Mark Dantonio steps down from MSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coach View Post

You're kidding right? Freeman would be the odds on favorite to get the head coach job.
    If Luke leaves, please understand we don't want it to happen, but if he leaves, Freeman is the next coach. This will be a homerun hire too. Forget any rumors you may hear about Kerry Coombs because Marcus Freeeman is far and away Luke's successor.

This speculation is all well and good, but I still think the MSU job will go to MSU Def Coordinator Tressel. Tressel just gets the interim tag, with no long term contract. MSU will wait out this season with much of the coaching staff intact and start afresh next season. I really hope I am wrong that Luke is top outside candidate, but let's face it, he is "that good". We can't keep him forever, but I think he is gone end of 2020 season.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/st...21-page-6.html

Comment

Flipping recruits from Ole Miss and Illinois are signs of continuity in Clifton. If Fickell was one of the coaches to tell them no, I'd be surprised based on Brent's comments about leverage for contract extension.

Hoping we see an extension that includes a bigger buyout. Luke can't say no to bigger programs forever, at least that's what my mind tells me as my hearts says why not stay in Cincy?

Comment

He said on Espn this afternoon he hasn't been contacted about the job. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't he represent himself in contracts? I thought i recalled he doesn't use an agent.

Comment

He does represent himself. He said he’s talked to Dantonio in the 3-4 weeks preceding this but not anyone else at MSU. He was caught by surprise when Mark resigned. He and Dantonio are friends from the OSU days so this is not unusual.

Football Scoop is about 50/50 on stuff like this. I don’t know that MSU uses search firms but if they do they haven’t even hired one yet. Based on that I’d say FB Scoop was wrong on this.

I was commenting earlier that everyone should pump the brakes until December. MSU will have more options and if Fickell does want the job then that’s a better time to take the position. The Spartans would be better off rolling with Mark Tressel for a year and doing a quality search.

Everybody’s freaking out that Fickell hasn’t said anything as far as a loyalty statement goes. He’s in contract negotiations right now and he’s already stated numerous times that he doesn’t want to uproot his family again. I don’t know that he needs to say anymore.

MSU might be about to get hit with violations in football and the school is still dealing with a huge financial blow from the Larry Nasser case. They may not have the contract money to take on two coaching salaries right now.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              He does represent himself. He said he’s talked to Dantonio in the 3-4 weeks preceding this but not anyone else at MSU. He was caught by surprise when Mark resigned. He and Dantonio are friends from the OSU days so this is not unusual.

Football Scoop is about 50/50 on stuff like this. I don’t know that MSU uses search firms but if they do they haven’t even hired one yet. Based on that I’d say FB Scoop was wrong on this.

I was commenting earlier that everyone should pump the brakes until December. MSU will have more options and if Fickell does want the job then that’s a better time to take the position. The Spartans would be better off rolling with Mark Tressel for a year and doing a quality search.

Everybody’s freaking out that Fickell hasn’t said anything as far as a loyalty statement goes. He’s in contract negotiations right now and he’s already stated numerous times that he doesn’t want to uproot his family again. I don’t know that he needs to say anymore.

MSU might be about to get hit with violations in football and the school is still dealing with a huge financial blow from the Larry Nasser case. They may not have the contract money to take on two coaching salaries right now.
              They are using Glenn Sugiyama (DHR International)
              Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 02-06-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Putting you on the spot... If you HAD to pick.... Luke Fickell staying or leaving?

Comment

My heart says no, but my head says yes.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post

Putting you on the spot... If you HAD to pick.... Luke Fickell staying or leaving?
                    Might interview in December but I think he stays
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Might interview in December but I think he stays
                      MSU fans think it's a done deal 100%. Most confident now than they've been all day.

Comment

Big 10 is a great fit for Luke, and if he gets offered I think he would go. It's not the ideal moment in history to go, but it's still a great opportunity. https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/0...ough-decisions

Comment

I was prepared for all this coaching mess in December and January. I thought we escaped unscathed for one last year and dropped my guard. This going on now seems like a cruel joke.

Comment

Wonder what committ Chris Scott is on about:

https://twitter.com/C_loading01/stat...153576961?s=20

Comment

I guess there is a possibility he may take it, and Freeman is next man in and it's done, or Fick is staying put and this is a lot of the usual bluster and internet speculation. Only time will tell. He was very, very quiet when WV was blowing up a lot of hot air last year s well.

Comment

CLF has been nothing but a positive and bright light for our program. He says all the right things and then acts on them. If we get to keep him for one more year I would be super grateful. However being the oddity that the coaching world is I would not blame him taking the job if it suits his career path. If he does, I hope he has the same success there as he did here as long as he doesn't leave our kids in a lurch like CBK did.

Since its all quiet and I can't really impact the situation in any manner, all I can do is read threads like this and commiserate with my fellow fans.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X