very proud that Mick had players who wanted to be here, were good students, stayed out of trouble, and there was derisive talk from him on any hints that a recruit wanted benefits. I think Brannen will do the same. These kids aren't all looking to make that dollar as quick as possible. Freshmen find out quickly if a place isn't right for him, and this year exacerbates that situation. Good luck to Gabe and any other player that enters the portal. Coach Brannen is going to prove he belongs to stay or go over the next year or two. I am rooting for him to prove he belongs. This won't kill the program if he fails. UC has missed on coaches. Every program does. It happens and when the time is right, you cut bait. That time isn't now.
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X