Jamelle Elliott let go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamelle Elliott let go

Mike Bohn has announced that Elliott will not be retained.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Interesting, after having probably the best season since she arrived. Perhaps the agreement to leave was mutual?

Comment

Her contract was up after this past season. I think Mike Bohn would have fired her years ago if not for the buyout on her contract. The fact that she was around this long is mostly due to the extension that Whit Babcock gave her. She inherited a really bad mess but 9 years is a long time for the middling results she got on the court. Never made the NCAAs. Got bounced in round one of the WNIT twice.

They couldn't really afford to pay two coaches in a non revenue generating sport so they had to wait until the end of the contract. It's unfortunate that this is a non revenue generating sport for us. Eventually we have to make a commitment to support this program properly. It's never going to happen if people don't show up for the games. There's been a lack of support for this program for 25 years at least. Even when Laurie Pirtle ocaasionally made the NCAA tournament, no one came to the games.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

We probably need a thread on how bad a job Babcock did at UC on his way to his "dream" job.

​As an aside, if I was a coach or AD-type person with a dream job vision, I'd sign up at UC since we always seem to lose them in that manner.

​But as for Ms. Elliott, while I hate to see people lose their jobs, this action did not make me sad at all.

Comment

Agree. Without being intentionally cruel, this was long overdue and as said previously, a financially dictated timing. I hope the next hire can energize the program. There is enough local talent that they could be much more competitive if they just landed some rather than a broader, more expansive (and expensive) recruiting footprint.

Comment

I would like to see them go after Jeff Hans @ Thomas More. I know he's in a lower division but he has his team in contention year after year. They lost in the semi-finals this year. Look at his roster. They are all local girls. I'm not saying they would qualify for Division 1, I'm saying he must already have some type pipeline with the local coaches.

I can't imagine him being any worse than the last two Women's Basketball Coaches we had and hopefully a lot better.

Comment

Looking back, I think the die may have been cast when she wore a UConn shirt at the final 4 in 2017. I know she played there, but you just don't do that when you are the head coach of another team, especially another team in the same league. I'd say Bohn made the decision that day, if he hadn't already, and was just waiting for her contract to expire.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                Looking back, I think the die may have been cast when she wore a UConn shirt at the final 4 in 2017. I know she played there, but you just don't do that when you are the head coach of another team, especially another team in the same league. I'd say Bohn made the decision that day, if he hadn't already, and was just waiting for her contract to expire.
                I'm sure this factored in some way but I'd like to think that her record previous to this act was the main cause of her firing. A lot of people wanted her gone long before this happened.

Everything I know , which frankly isn't a ton, about Jamelle said she was a good coach and good mentor to her players. That only takes you so far when you're sub .500 over your UC career. Results on the court matter and outside of 2011 and this year, that didn't happen and never happened to the level of expectations toward improvement of the program. No NCAA appearance in 9 years. Whit Babcock should have never extended her and if he hadn't, we would have had this conversation much earlier in the timeline.

Something everyone's ignored in discussing this as far as I know, the APR score. WBB's Multiyear APR is at 959. That's about 15 points lower than the next lowest team during the 5 year running avg. It's not a knock on the athletes but you could infer that the women's program has a lack of academic awareness in relation to other programs in the Athletic Dept.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The leading candiate to replace Jamelle Elliott is Michelle Clark Heard. Looks like we're in a bidding war with Ole Miss. SHe's currently the coach at WKU. She's originally from Louisville so she knows the region.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Looks like we won the bidding war. She's expected to be announced as the new head coach
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I guess, judging from Friday night's results, Geno should have been paying more attention to his Ucons squad and Notre Dame than to Elliott's plight in Cincinnati.

​Part of me was rooting for the Ucons; their results don't reflect on the AAC (they're in their own realm), but it's nice to see the AAC's name out there as long as possible. I don't know how the money side works, but maybe a championship means more $ for the conference? And we all know UC needs $!

But once Geno started mouthing-off, he lost me.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X