No announcement yet.

Mick Cronin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mick saved the program, and made UC a great defensive program, but I think he provided plenty of evidence that he had peaked here. The Nevada debacle was the 2nd worst loss in the history of the program. Tony Yates as coach probably could have brought it to a win in the 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
      Mick saved the program, and made UC a great defensive program, but I think he provided plenty of evidence that he had peaked here. The Nevada debacle was the 2nd worst loss in the history of the program. Tony Yates as coach probably could have brought it to a win in the 2nd half.
      Not a chance that Yates could've pulled off any win of magnitude. Great alum and player, poor bench coach.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
        Can we close this thread? The man brought UC bball back to life with nothing. He kept the program clean and had a high graduation rate. We are all frustrated that his teams could not win past the first weekend but still, he brought us back from death. He is gone now and we need to focus on the new coach and the new direction of the team. I really could care less what UCLA does or what Cronin does from this point forward.

Look, I give Mick ALL the respect in the world for bringing the program back to relevance......But? If Mick want's to throw jabs at the program, which the TALENT remark was, then fans / forum members are probably going to fire back at him...and rightfully so..... As others just posted, the 2nd Half Meltdown against Nevada was a total disgrace....

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Not a chance that Yates could've pulled off any win of magnitude. Great alum and player, poor bench coach.
          Probably, but you got my point.

Comment

It was time for something different.

Comment

I had to post this. Funny thing is there are no quotes from Mick. Maybe he's restricted,

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...ix-point-guard

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                I had to post this. Funny thing is there are no quotes from Mick. Maybe he's restricted,

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...ix-point-guard
                Coaches cannot comment until LOI is signed. Hope we can get another series with them.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Funny, after last night's Ucla loss to Hofstra:

"Cronin highlighted his favorite stat, deflections, to illustrate the Bruins’ defensive effort. He claimed the game total of nine deflections was the lowest of his coaching career."

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                    Funny, after last night's Ucla loss to Hofstra:

"Cronin highlighted his favorite stat, deflections, to illustrate the Bruins’ defensive effort. He claimed the game total of nine deflections was the lowest of his coaching career."
                    Mick is going to have trouble trying to get that soft UCLA bunch to play with the defensive intensity that he demands. UC pushed them around in both of the on-campus games the past two years.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Mick is going to have trouble trying to get that soft UCLA bunch to play with the defensive intensity that he demands. UC pushed them around in both of the on-campus games the past two years.
                      You've got that right. And there was a funny/curious/disturbing (for UCLA) quote from Jalen Hill in the AP story:

"Jalen Hill scored a career-high 24 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for UCLA (4-1), which suffered its first loss under Cronin. It is Hill's second double-double of the season and fifth of his career. Cody Riley added 12 points before fouling out with 8:22 remaining.

"Hill said he could feel the tide turning in the second half and was unable to stop it.

""From last year I saw it a lot and knew what was happening. It was tough seeing it unfold. We had a lot of unforced turnovers tonight," he said."

Jalen, unable or unwilling?.

Comment

Schadenfreude is not an attractive trait. Time will judge if Mick's career decision was a good one.

I'll always remember him for winning the aftermath of the Xavier brawl. He was great for UC's program for a time. The time has passed. I'll simply wish him well unless he's coaching against my alma mater

​​​​​

Comment

I'm not sure where you're seeing "schadenfreude" in this situation. I think most are rooting for MC (I am, as much as one would root for a non-UC team), and are speaking to the tough row to hoe he has in molding UCLA into the type of team he wants them to be. It's just that the comments coming from LA are telling and ironically funny.

I think part of the purpose for this site is to share information with others; I believe that what the recent comments were.

Schadenfreude-accusations are in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

No comments in this thread for 3 months. Then UCLA loses to a perceived inferior team, and we see posts about Mick and his quotes. Forgive me for thinking people were waiting to pounce on a defeat. If people are rooting for Mick - where were the posts after his team won a few games?

I will stand by my comment - schadenfreude is not an attractive trait

Comment

How about we worry about Brannen? Especially after last night.

This hasn't happened so far but I really would prefer not to have to deal with arguments surrounding old coaches again in my lifetime on here. Once was enough and it divided the house to the point where we lost half the active members on the board. So let's not go down that road again.

Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I take a lot of pleasure in participating in this board. I wish Mick well and hope CJB can bring us home a winner. Go Cats!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X