Waiver for fall sports athletes passed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiver for fall sports athletes passed

Caught this yesterday, The NCAA Board of Governors passed an eligibility waiver that extends the eligibility for all fall sports participants. Even if they end up playing (football). In a nutshell, this upcoming season doesn't count on the 5 year window for anyone.

I'm guessing at some point we will see a one year moratorium on the scholarship max limit for football in particular. The next question is how do you pay for an extra class of athletes?
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I saw that in passing as well and my first thought was surely this will be extended to spring sports too at some point. If the SEC, Big 12, AAC, and ACC get an extra class of players or several of those sixth year senior leaders types that help make good teams great, it will be unfair to the Pac 12 and B!G.

One thing I am curious, and still expect to see, is players defect from teams not playing this season, transfer, and seek immediate eligibility since this year doesn't count. It's way late for most players, but if Justin Fields wanted to transfer, few teams would say no. I suspect the number of players who could come in at this point and make an impact would be small. Probably just a few eleite players who will be taken in the 2021 NFL draft, but not opting to sit out. Why play in the spring instead of getting ready for the draft? Surely the dire circumstance of the COVID situation would merit exemptions and the added top tier talent would make for many more entertaining/competitive games.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X