No announcement yet.

Mark Dantonio steps down from MSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know, Fickell has 2 winning seasons at UC in a non-power 5 conference, and all of a sudden he's the guy for MSU???

Money talks, but I think he'd struggle there and have a tough time, as well as shortened career as a HC at this level. If Dantonio couldn't hack it there, not sure how Fickell would.

Comment

The Ohio State crowd seems to think if Fick heads up north to MSU that Freeman becomes UC's next head coach. Their primary concern is that Fick poaches Coombs. An alternate theory is a vacancy in Clifton is an opening to be filled by Coombs.
      "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliftonite View Post
        I don't know, Fickell has 2 winning seasons at UC in a non-power 5 conference, and all of a sudden he's the guy for MSU???

Money talks, but I think he'd struggle there and have a tough time, as well as shortened career as a HC at this level. If Dantonio couldn't hack it there, not sure how Fickell would.

Dantonio won 3 Big Ten titles and took Sparty to CFP until Urban Meyer made conference unbalanced. Fickell is capable of doing that because he can relate to today's recruits.

I don't think he goes due to timing. If it was December, he might. The day before signing best class in UC history, plus best G5 class, I don't think he leaves the people at this time.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

That's a very valid point. It really illustrates to me that Dantonio was under heavy pressure to leave because of this court issue, or he just said the **** with it. Either way, he took their 4mm back in January for that retention bonus, and it will be interesting to see if they try to get it back if he's found to have violated Ncaa rules. Often coaches have clauses that can allow under circumstance to claw back money. That's a lot of dough to someone who puts you in that spot. The kids that really are left holding the bag are the Msu recruits. It will be awful hard with this timing for a coach who would take that job to get kids this year. They just have to hope the recruits Dantonio inked want to stay.

Comment

As far as MSU getting their retention bonus back, Dantonio is remaining in the Athletics Department, working on "special projects". He may be using that to avoid the inevitable. On the other hand, his departure could be related to his stated desire to spend more time with his family. Seems a bit unlikely, though.

Comment

Here's a ranking of NCAA football head coach salaries. Assume MSU throws $4 million at Fickell and the tax man takes half of that. Is a $700-800k net bump in annual compensation worth uprooting your family to enter an uncertain NCAA investigation/violation and recruiting situation to compete in the Big Ten East where you've got to beat out Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State for a shot at the conference title game? Little doubt in my mind he will interview. And if he takes the job he will be relatively successful (double digit win seasons). But gut tells me he doesn't hop for Sparty. Instead he likely continues to rack up ten+ win seasons at UC as one of the top G5 programs and waits for Ryan Day to head off to the NFL in a couple years. Day has limited ties to OSU and if I recall he's from New Hampshire. Any number of NFL programs could come calling and if it were one in the Northeast part of the country it's not inconceivable he'd take it which opens up the Ohio State job for Fickell.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
              Last edited by Binturong05; 02-04-2020, 10:24 PM.
              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
                Here's a ranking of NCAA football head coach salaries. Assume MSU throws $4 million at Fickell and the tax man takes half of that. Is a $700-800k net bump in annual compensation worth uprooting your family to enter an uncertain NCAA investigation/violation and recruiting situation to compete in the Big Ten East where you've got to beat out Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State for a shot at the conference title game? Little doubt in my mind he will interview. And if he takes the job he will be relatively successful (double digit win seasons). But gut tells me he doesn't hop for Sparty. Instead he likely continues to rack up ten+ win seasons at UC as one of the top G5 programs and waits for Ryan Day to head off to the NFL in a couple years. Day has limited ties to OSU and if I recall he's from New Hampshire. Any number of NFL programs could come calling and if it were one in the Northeast part of the country it's not inconceivable he'd take it which opens up the Ohio State job for Fickell.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
                Tosu fans aren't fans of Luke's after his interim coaching year, especially the high rollers. I doubt that job opens up any time soon. Agree, Luke holds off on MSU

Comment

Hey, folks I moved and merged the two threads together. Sorry if this causes any confusion.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

With today being Signing Day, it'd be nice if Luke puts out a preemptive statement.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                      With today being Signing Day, it'd be nice if Luke puts out a preemptive statement.
                      It would be but that would kill all his contract extension negotiation leverage.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Not a good sign IMO. You would think he would have his typical retweet of a signing and Welcome to Cincinnati. Marcus Freeman is our next coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Jalapeno View Post
                          Not a good sign IMO. You would think he would have his typical retweet of a signing and Welcome to Cincinnati. Marcus Freeman is our next coach.
                          And what makes you think he wouldn't take Marcus Freeman with him?? Personally I am praying that Coach Fickell is different and he hangs around for at least one New Year's Day bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post

And what makes you think he wouldn't take Marcus Freeman with him?? Personally I am praying that Coach Fickell is different and he hangs around for at least one New Year's Day bowl.
                            Here's how I see it... I think this has been in the works. Freeman turned down the Titans with the understanding he would get his head coaching job with UC. Fickell feels he is leaving UC in good shape with recruits and a good head coach, and therefore better then when he came. I hope I'm wrong. I went to bed last night thinking there was no way he would leave for the dumpster fire that MSU is going to be. Now I'm not so sure.

Matt Campbell just turned it down. Iowa State coach.
                            Last edited by Flying Jalapeno; 02-05-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

You're kidding right? Freeman would be the odds on favorite to get the head coach job.

Comment

If you're Freeman, I don't think you turn down a HC job at Cincinnati with a loaded class coming in to be DC at Michigan State and a mess of a roster and legal problems.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X