Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jarron Cumberland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jarron Cumberland

    There hasn't been a lot of hype or draft talk surrounding Jarron. I (like most fans) were more concerned with Keith opting to return when it came to draft discussions. Now that we have our roster, here is a thread to discuss Jarron's potential landing spot in the Draft and League.

    The scouting report below has various links with predictions ranging anywhere from 2nd round to undrafted. Even if he is drafted, Jarron may be better suited to play in the G-League and get used to the Pro game. I think he is a naturally gifted basketball player who needs some fine tuning to make an impact in the Pros. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

    https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/jarr...outing-report/
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

    Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

  • #2
    It's funny, I've heard absolutely nothing on Jarron since the season ended. He went into radio silence for the most part on social media.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

    Comment


    • #3
      The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie did his yearly NBA Draft rankings. It’s an 89 page breakdown of his Top 100 players. It also includes international prospects.

      Jarron Cumberland is not listed. I didn’t think Jarron would get drafted but I was surprised to see him outside the top 100.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie did his yearly NBA Draft rankings. It’s an 89 page breakdown of his Top 100 players. It also includes international prospects.

        Jarron Cumberland is not listed. I didn’t think Jarron would get drafted but I was surprised to see him outside the top 100.

        That's absolutely ridiculous! The guy who wrote the article is obviously clueless... I guess between College / International Players, you will find a 100 who are more draft worthy?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BearKatz View Post


          That's absolutely ridiculous! The guy who wrote the article is obviously clueless... I guess between College / International Players, you will find a 100 who are more draft worthy?
          Based on the list I’m not sure I don’t agree with leaving him off. I know this was paywalled article so I don’t know if you’ve seen the whole thing, but you have to take the whole list into consideration. Precious Achiuwa is the #25 ranked player on the list for some context. This guy was supposed to be the highest rated draftee in the conference after James Wiseman ( #2).

          Also take into consideration that the NBA often drafts on potential upside. There’s a difference between being a top 100 college player and a top 100 draft prospect. Jarron is definitely the former but his athleticism and game don’t translate that well to the NBA. He got better as a ball distributor last season but I don’t think he can play PG in the NBA. I also don’t think his bully ball style of driving to the rim would work in the league nearly as well as it did in college. I think despite his size and build he’d end up on the deck a lot.

          Can he work himself into the NBA? I think that’s possible if he improves his ball handling skills. Personally I hope he proves this list wrong. I think he’s going to have to put some effort in and work for it. College ball was easy for him.



          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

          Comment


          • #6
            Exactly! Totally agree and have been saying the same thing for a long time. Nice college player but size and strengths don't transfer well to the NBA. I still say, Tre's length and motor are more appealing at the next level and he has an outside shot down the road, but I just don't see JC finding a role.

            Comment


            • #7
              I understand his athleticism does not translate into a 1st or 2nd Player.... But, I believe if he is given the chance, he will be a better prospect than Clark or Evans.... Because he is a scorer, and while he might be slightly undersized, he is strong enough to overpower most guards, and hang with some of the power forwards in the league.... One thing Cumberland showed during his UC Career , he's not afraid to take a shot... and has a scorers mentality which is what the NBA looks for.... It will play out, and we will see....
              Last edited by BearKatz; 11-18-2020, 08:56 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think a better comparison might be Sean Kilpatrick. He too had some limitations but managed to hang around for a few years and make a few bucks. So there's a chance with the absolute right situation.
                Nobody in the NBA is afraid to take a shot but its predicated on guys being able to go one on one and create their own shot. JC's size dictates he must play PG or SG and he just isn't quick enough nor does he have the handle to play PG and setting up others just isn't his strength. I personally don't think he shoots well enough nor can generate his own shot well enough to play the SG spot, which is loaded with super athletes at that level.
                Look, we all love our Bearcats, especially the guys that commit to staying 4 years and developing their game. Sometimes they morph into bigger than life characters and we have a tendency to over evaluate them as we look through Bearcat colored glasses. They often can be great college players but that has very little to do with their ability to be good NBA players. It can work in reverse also as we occasionally see guys who just don't get it in college but move on to decent pro careers. Its two distinctly different skill sets. There is nothing wrong with having a great college career but not making it in the league. As said many times there are good careers to be made overseas. I try to be as honest as I can be and always root for our guys but sometimes the answer is not what we want to hear.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                  I think a better comparison might be Sean Kilpatrick. He too had some limitations but managed to hang around for a few years and make a few bucks. So there's a chance with the absolute right situation.
                  Nobody in the NBA is afraid to take a shot but its predicated on guys being able to go one on one and create their own shot. JC's size dictates he must play PG or SG and he just isn't quick enough nor does he have the handle to play PG and setting up others just isn't his strength. I personally don't think he shoots well enough nor can generate his own shot well enough to play the SG spot, which is loaded with super athletes at that level.
                  Look, we all love our Bearcats, especially the guys that commit to staying 4 years and developing their game. Sometimes they morph into bigger than life characters and we have a tendency to over evaluate them as we look through Bearcat colored glasses. They often can be great college players but that has very little to do with their ability to be good NBA players. It can work in reverse also as we occasionally see guys who just don't get it in college but move on to decent pro careers. Its two distinctly different skill sets. There is nothing wrong with having a great college career but not making it in the league. As said many times there are good careers to be made overseas. I try to be as honest as I can be and always root for our guys but sometimes the answer is not what we want to hear.


                  Yes, it's all about honesty... and I always will root for a former Bearcat to do well... But I always try to deal in reality... Yes, Jarron has plenty going against him, but also has some strengths... As far as making it to the NBA and not being afraid to take a shot? Did u watch Jacob Evans last year? Not only looking and feeling out of place, he looked traumatized and always gave up the ball, even when wide open... I thought that pick by the Warriors was a reach, but I was thrilled Jacob was picked... I do believe if Cumberland somehow makes it, he might just prove everyone wrong... And I would disagree with you on creating a shot, Jarron was one of the few Bearcats over the last few decades who could actually manufacture a shot and get to the foul line when nothing appeared open... Regardless, if the NBA does not come calling... Jarron will definitely play overseas like other former Bearcats in the past.... Brannen, Hicks to name a few making and easy mid six figures for years to come.... You and I have been going back n forth for years on just how good Cumberland really is... and that's okay...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Looks like he’s getting a Free agent deal. Should at least result in a G league contract .

                    https://www.wnewsj.com/top-stories/1...th-5-nba-teams
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like what they are saying about selecting the best fit and not the most money. That's a tough call for someone in his position as money at this point is I'm sure important. I really think he's better off playing and developing overseas and hoping to catch on later. Money should be better too. Best of luck either way. We will be watching and hoping he can fine tune whatever suggestions he is getting.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Another thing to keep in mind, the NBA has agreed to increase roster sizes to 17 this year. That adds an additional 60 roster spots that previously didn't exist. Doesn't necessarily translate into minutes, but does equate to opportunities.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                          I like what they are saying about selecting the best fit and not the most money. That's a tough call for someone in his position as money at this point is I'm sure important. I really think he's better off playing and developing overseas and hoping to catch on later. Money should be better too. Best of luck either way. We will be watching and hoping he can fine tune whatever suggestions he is getting.
                          Not sure Jarron can go to Europe currently. COVID travel restrictions over there have US citizens fairly isolated right now. I think this is why Tre Scott is playing in Puerto Rico currently.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

                          Comment

                          Responsive Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X