Marge Schott Stadium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marge Schott Stadium

Where current racial events are concerned I've tried not to wade into the discussion on here because politics on the board and arguments etc.. I try and leave that stuff on Twitter. So, when the University opted to pull Charles McMicken's name from the College of Arts and Sciences for being a racist slave owner, I largely left the topic alone because while it certainly concerned UC's History, it didn't really touch on sports which is the obvious focus of this site.

Now we have to talk about something.

Yesterday, the captain of the baseball team, Nate Moore, along with MLB alumni Kevin Youkilis and former player Jordan Ramey launched a call asking for Marge Schott's name to be pulled from baseball stadium because of Marge's racist past history. Marge's past was put on display years ago where the Cincinnati Reds were concerned and I don't know that rehashing her life really serves a purpose here unless there are members of the board who truly don't know anything about her. The demographic of this board seems to skew to the older side and the vast majority of us were around when Marge had to sell the Reds mostly due to this exact problem.

I appreciate the philanthropy of the Schott Foundation, who made the donation to help construct the stadium and it's important realize that Marge did not make the donation herself. The Foundation made it after her death. At the time it was made, I had some seconds thoughts about having her name on the building and that was in 2004.

My personal thoughts on this are that the $2M donation should be returned to the Schott Foundation and the name removed.

The first thing that comes to my mind is renaming the baseball stadium for Glenn Sample.

Keith Jenkins first article for the Enquirer since returning to Cincinnati is this:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...um/3170386001/

I am interested in hearing everyone's opinion here but please tread carefully in this thread. I will remove racist statements from the dicussion. Just don't do it.
    Last edited by Lobot; 06-16-2020, 11:09 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Here's the petition if you support the name change and want to sign on.

https://www.change.org/p/university-...schott-stadium
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/202...ge-schott-reds
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

https://sports.yahoo.com/cincinnati-...183947588.html
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I normally oppose political correctness stuff but I can see why they would remove her name. She would say some pretty racist stuff and basically hated everyone that was different from her. I worked somewhere that interacted with Marge and met her several times. I found her to be an even meaner person than what you saw in public. Just my opinion. Sorry if it offends any Marge fans. I know she did alot for the zoo but that can't excuse some of the other stuff she said.

Comment

Marge clearly offended more than one group of people with her comments, no doubt. I think I saw in another thread, possibly Facebook, that she willed the University two million dollars. I don't understand if the funds were directed toward naming rights or the University made a decision on how to use the funds. I agree that it is time to remove her name. What is the process/background of the donation and will refunds need to be given to her estate? Even with the financial state of the University and Athletic Dept; if we need to return that amount it is time.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

That was a relatively recent deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they would be legally bound to leave it as is or return it if they want to change it. Youklis stirred it up, he should take her out of it with a big donation if he wanted to go down this road. Schools have enough to worry about financially.

Comment

I was uncomfortable from the start with UC naming the stadium after her. Marge was not someone that had a fine reputation with people and then made one careless comment. She was an avowed racist and anti-semite. Schott is the poster child for many of the racism in Cincinnati. I would hate to be anyone connected to the UC baseball program (former players, current players, coaches, etc) and have to explain who she was.
                I have no idea what the legalities are in doing this, but if at all possible I would remove her name.

Comment

I was always uncomfortable with the name as well and surprised it took this long. I am not a fan of cancel culture but this is a no brainer to remove the Schott name. Just a comment on A&S and from what I remember, the College of A&S never officially had the name McMicken so that was also an easy decision to disavow the name.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDog View Post
                    I was always uncomfortable with the name as well and surprised it took this long. I am not a fan of cancel culture but this is a no brainer to remove the Schott name. Just a comment on A&S and from what I remember, the College of A&S never officially had the name McMicken so that was also an easy decision to disavow the name.
                    I was uncomfortable with it as well but you sure about the college? The McMicken thing is a little confusing because you have the McMicken College of Art and Sciences, which is what I remember from previous years, and they've already done away with that. But you also have the Charles McMicken Society (UC Donor tiers) and of course, McMicken Hall. Last I heard they were going to change the name of the society and leave the name on the building. The building is a tough one. They should probably change it but it's always been that and it's ingrained in the lyrics to fight songs and all kinds of other stuff. I have no idea what they would change it too if they made that move.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I was uncomfortable with it as well but you sure about the college? The McMicken thing is a little confusing because you have the McMicken College of Art and Sciences, which is what I remember from previous years, and they've already done away with that. But you also have the Charles McMicken Society (UC Donor tiers) and of course, McMicken Hall. Last I heard they were going to change the name of the society and leave the name on the building. The building is a tough one. They should probably change it but it's always been that and it's ingrained in the lyrics to fight songs and all kinds of other stuff. I have no idea what they would change it too if they made that move.
                      Here is some context on the McMicken name.

https://www.uc.edu/president/priorit...ing-group.html

Comment

Well - UC made national news - not necessarily a bad thing. The article is about continuing the conversation about how do institutions find a middle ground? Should there be there a middle ground? Is it that people who have made racist comments, can never donate to public institutions (in Marge's case, her and her foundation have donated millions to the zoo, boy scouts, St Ursula Academy, and Christ hospital according to Paul Daughtery)? Or can they still donate, but never have their names associated with their donations? Are any monies from a family or trust of someone who made comments like this off limits for all times? If a family / trust's opinions are opposite of the original person who created the wealth, does that change anything? Can these trusts donate anomalously? All interesting discussion points as we continue to move forward.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/10/87351...or-now-offends

Comment

The naming issue will be discussed at the June 23 BoT meeting. The meeting was already on the schedule. Here are some more links to articles on the topic.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...hs/5345590002/

https://theathletic.com/1866346/2020...ge-is-obvious/ ($)

I wanted to include the statement that UC made but they didn't create a permanent link for it on any of the UC websites. It was issued via email only. This is the best I can do.

https://twitter.com/Williams_Justin/...701766/photo/1

Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I meant to point out the St. Ursula HS has already announced yesterday they will pull the Schott name off everything at the school. I would expect UC to follow suit.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              I meant to point out the St. Ursula HS has already announced yesterday they will pull the Schott name off everything at the school. I would expect UC to follow suit.
                              St. Ursula is getting rid of the name, but they're not returning the money.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X