Springs sports participants get an extra year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs sports participants get an extra year

The NCAA decided a couple of days ago to grant an extra year of eligibility to spring sports participants. Winter sports did not get the same treatment.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...acted-covid-19
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

The sentiments are admirable. It stinks that these college athletes would lose a year of eligibility.

Although the effects of this decision will be interesting to keep tabs on. How will schools afford this? Will this have adverse impact to incoming athletes due to limited scholarship availability? Time will tell...

Comment

Baseball will get a scholarship limit waiver. I know that much but the question then becomes how do the athletic departments afford the extra class of athletes.
      Last edited by Lobot; 04-03-2020, 09:48 AM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Respectfully, I disagree. I do not see the two as mutually exclusive. Regardless of any limit waivers, the question is absolutely about affordability. It is not about affording the "new" or the "old"class...it is about affording the entire lot of student athletes. Regardless of NCAA decisions, the individual schools need to decide what to do with this

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
          Respectfully, I disagree. I do not see the two as mutually exclusive. Regardless of any limit waivers, the question is absolutely about affordability. It is not about affording the "new" or the "old"class...it is about affording the entire lot of student athletes. Regardless of NCAA decisions, the individual schools need to decide what to do with this
          We're not disagreeing. By extra class I meant all classes including the 2020 spring seniors. And yeah, I have no idea how we pay for this. If you keep the entire class of Baseball seniors around, there's probably title IX issues that are going to crop up somewhere. They shouldn't becuase of extinuating circumstances but they probably will.

Just looking at individual sports, Men and Women's Golf lost half a season in the spring so I have no idea what you do there and the same with Women's Tennis.

Women's Lacrosse played a month and lost the rest of the season.

Women's Soccer lost the whole season.

Men and Women's Track and Field finished the indoor season in the winter but lost the entire Outdoor season.

Some of this will sort itself out with seniors graduating and leaving school but for those who aren't done and want to come back, UCATS is going to have to step up to finance all this. I'm sure the AD has done the work already on this but the variable is who from the senior class is eligible to return and actually wants to return.

The Elephant in the room is.. What if there's no football in the fall? Then a lot of schools are going to be in serious trouble because the football ticket sales are what funds most of the other smaller non revenue sports. That's a huge issue especially for UC being heavily in debt right now.

Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Just saw a tweet where Wyoming HC Craig Bohl and his wife kicked in 100K to fund the spring sports schollies for returning seniors.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Looks like Wisconsin is the first school to tell the spring semester seniors they can't come back. No waivers will be sought by the administration. Stinks for the seniors but I think this is going to be the way forward for a lot of schools because of scholarships costs.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...orts-next-year

Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X