X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Cronin

Humor yourself with the week's events:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzag.../#7695ab2602fe

Yea I've always liked Mick and will always believe that he didn't get enough credit for turning around a train wreck. That said, when your 2 favorite metrics as a coach are deflections and blocked shots you have pretty much defined yourself as a defensive minded coach........and there's nothing wrong with that. His reputation as a defensive oriented coach was a tough sell here in the midwest and I suspect it will be an ever tougher sell on the west coast. 17 and 18 year old recruits are not enamored with watching lock down defense. Mick is who he is......and I think he's going to have to try to evolve to survive at UCLA. Time will tell.
    Last edited by blackattack; 06-28-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I'm going to mouth off for a sec.

Mick Cronin used to tell us that it was hard to recruit to Cincinnati. There are a lot of reason why that may have been true for him. 5/3 needed a revamp was probably the biggest reason. The area around campus hadn't been gentrified when he got here either and there are many others. The basketball program is certainly better off than it was when Cronin started at UC. It's very hard to make an apples to apples comparison between Cronin and John Brannen like a many epopel have been doing because of all the environmental differences in the program at different points in history. That said, Brannen has recruited pretty well for someone just starting in the position. He's benefitting from the upgraded arena for starters.

Which leads us to this question. Was recruiting to UC hard for Mick because of all these outside factors or because of Mick himself and his system?

Caveat: Try and type your comments without trashing anyone.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Mick fell into the trap that many people do in all lines of work. He stayed around to long. The longer he stayed, the more he convinced himself in his own mind that he was always right. He became to one track, and in turn it was reflected in the kids he pursued, and also the methods he used. I think Brannen is much more open to adapting to what is the best available, and it also helps that he was a very good player, Mick really never was/did either. To rigid in his approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          I'm going to mouth off for a sec.

Mick Cronin used to tell us that it was hard to recruit to Cincinnati. There are a lot of reason why that may have been true for him. 5/3 needed a revamp was probably the biggest reason. The area around campus hadn't been gentrified when he got here either and there are many others. The basketball program is certainly better off than it was when Cronin started at UC. It's very hard to make an apples to apples comparison between Cronin and John Brannen like a many epopel have been doing because of all the environmental differences in the program at different points in history. That said, Brannen has recruited pretty well for someone just starting in the position. He's benefitting from the upgraded arena for starters.
          First, I give him all the credit in the world for reconstructing the program and for making the tournament year after year; all that was impressive. But I don't know what to believe from ExHCMC. On his last radio show he was asked about how the revamped Shoe was helping recruiting; he replied that recruits didn't care about the arenas, they only cared about the locker rooms. Moral of the story is he said a lot of things, and a lot of statements were contradictory and very self-serving.

Comment

Mick's UCLA goal to be number 1 in scoring offense, scoring defense, and rebounding is admirable, but unattainable. Playing loose and fast on Defense with occasional fast turnovers plus added rebounds (offensive or defensive) will help toward the #1 offense goal. However, when a team plays great defense, the other teams slow up in half court to find the best shot. This time lost will take away from offensive opportunities. You can make up for that by taking quick shots on offense, but you better make the shots or Mick will kill your confidence by putting you on the bench,

I wish Mick success. I thank Mick for turning the program around. As Coach said, he stayed in one place too long without staying fresh/adapting. I hope both programs benefit from the change. There is talent aplenty in Westwood and also in Clifton.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

For whatever reason either real or imagined that Mick couldn' t get scoring players into the program, the fact is the players counted on for the bulk of the the scoring under Mick never ever became true scoring threats. The go to guy when a score is imperative just never was these past few years. It may be because defense has/ was emphasized more or not but the prime objective in the game is to get the ball in the hoop. You have to have players that know how to obtain points when needed.

Comment

Here's an interesting espn.com article on Mick's decision to go for the UCLA job:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ust-basketball

Comment

Mick’s a good guy. I will always appreciate the job he did resurrecting the program and avoiding any scandal or negative headlines. I wish him well.
                  ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                    Here's an interesting espn.com article on Mick's decision to go for the UCLA job:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ust-basketball
                    "Hopefully, [the fans will] appreciate that we'll play hard," he said. "I would like to have the same culture and the same character [from Cincinnati] with more talent."

That's a lot of disrespect for the guys who played here, and the school as well. I was a big supporter of his when he took over, but now I'm glad he's gone.

Or this. Does he really think they would take Ed Jucker's name off the court for him?

"people would say to me, 'You stay at Cincinnati, your name will be on the court someday.' Is that really what I want? To me that shouldn't be what drives you."
                    Last edited by longtimefan; 07-07-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

More and more of what comes out of his mouth at UCLA tells me he was never really happy here. I'm not sure at what point in time that occurred but I think it something to do with Bohn. Just a hunch.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

More and more of what comes out of his mouth at UCLA tells me he was never really happy here. I'm not sure at what point in time that occurred but I think it something to do with Bohn. Just a hunch.
                        I think that’s true. Mike Bohn’s emphasis on football and his perceived dislike of the Cronin style of play added to his desire to move on. And it’s not like he went to Western Michigan. He was offered at UCLA! That’s a step up no matter how you look at it.
                        ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

More and more of what comes out of his mouth confirms what I've always thought of him - his statements were/are generally one-half BS and always self-serving.

He did a good job for us on the court, and I'll always be impressed and grateful for the string of tournament appearances and the quality of the type of kids he recruited here, but I'm happy I don't have to listen to him anymore.

Comment

"Hopefully, [the fans will] appreciate that we'll play hard," he said. "I would like to have the same culture and the same character [from Cincinnati] with more talent."

REALLY? With more talent? Mick needs to take a good long look in the mirror... If he thinks the UCLA name alone, will land him more talented recruits, he's wrong.... The majority of the Offensive Minded Players wanted nothing to do with his coaching style or philosophy... That's why we lost recruit after recruit to other / smaller programs .... I preached all last year something needed to change and it did... I will lay $$$ Mick is gone within (5)yrs.... We will see!

Comment

Can we close this thread? The man brought UC bball back to life with nothing. He kept the program clean and had a high graduation rate. We are all frustrated that his teams could not win past the first weekend but still, he brought us back from death. He is gone now and we need to focus on the new coach and the new direction of the team. I really could care less what UCLA does or what Cronin does from this point forward.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X