No announcement yet.

California Gov signs Pay the Players legislation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emmert responded to the Passage of the bill.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ct/3859075002/

I want to point out that most of what he says here is politics. In the 2nd and 3rd paragph of the article, he's not telling the truth. Emmert is very obviously trying to protect his job and the NCAA cash cow. I don't know entirely how I feel on this entire subject but the interview is coming from a guy that makes 2.9 million in compensation a year.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Multiple states have now introduced bills that copy California's. It looks like Florida is about to pass one. There's also a federal bill going through Congress right now that would conceivably put everything on a level playing field.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The NCAA has voted to look into allowing Compensation. Multiple outlets got the reporting wrong in this move saying they were allowing players to be paid for name image and likeness. This not the case.

The NCAA will discuss setting up rules to allow it. There are no rules in place currently. No ones getting paid yet. (Except them)
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          The NCAA has voted to look into allowing Compensation. Multiple outlets got the reporting wrong in this move saying they were allowing players to be paid for name image and likeness. This not the case.

The NCAA will discuss setting up rules to allow it. There are no rules in place currently. No ones getting paid yet. (Except them)
          They did vote to allow players to profit from name, image, and likeness. Now the rules have to catch up to the general guidance. I don't expect to see players setting up autograph booths at the next Midnight Madness, but I can see players appearing in tv commercials. My hope is that the NCAA somehow makes this work such that boosters cannot pay or hire players to endorse their products allowing the rich to get richer. It would be tough to swallow if all of a sudden Ok St basketball has 8-10 5 star recruits next year, each with a seven figure endorsement contract for T. Boone Pickens. Since we know how fast the NCAA moves on these kinds of things, expect it will be several years to figure out.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

It would be tough to swallow if all of a sudden Ok St basketball has 8-10 5 star recruits next year, each with a seven figure endorsement contract for T. Boone Pickens. Since we know how fast the NCAA moves on these kinds of things, expect it will be several years to figure out.
            Or, at least someone who's still alive. T. Boone died in September. But, I get the drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
              Great news and long overdue. I’m a huge supporter of capitalism.
              The easiest and most logical rule change would be to strike down the NFL's requirement a player be three years removed from HS to be eligible. Trevor Lawrence should have been the #1 draft pick last year. He, and other players who have hit the genetic lottery like him, should not be prohibited from capitalizing on their skills. If a team will expend the $ on a 19 year old then so be it. Allowing super star athletes to go pro whenever the market dictates would eliminate much of the need for rules like the one California just passed. By the way, same goes for the NBA. The one-and-done rule needs to go. Guys like Lebron and Shawn Kemp made great livings without subsidizing a collegiate athletics program as an entry fee to professional sports.
              Last edited by Binturong05; 12-29-2019, 08:51 PM.
              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post

The easiest and most logical rule change would be to strike down the NFL's requirement a player be three years removed from HS to be eligible. Trevor Lawrence should have been the #1 draft pick last year. He, and other players who have hit the genetic lottery like him, should not be prohibited from capitalizing on their skills. If a team will expend the $ on a 19 year old then so be it. Allowing super star athletes to go pro whenever the market dictates would eliminate much of the need for rules like the one California just passed. By the way, same goes for the NBA. The one-and-done rule needs to go. Guys like Lebron and Shawn Kemp made great livings without subsidizing a collegiate athletics program as an entry fee to professional sports.
                I would like to see a similar rule to MLB, you can enter draft pool after HS or minimum 3 years on campus. That is fairest option to the kids and keeps student-athlete amateurs. Unfortunately, this won't work. Today, there's little tv interest in either college or minor league baseball. Same for hockey, though I love going to both at either level. No one pays attention to the G-League or D-league, whatever minor league basketball is. It might work for FB, BB because of the unknown talents.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

[QUOTE=Binturong05;n370331]

The easiest and most logical rule change would be to strike down the NFL's requirement a player be three years removed from HS to be eligible. Trevor Lawrence should have been the #1 draft pick last year. He, and other players who have hit the genetic lottery like him, should not be prohibited from capitalizing on their skills. If a team will expend the $ on a 19 year old then so be it.

I wish this was the current situation! As a Bengals fan, even though I like Burrow, I would pick Lawrence number 1 this year if he was available.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X