X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobot
    started a topic The Athletic is launching a Cincinnati site

The Athletic is launching a Cincinnati site

On Feb. 12 the Athletic subscription sports site will launch a Cincinnati branded page at: https://theathletic.com/cincinnati/

Mo Egger, Shannon Russell, Joe Goodberry and C. Trent Rosecrans will be writing for it. Subscriptions are $7.99/month or $48/year currently. I've been a subscriber since it launched nationally and the national coverage of college sports has been really good. Something to consider for everyone.

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    It doesn't appear The Athletic will cover local teams per this response

"
    https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?ur...0Pu44TLKsg--~D Hailey (The Athletic)

Dec 29, 2023, 7:56 PM CST

Hi there,
    Thanks for your interest. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience and the delay.
    We are always looking to expand our coverage! We'd love it if you would fill out our coverage suggestion form found at theathletic.com/contact-support by selecting Suggestion and then Coverage Suggestion so our newsroom can review it!
    Thanks for being a part of The Athletic, and we hope you continue to enjoy our coverage.
    Cheers,
    Hailey'

Leave a comment:

• D.A.H.
    replied
    its a shame - i really enjoyed justin william's articles - he's always been insightful - really liked when he'd embed plays into his articles, to reinforce a point. i could take or leave their bengals coverage, but their reds coverage is just a bunch of stat nerds running on about their man crushes on votto

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    Originally posted by bba_1979 View Post
    Like many here, I subscribed because of the local coverage supplied for Cincinnati sports. Especially UC. But since the NYT purchase and the layoffs and lack of local coverage, reading The Athletic has become almost an afterthought for me. I won’t be renewing when my subscription ends.

It’s truly sad, because I really enjoyed reading the local coverage. Especially since the Enquirer has gone downhill also.
    Right you are, if you’re content reading about Kansas, Kentucky, NC, and Duke, The Athletic may still have some value. They cover the Bengals and Reds, but local does a good job there. I just don’t need the site anymore.

Leave a comment:

• bba_1979
    replied
    Like many here, I subscribed because of the local coverage supplied for Cincinnati sports. Especially UC. But since the NYT purchase and the layoffs and lack of local coverage, reading The Athletic has become almost an afterthought for me. I won’t be renewing when my subscription ends.

It’s truly sad, because I really enjoyed reading the local coverage. Especially since the Enquirer has gone downhill also.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
    Is Justin still covering? I thought he was let go or moved on?
    The Athletic moved him to the national CFB and MBB writer pool with David Ubben, Nicole Auerbach, Max Olsen etc. There's no local UC beat writer anymore and I think that's the case across the site with local writers for college teams.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Is Justin still covering? I thought he was let go or moved on?

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Justin's written about 4 UC basketball related articles since football started. No other UC related content that wasn't part of national news.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    I asked last week if there would be a replacement UC beat writer, got a form response, asked again, no response. I cancelled my account tonight.

Leave a comment:

• leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

If there’s no dedicated UC guy I’ll drop my subscription. Nothing UC specific in over a month.
    agreed - I get Celtic news but that is about all I see

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    I'm going yank this thread out of obscurity here. We've sort of lost Justin Williams as a local UC beat guy due to The Athletic's restructuring and layoffs and buyout. Congrats to him to basically moving up to Big XII coverage but I think we miss him on the local beat.

Here's the good news. The New York Times, who is the The Athletic's owner now, has placed The Athletic content on Apple News+ . If you're already subscribing to Apple News+, you get it for no additional cost. If you're a subscriber to the Athletic site and have Apple News+ , you can drop your site subscription and save some money.

Any Android ecosystem folks out there that can verify that the content is available on Google News or similiar, please chime i.
    If there’s no dedicated UC guy I’ll drop my subscription. Nothing UC specific in over a month.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 12-23-2023, 07:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    I'm going yank this thread out of obscurity here. We've sort of lost Justin Williams as a local UC beat guy due to The Athletic's restructuring and layoffs and buyout. Congrats to him to basically moving up to Big XII coverage but I think we miss him on the local beat.

Here's the good news. The New York Times, who is the The Athletic's owner now, has placed The Athletic content on Apple News+ . If you're already subscribing to Apple News+, you get it for no additional cost. If you're a subscriber to the Athletic site and have Apple News+ , you can drop your site subscription and save some money.

Any Android ecosystem folks out there that can verify that the content is available on Google News or similiar, please chime i.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    For anyone interested in subscribing to the Athletic that hasn't already done so. Here's my referral link.

You get 40% off a year's subscription rate and I pick up a $25 Amazon credit if you sign up. You can support Justin WIlliams writing and career and thank me for my terrible opinions at the same time.

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=...hared_by=58910

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    The Athletic is a year in and Justin WIlliams is now the permanent writer for UC coverage in both revenue sports. If you're going to sign up, do it ASAP before the summer subscription promos expire.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Looks like it'™s Justin Williams and some Shannon Russell and a little Mo Egger. It'™s been solid coverage so far.

It'™s better than what the Enquirer is doing in my opinion. Groeschen seems to have stepped it up lately due to competition but a lot of his stuff is just reposts of GoBearcats and other sources recently. Dave Clarke seems to read this board, other boards and and twitter and that's about it. Late and useless. (Hi Dave)
    Last edited by Lobot; 07-03-2018, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X