The Athletic is launching a Cincinnati site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Athletic is launching a Cincinnati site

On Feb. 12 the Athletic subscription sports site will launch a Cincinnati branded page at: https://theathletic.com/cincinnati/

Mo Egger, Shannon Russell, Joe Goodberry and C. Trent Rosecrans will be writing for it. Subscriptions are $7.99/month or $48/year currently. I've been a subscriber since it launched nationally and the national coverage of college sports has been really good. Something to consider for everyone.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Shannon Russell covering UC? I'll have to be convinced on that one.

Comment

Yeah that's the problem everyone seems to be having. That and the fact that they will cover the Buckeyes on a Cincinnati site.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responding to the above, Shannon obviously was on the XU beat a while and continues to be close to the program. So perhaps there will be more X content from her than UC. But I don't have any issues with any coverage she gives to UC - she's already done some with WCPO.com right?

Also, I don't get the big to do about the OSU stuff. OSU articles will show up on the UC and Cleveland pages, right? It's not like your money goes only to Cincy coverage - you click on the article or you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
          Responding to the above, Shannon obviously was on the XU beat a while and continues to be close to the program. So perhaps there will be more X content from her than UC. But I don't have any issues with any coverage she gives to UC - she's already done some with WCPO.com right?

Also, I don't get the big to do about the OSU stuff. OSU articles will show up on the UC and Cleveland pages, right? It's not like your money goes only to Cincy coverage - you click on the article or you don't.
          I just do not think you will get anything from Shannon Russell that you cannot get elsewhere, at least for UC. I do not care what Ohio State does. On the bright side, I saw no mention of Kentucky anywhere. I will pass for now

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

I just do not think you will get anything from Shannon Russell that you cannot get elsewhere, at least for UC. I do not care what Ohio State does. On the bright side, I saw no mention of Kentucky anywhere. I will pass for now

Fair. It will be nice to have any extra coverage but, yeah, not worth subscribing too it just because she might write an article now and again.

Comment

They have a special for $3.49/mo + a tee shirt. It looks like a pre-launch special for the Cincinnati site.

Comment

There's a possibility that Shannon Russell may not be the permanent assigment writer for the Bearcats.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Any update on who covers UC for the Athletic? I was waiting on this to get a subscription as my focus is on UC and if there isn't decent content on my sports, it's not going to be worth it for me.

Comment

Looks like it'™s Justin Williams and some Shannon Russell and a little Mo Egger. It'™s been solid coverage so far.

It'™s better than what the Enquirer is doing in my opinion. Groeschen seems to have stepped it up lately due to competition but a lot of his stuff is just reposts of GoBearcats and other sources recently. Dave Clarke seems to read this board, other boards and and twitter and that's about it. Late and useless. (Hi Dave)
                    Last edited by Lobot; 07-03-2018, 09:42 AM.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The Athletic is a year in and Justin WIlliams is now the permanent writer for UC coverage in both revenue sports. If you're going to sign up, do it ASAP before the summer subscription promos expire.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

For anyone interested in subscribing to the Athletic that hasn't already done so. Here's my referral link.

You get 40% off a year's subscription rate and I pick up a $25 Amazon credit if you sign up. You can support Justin WIlliams writing and career and thank me for my terrible opinions at the same time.

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=...hared_by=58910
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I'm going yank this thread out of obscurity here. We've sort of lost Justin Williams as a local UC beat guy due to The Athletic's restructuring and layoffs and buyout. Congrats to him to basically moving up to Big XII coverage but I think we miss him on the local beat.

Here's the good news. The New York Times, who is the The Athletic's owner now, has placed The Athletic content on Apple News+ . If you're already subscribing to Apple News+, you get it for no additional cost. If you're a subscriber to the Athletic site and have Apple News+ , you can drop your site subscription and save some money.

Any Android ecosystem folks out there that can verify that the content is available on Google News or similiar, please chime i.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            I'm going yank this thread out of obscurity here. We've sort of lost Justin Williams as a local UC beat guy due to The Athletic's restructuring and layoffs and buyout. Congrats to him to basically moving up to Big XII coverage but I think we miss him on the local beat.

Here's the good news. The New York Times, who is the The Athletic's owner now, has placed The Athletic content on Apple News+ . If you're already subscribing to Apple News+, you get it for no additional cost. If you're a subscriber to the Athletic site and have Apple News+ , you can drop your site subscription and save some money.

Any Android ecosystem folks out there that can verify that the content is available on Google News or similiar, please chime i.
                            If there’s no dedicated UC guy I’ll drop my subscription. Nothing UC specific in over a month.
                            Last edited by longtimefan; 12-23-2023, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

If there’s no dedicated UC guy I’ll drop my subscription. Nothing UC specific in over a month.
                              agreed - I get Celtic news but that is about all I see

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X