This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Paul Daugherty column ($): the silence from UC is deafening https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rs/7004723002/

He makes a good point, noting that we have heard from David DeDejulius (via the Q&A with Justin Williams) but not Cunningham or Brannen. He's not the first to comment on the silence from UC. It's been here on Bearcatnews, there is a very thread on that on BearcatJournal.com and Mo Egger discussed that this afternoon on his show. Daugherty also suggests CJB promised an interview today, but as of 5:30 pm still has not heard from him.

I am rarely quick to criticize and like to give the benefit of the doubt. But it does seem something should be said -- more so from above Brannen (i.e. his boss) -- at this point.

I can't be sure of UC's policies, but oftentimes you cannot interview a player just by contacting them directly; rather you need to go through the SID. I appreciate DDJ's comments but, factoring in that logic, I've assumed UC used that as a way to counter the first story -- let DDJ go on record for a more positive spin. But as Daugherty suggests, David DeJulius should not be the program spokesperson.
    From the Daugherty article . The content is covered by fair use in the US Copright law (The Copyright Act of 1976 ). It shows a different view than former Bearcats and writers who are not as independent as PD.
    College basketball is becoming a players game. How many coaches now have the juice once owned by Dean Smith, John Thompson and Bob Knight? Even Roy Williams has players coming and going like streetcars. Did you see that Michigan State player swat way Tom Izzo’s hand during a First Four game last week?

If you’re going to succeed as a coach, you better be able to relate to the people you’re coaching. The My Way Highway has officially closed.

Players need to believe their coaches have their best interests at heart. A coach can scream at a player all day, every day and if that player trusts that coach’s intentions, he’ll play hard for him. Ain’t that right, Bob Huggins?

Comment

• People - I see so much fluctuating on the UC problem with every new article. Have some patience, keep an open mind and hopefully the truth and a resolution will come about. Many dismiss the bible, but it has much wisdom. Take for instance- Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

. The My Way Highway has officially closed.

Just like the NBA learned 25-30 years ago
        Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 03-26-2021, 08:33 AM.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Keep in mind that the entire current discussion about JB is centered on negative recruiting tactics from other coaches. This stuff is out there but it's not necessarily a reflection on JB or John Cunningham. Some schools use tactics like this. There may be no basis in fact for any of it.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            Keep in mind that the entire current discussion about JB is centered on negative recruiting tactics from other coaches. This stuff is out there but it's not necessarily a reflection on JB or John Cunningham. Some schools use tactics like this. There may be no basis in fact for any of it.
            Noted, Lobot. But it does seem strange how UC has remained silent for so long. If Brannen were staying, a simple word of support for him and his staff would ease the negative recruiting tactics. The longer UC remains silent on this issue, the more likely these negative recruiting tactics will remain effective. They are absolutely killing this coaching staff’s ability to sign recruits while this continues in no man’s land.

Comment

Keep in mind that the entire current discussion about JB is centered on negative recruiting tactics from other coaches. This stuff is out there but it's not necessarily a reflection on JB or John Cunningham. Some schools use tactics like this. There may be no basis in fact for any of it.
              Agreed. I think UC leaves the door open for this negative undercurrent as long as neither the AD or the coach say nothing publicly to the contrary.

Comment

• https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzag...h=109da77951ee

CINCINNATI: There is a lot of smoke, but so far no fire at Cincinnati, where John Brannen has reportedly clashed with some players and six players have reportedly entered the NCAA Transfer Portal. This appears to be a fluid situation.

Comment

• Right now the "smoke" appears to be below from an X fan last night so fwiw. Obviously they are recruiting currently, and the buyout is north of 4mm and from what I've read does not go down 3/31/21 as some have speculated. I believe they are confusing the amount UC would get if he left for another school.

https://twitter.com/MarkusWalters1/s...56525267173381

Unfortunately, the fans running with this stuff is likely going to dictate they come out with some statement unless they are imminently going to be adding players and he/they do not think it merits a statement. It's pointless to speculate.
                  Last edited by coach; 03-26-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
                    Right now the "smoke" appears to be below from an X fan last night so fwiw. Obviously they are recruiting currently, and the buyout is north of 4mm and from what I've read does not go down 3/31/21 as some have speculated. I believe they are confusing the amount UC would get if he left for another school.

I blocked that account already - just a troll. But bumping up what was said on the previous page, Chad Brendel was hearing--and he is not one to amplify baseless rumor--that there had been some buzz about the possibility of a coaching change. Again, he is/was not reporting that. But he clearly heard something from someone more credible than an X troll account that he felt compelled to mention it on his BCJ site (which I did not see/don't have access) and in the podcast that I listened to.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
                      Right now the "smoke" appears to be below from an X fan last night so fwiw. Obviously they are recruiting currently, and the buyout is north of 4mm and from what I've read does not go down 3/31/21 as some have speculated. I believe they are confusing the amount UC would get if he left for another school.

Unfortunately, the fans running with this stuff is likely going to dictate they come out with some statement unless they are imminently going to be adding players and he/they do not think it merits a statement. It's pointless to speculate.
                      I wondered why I couldn't find the post everybody was referring to. Turns out I had already blocked the guy. He claims to work as a sports reporter for WKYT, he doesn't. The guy has 300 or so followers, just ignore.

Comment

• Oh yeah, now I remember why I blocked the guy.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...keep-happening

Comment

• Internal UC investigation into the Men's basketall program is beginning per a University statement.

Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                            Oh yeah, now I remember why I blocked the guy.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...keep-happening
                            I read something that he claimed to be a reporter for “WKTY” as opposed to “WKYT” and everyone assumes that he is affiliated with WKYT. Fraud.

Comment

Internal UC investigation into the Men's basketall program is beginning per a University statement.

You'd think they would have started this already? If they find nothing, feel like this is a bad look going public about this and will only amplify recruiting challenges in the meantime. If they do find something, obviously time to move forward but hopefully the ball was already moving or this could cause problems with all these kids (non-UC) already in the portal and falling behind in a coaching search. So now we wait some more...

Comment

Internal UC investigation into the Men's basketall program is beginning per a University statement.

The biggest question I have is why this is just now beginning? I don't have an answer for that. It could be something innocuous like someone was on vacation.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X