Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know I just logged on as I had a thought that is very much in line with bba_1979. Why havent we heard from Cumberland yet? Not even a " i told ya so " Someone earlier in a post that some parents were upset because promises were not forthcoming. Im telling ya i believe where theres smoke theres fire but I also know that the way kids are groomed today beginning in grade school recruiting in todays world is difficult, must be handled with precision and unfortunately many are looking for the best deal to be had and have agents already. You have brought out some good thoughts bba!

Comment

• Originally posted by bba_1979 View Post
      Alright, I want to take a different look at this. Everyone wants to jump on CJB as the bad guy in all of this.

Has there been anything said – anywhere, by anybody, especially the players – of bad actions by CJB or staff towards the players? Throw out last year with Jarron. Jarron had a case of the goo-goos because, unlike Mick, CJB was going to make him play within his system. Leo from jersey – you seem to intimate you have heard things. What are they? Lay it out. If there is something (ala Gregg Marshall), OK then, CJB must go.

But what I’m seeing is a combination of 1) prima donnas who all think they are going to the NBA but are being held back because they agreed to come play for CJB in his system and 2) the mental anguish placed on them by the COVID-19 quarantine. They listen to their buddies who ask why aren’t you getting more minutes? Why aren’t you scoring more? They aren’t getting that one-on-one interaction with the coaching staff and each other to build that team cohesion. CJB and his staff haven’t had time to build their relationship with the players either. I know, it’s the same for other programs…kind of. Every program is different. Not using this as an excuse, just stating fact.

For all we know CJB may have told all of them to hit the portal. Called them out. If they weren’t doing as asked/instructed/taught and didn’t see the playing floor because of that (Harvey?), then who is to blame for that? Yes, these are CJB’s guys. Very surprising to see what is happening. Coach Gee was on postgame Sunday saying what a bright future he saw with the youngsters. Apparently, the coaching staff has been blind-sided by all of this. The only “inside” look we have so far has been tweets from some of the ex-players (T. Nelson, D. Johnson, J. White, K. Johnson) who have access to the team. They have seemingly put the onus on the players. That’s the direction I’m leaning until we are told otherwise.

1961 & 62 was generations ago. ****, so was 1992. UC is not a Top 10 program as some are claiming. What was Mick’s recruiting like the first 4-6 years of his regime? And how many players left the program on Mick? Without a portal??? How “easy” is it to recruit when you can’t watch games in person? Either HS or AAU? When you can’t do in house or campus visits? Trying as a new coach to interest kids to come play at UC? XU has an easier time getting in doors than UC! Oh, and btw – I believe XU has a few in the portal too.

I’ve been a Bearcat fan since Tay Baker was coach and Lloyd Batts was a sophomore. Love my Bearcats. All of this hurts – deeply. But until I hear otherwise, I’m leaning toward trusting CJB and staff to make this right. I know I will be called an idiot. So be it – won’t be the first or last time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know you all love the Bearcats too and are hurting. Hang in there – better days are ahead.
      If this was 2 or 3 players, I'd say chalk it up to players disappointed about playing time, homesick, covid19, etc. But, as of now, we have 4....correct me if I'm wrong....returning scholarship players, and 1 of those has yet to play at all. Something is obviously not right. Like with any job, when things go wrong, it's always the guy at the top who is the fall guy, right or wrong. Brannen may or may not be to blame, but a move must be made. How are we even going to field a team? Walkon? Division 2 transfers? Players in today's world talk to one another. Why would any decent player transfer here under these conditions?

There is no choice but to replace the coach.

Comment

• This just seems weird now. They say there are going to be a 1000 in the portal. They can't all go to a bigger, better school. Probably Tari, maybe Mikey. There are going a hundred kids as good or better than Madsen(s). They can't all go somewhere better. Why leave a team they know they will play on to go somewhere that is up in the air? Are they really going to leave UC to play for Duquesne? or miami? Unless they absolutely can not play for JB. It just does not make any sense. Some good teams will get richer but after that it just seems like reshuffling deck chairs.

Comment

• Chad Brendel on ESPN 1530 with Mo Egger:
          - Doesn't think there was a singular event to point to as "this is what happened"
          - Perhaps staff got caught up too much in wins and losses (particularly in 3-7 period) and not tending to kids' needs
          - Trust clearly broken somewhere along the line
          - Cannot continue to bring in large recruiting classes, but here we are
          - As of now, not expecting anything else (can't say it's over, but anything he expected to happen has already happened - assume this means a move like Mason)
          - Most attractive selling point for players in the transfer portal across the board: playing time (UC can obviously offer this, but will have questions to answer)

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
            We keep talking about a buyout (or firing "for cause") but I also wonder if there could be a scenario where it becomes untenable and it is clearly in the best interests of both parties to move on - and they work out some behind-the-scenes settlement?
            What is the cost of not firing him?

Comment

• https://twitter.com/lobotc2dfw/statu...343641100?s=21
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
                This just seems weird now. They say there are going to be a 1000 in the portal. They can't all go to a bigger, better school. Probably Tari, maybe Mikey. There are going a hundred kids as good or better than Madsen(s). They can't all go somewhere better. Why leave a team they know they will play on to go somewhere that is up in the air? Are they really going to leave UC to play for Duquesne? or miami? Unless they absolutely can not play for JB. It just does not make any sense. Some good teams will get richer but after that it just seems like reshuffling deck chairs.
                I had a very good 40 year professional career with the same employer, but I was always on the lookout for something better. Similarly, maybe the players have rightly reasoned that there is no harm in putting their name out there since they no longer have to sit a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
                  Lobot.. let me hit you with another rumor that I'm hearing that I believe you could theoretically confirm/deny. That Keith Williams walk off the court was NOT injury-related at all; that in fact.. he finally had it with CJB and walked off. I know you said at the time that you knew the issue but could not say. Care to stamp this rumor out ?
                  I wouldn't be surprised. Seems like I read the signs before all the negative recent action. Goodness where are all the CJB fans with the "give him a chance" and "Keith is foul prone statements". I wonder...

Comment

• Originally posted by RecNizeRealBCat View Post

I wouldn't be surprised. Seems like I read the signs before all the negative recent action. Goodness where are all the CJB fans with the "give him a chance" and "Keith is foul prone statements". I wonder...
                    Keith denied the rumor via his Twitter.

Comment

• I know we only really care about our situation. It certainly seems like something had to have happened, but when you look at the number of kids who have already entered the portal you realize it is a NCAA basketball problem. I guess the nice part is that you could really rebuild a team quickly if you were a talented recruiter. This list doesn't include any of our kids yet so it isn't even up to date. There are a ton of highly rated players in the portal. When you figure there are 80 some teams more that are playing in the post season it really is crazy.

I don't know if the coach did anything specifically wrong or not, but I know working for a losing organization (sports or not) is going to run off younger kids. Add in Covid and the stress this has caused for these athletes, I can see that kids would leave. It appears to me that the thing that was pure about college sports (getting to root for a group of kids for 4-5 years at YOUR school) is changing like pro sports where people regularly leave for other teams. I can't imagine it would be any fun to be a college basketball coach in this new world that we are experiencing. I am not defending our situation...merely stating that I don't like the new rules and I think it will ruin my favorite sports attraction - UC Basketball.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Ba...ransferPortal/

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Keith denied the rumor via his Twitter.
                        Thanks but the point still remains and it's been said over and over so far. Large number of players leaving and not just players who didn't receive playing time. Even the Madsen kid is rolling out and you'd think he'd be most excited about staying with the way his year ended. Eason and Saunders, a cornerstone of his recruiting tenure. The cards are being held pretty close to the chest by the university, which is always a sign of something bad or nothing at all

Comment

• Terry Nelson comments from Facebook:

To all of the fans that private message me and all those still waiting to here from someone in the program... I’ll share this. This is what my thoughts are as to why so many are transferring this year.

Regarding players leaving this year, It's a combination of a lot of things. Covid has really isolated the players and not allowed them to enjoy themselves. There were no team functions where you can have teambuilding and really get to know each other and know the staff. This alone has put a lot of mental pressure on the student athletes. This is supposed to be the best time of their lives and it’s not. But we aren’t the only school dealing with this.. check the transfer portal and you’ll see multiple players from the same school leaving in several programs.

All coaches are demanding and many are thought to be crazy ... so it's all work and no play for the players or coaches. Both sides are making sacrifices. The last game of the season they lose by 37 and they're making emotional decisions to leave without ever experiencing what Cincinnati has to offer. Many will regret their decision to leave.

Coach will reload in the transfer portal and we will be better than we have in a while because he will have a full off season to develop his players and teach his system. They will use team building activities to grow a bond with both players and coaches ... this is important.

There will be close to 2,000 hoopers in the transfer portal by seasons end. Many are transferring across the country because of similar situations. We will reload and blow teams out of the water next year... watch. We won’t even bring up who left this time next year. Yes we lost some good ones, but the same way we lost them, will be the same way we get some good ones in return.

What you are experiencing right before your eyes is the new era of college free agency. Players can leave for any reason with a penalty free transfer. Any transfer after that they will have to sit out a year.

This was a close knit team so when one decides to transfer others follow suit. I saw the teams that are offering some of the players and let me say this... many will regret their decision to leave. I didn’t like Huggs after the first couple months of practice. But the more I hung around him off the court, I realized that those were just tactics to poke us and make us respond to competitive environments and never be comfortable.

This generation was given an escape door to leave and not truly learn how to handle adversity. If they had to sit out a year many would stay and work it out. But even I transferred colleges until I found my fit at UC. It happens! So before you attack JB... consider what you’re doing...

In 6 years as a head coach .. won regular season titles in 2018, 2019 & 2020. Won tournament titles in 2017 & 2019. Took this years team to the conference tournament championship with a limited roster and few upper classmen. Now the guys he brought in want to leave... and you want to get rid of the coach? How about we bring in more players that want to be here and build with them.

John loves his family... no scandals... doesn’t curse the guys out or degrade them in any way. Are his tactics different ? Of course they are. Are they effective? Damn right they are! So let’s pump the breaks until we see how he replenishes the roster and how they do this time next year.

Go Bearcats 2021-22!

Comment

• I appreciate what Terry has to say, but it was the same situation for nearly every team in America. Nobody else had nearly the whole team walk away. Sorry, the first red flag was the lack of signed HS recruits for the upcoming season. Many of Mick's players who didn't bolt right away, left after they began practicing with coach JB. Nobody should blame him for losing Logan Johnson, or Nsosme, or Brooks, or the other Mick guys. But, now he's driving away guys that he specifically brought in, guys who initially chose to be here. Again, every team went through this, none other collapsed so totally without a scandal or coaching change. Things will not get better, but worse, the trend line will continue. The roster is gone, make a clean start with the best young coach we can find.

Comment

• Players typically leave a program because they do not like the coach/coaching staff or they do not believe in the coaching system. Has anyone heard why the UC players no longer want to play for Brannen?

Comment

• I think Terry’s post is spot on. I have been spending covid locked in a what I can only describe as a jail cell of my apartment in NYC. While everyone had to deal with covid, the rules around it were different from everyone’s employer, state emergency laws, and guidelines. I didn’t have the luxury of a massive home gym over in Jersey. Didn’t get to see my family in Ohio, spent Christmas and NYE locked down with covid, and had to figure out a way to do my job from home performing construction management which requires a full time site presence. It’s incredibly draining and exhausting. Had someone offered me a way to go to Florida with no penalty and the assurance of a new job with the same salary, I’d have gone in a heart beat as millions of other NYC’ers already have.

These guys felt abandoned by the coach and especially the university. You can arguing it, agree/disagree with it, claim it’s right or wrong but this group of kids felted wronged, held a players only meeting to agree that their belief was accurate, and decided they would move on with the NCAA offering a fresh new start without any penalty of eligibility. To the players credit, they went out and won and played for each other.

credit luke fickle and his staff, how he maneuvered this with football like he did is a feat I’ll never get over.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X