An Interesting Article on Concession Prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting Article on Concession Prices

I don’t know if Mike Bohn ever scans these types of sites, but I heard about this concept a couple of months ago and it piqued my interest. Especially when excuses made by our UC management always seem to be, “we don’t have the money”.

At the Mercedes-Benz Dome in Atlanta they decided to offer fan-friendly menus (along with other, pricier fare). They ended up making more money on concessions, not less - they made more money through volume sales.

Here’s an article link from the NY Times ==> https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/s...ncessions.html

One of my feelings at games (when my Bearcats are not in a good place and I want to be angrier) is: I paid for the privilege to buy my seats, I then bought my seats, I paid for parking, drove and parked to the game, trekked from my spot to the stadium/arena and my seat, stand in line for concessions, stand in line in the Men’s room, have people walk in front of me during game action, get limited replays AND in-venue commercials (!) overpay for food and beverages, etc. The last item (food and beverage) usually is what sets me off because it happens in front of me in the stands (even though I’m not paying for it), especially the $7 can of beer.

And my thoughts always go to, “Yeah, and the guy at home whose only investment is he paid for an HDTV and a subscription to whatever sports channel the game’s on. He can walk several feet to his bathroom, walk feet to his refrigerator, watch replays, other games, etc., etc.

So, the fans in the stands are paying for the “experience”, but why with all the expenses incurred do sports venues decide to gouge the paying customer?

Not sure why I decided to rant on a Friday, but I guess the MB Stadium article touched a nerve.

Any thoughts?

I understand your frustrations but I take a different view. I don't go to games to save money. If I want 1 or 2 beers I buy them. The prices are not cheap & yes you can stay at home & watch the game & not get
    stiffed for excessive prices. To me it's an event to attend & enjoy & support my Bearcats. When I was young & raising a family, I did not have the money to go to but 1 game a year.
    However, what Atlanta is doing is smart. How many people go to other bars & restaurants before a game to save money. Some of my friends will not go to the game early because of these prices. Maybe, just
    maybe, UC, Bengals & Reds will do the same thing. I hope so.

Comment

The article won't let me cut and paste but it essentially says the 70% of the revenue for NFL teams comes from leaguewide television, sponsorship and merchandise contracts ... so they could afford to give-away the food if they wanted. I doubt U.C. has those same opportunities, and rely, in part, on those food and beverage revenues.

Comment

Devil's advocate says that if UC were to lower prices on concessions and make it up in volume sales, the lines would then be longer for concessions and you'd miss more of the game action you paid to see waiting for food and drinks. Unless you're going to load up before the game you have to pick your poison here.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

[QUOTE=Geaux Juan;n358800]I don’t know if Mike Bohn ever scans these types of sites, but I heard about this concept a couple of months ago and it piqued my interest.

I guess I got my answer in the affirmative yesterday. Thanks Mike Bohn!!

See "Fans-First Pricing and New Concessions Items" ==> https://gobearcats.com/news/2019/8/2...ancements.aspx

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X