Random sportswriter stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random sportswriter stuff

I follow Ed Werder the former ESPN Dallas based NFL reporter on Twitter. He's been kind of in limbo since ESPN laid him off because the the terms of his seperation have him getting paid until the contract is out. I wondered if there were any other former ESPNers in the same boat or whether Ed was some sort of anomaly.

Found out today that both Brett McMurphy and Jeff Goodman will be joining the Stadium network. Goodman's last week with ESPN was this past week of the NBA draft. Both are under non compete clauses from their ESPN days but it appears that the ESPN clauses don't cover Stadium.

Stadium is a online only presence that streams events through Twitter and other internet apps. It's also an App in the AppleTV store. Not sure about Android or Amazon Fire TV but it's work checking out. They seem to be loading up on reporters with TV experience as opposed to the Athletic which loaded up on print journalists. Something to watch down the road.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Here's the Stadium Website. https://watchstadium.com/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Stadium is a online only presence that streams events through Twitter and other internet apps. It's also an App in the AppleTV store. Not sure about Android or Amazon Fire TV but it's work checking out. They seem to be loading up on reporters with TV experience as opposed to the Athletic which loaded up on print journalists. Something to watch down the road.[/QUOTE]

Stadium has an over-the-air TV presence, too. They took over the channels the former American Sports Network had (I'm not sure how this worked, i.e., ASN went out of business, was purchased, or other).

I liked the ASN because they showed lots of games, such as college football and basketball live and replay games (both recent and in the summer/off-season). They also showed a lot of non-"Power" conference games. So far I'm less impressed with Stadium's product; there's not as many games, and they have a lot of talk.

Comment

And now we all know what Stadium is. They got the Courtney Smith interview (in the Zach Smith/UMeyer situation) because Brett McMurrphy is the one who broke the story.

McMurphy used to work at Espn but was let go in a money saving move. He has a non-compete clause until mid-August, so he has been working vis his Twitter feed.

A very unsecret secret is that McMurphy's next employer is - Stadium!

Ironically, Espn is still paying McMurphy, but were hours behind on this story because they don't have somebody like McMurphy covering college FB for them.

Comment

Stadium is available over the air in Cincinnati, Channel 12.3. Not sure if the cable systems are carrying it.

Comment

If I were Stadium I wouldn't even bother with cable company carriage.

Cable is almost a complete dead end at this point unless you're in a location where high speed internet for streaming is not available or if you're so rural you're out of range of over the air channels. 5G wireless is in the testing stages here in Texas in Austin and Dallas. That's the end of consumer cable and possibly fiber optics when it rolls out via the Cellular carriers. This why Verizon and AT&T dumped their landlines, DSL and some of their fiber optics to Frontier Communications a couple of years ago. In Texas, AT&T seems to be adding buried fiber optics for internet only service to existing U-Verse customers trying to upgrade to faster speeds but they aren't doing any other network build outs right now to my knowledge. Everything will be over 5G Gigabit cellular in a couple of years if not before.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X