Mark Dantonio steps down from MSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

I’m with you. Not moving to East Lansing, Michigan for ANY reason. But this is about being able to run a program that has the benefit of cashing Big Ten checks versus UC where we’re barely scraping by financially. Also D1 coaches as a group tend to have very inflated egos (there are a couple in my family). I never bought the narrative that Fickell was different despite the carefully crafted image that he and his wife have put out there. If he doesn’t take the MSU job it’s just delaying the inevitable by a year or two. Ryan Day reportedly has NFL ambitions. So does Harbaugh. James Franklin’s name has been associated with several high profile openings. At some point Brian Kelly is going to get fired if he doesn’t win a NC.
    MSU is the pinnacle for him I think, like it was for Dantonio - just get to a major Bowl game every year and come in 3rd or 4th place, make a lot more $$ and coach for a highly visible program, then retire. Am guessing he'll take some Cincy players/coaches with him.

I'm not sure Fickell is in this position again for any other opening, the timing and connections suck for UC in this case. The positive is that there's talent coming in here either way and I'm not convinced Fickell is even that great of a HC, and isn't highly replaceable, provided they can pull local talent like he did.

UC has some great facilities, they are top notch, better than the Bengals', plenty of reason to think things will be fine. That said, the momentum and the class that's coming in this year, the timing is awful.

Comment

Interviewing today, or having a discussion. Either way you look at it, Luke is talking the MSU head football coaching job directly with the MSU Athetic Director.maybe it's a good sign Luke didn't travel there: not seeing their facilities firsthand or meeting players. Make AD Beekman come to Cincinnati is also good, makes MSU look as desperate as they are.

https://flipboard.com/article/https%...uke-fickell%2F
      Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 02-09-2020, 08:24 AM.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Not knowing what's actually happening in this period of time where we "know" everything immediately is tough, but some of the folks here need to pump the brakes, let this thing play out, and stop making statements they may later regret.

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
          Not knowing what's actually happening in this period of time where we "know" everything immediately is tough, but some of the folks here need to pump the brakes, let this thing play out, and stop making statements they may later regret.
          I could not agree more. Fickell has been an outstanding coach at UC and fans of the program should be grateful for the job he and his staff have done. It does seem odd that he will be interviewed in Cincinnati instead of East Lansing. But for anyone to say anything definite when it seems to be based on unnamed “sources with knowledge of the search” is jumping to conclusions without evidence to support those conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

I could not agree more. Fickell has been an outstanding coach at UC and fans of the program should be grateful for the job he and his staff have done. It does seem odd that he will be interviewed in Cincinnati instead of East Lansing. But for anyone to say anything definite when it seems to be based on unnamed “sources with knowledge of the search” is jumping to conclusions without evidence to support those conclusions.
            This. We all just need to walk away from the ledge. The process needs to work itself out.

Comment

Flying your ad around the country to talk to guys is indicative of one thing. They were not planning on being in this situation.

Comment

The plane that Beekman took into Lunken last night is flying into State College PA (Penn St) after the interview. Unless they offer and Fickell excepts on the spot they aren't done interviewing yet.

My whole feeling about this thing is yes, he could take the job. I seriously don't think he will unless the offer is astronomical. I think it's a bad move on his part with everything that MSU has going on administratively right now. Even if Beekman throws a huge check at him, dealing with possible sanctions, legal fallout, competition, etc at that school make it a complete uphill struggle. Maybe Fickell wants that kind of challenge and I do think he could pull it off but is it really worth moving your family to East Lansing MI after just 3 years? East Lansing and the campus are nice but is is definitely not Columbus or Cincinnati as far as quality of family life goes. Especially after the statements he made at the Bicentennial Bash and thereafter about not wanting to relocate his family.

The other side of this equation is that John Cunningham is not Mike Bohn. He's been on the job about 2 months. He also hasn't said much of anything in public regarding Fickell's contract other than he knows an extension needs to get done eventually. This is probably how it should be. I personally wouldn't want to negotiate a multimilion dollar contract in the public sphere. I have no idea if these two have even had time to really feel each other out at this point but I know that Cunningham is probably aware that he'd be run of of town if he let's FIckell walk without a fight. The major issue for Cunningham is budget constraints. When he has to counter the MSU offer will we have enough money to make it worth staying here. We're not going to beat MSU's offer on dollar amount but I think we can where other factors are concerned so it's a matter of can we get close enough to make it work for Fickell and his family.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Are they chasing after Franklin or one of his assistants? Why is plane going to Happy Valley?

Comment

Just saw that. Plane leaving here at 2:30.
                    Last edited by steveedwards; 02-09-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

The plane has filed a new flight plan. Going back to Lansing
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

That is not a good sign.

Comment

The plane has departed Cincinnati.

Comment

Detroit Free Press reported that AD Beekman arrived back in Lansing without Fickell aboard. That doesn't mean that this is over, but at least he didn't convince Fickell to visit now (or didn't try).

Comment

This has got to be tough on Luke, his family, the coaching staff, and the team. The waiting is the hardest part. Still hoping to hear a contract extension with raises for his entire staff. Either way, Luke has been a Godsend to this program and I hope whatever he decides comes with the peace that he has fully weighed all pros and cons.

Comment

https://i.iheart.com/v3/re/new_assets/5e3da837a2ebe2ccc96f61be?ops=max(650,0),quality(80)

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X