Bearcat Bands get new director

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat Bands get new director

This is an overdue post but you might be aware that Dr. Frenz retired after this past season. UC magazine even had a goodbye letter from him since he's basically been there for 25 years or so. The new director starting this June will be Christopher Nichter. Nichter was formerly the Assistant Band Director at WVU. Been a while since I've seen WVU's band perform but historically they've had a different style of marching and music selection than UC. WVU has a large band. It's currently listed at 380 members. UC's tops out at about 260 which might be it's high water mark for membership.

It will be interesting to see what Nichter's music selections will be and what if any style changes we see in the band. He'll have some freedom with the field formations for halftime in football that he's not used to coming from a band that size. I think a lot of sports fans are ready for some of the music played in the stands to change based on feedback I've gotten in the past. New directors usually bring their own style along so we'll have to see what that holds. I doubt many of the core traditions like the charge down the stairs will change.

Good luck to Mr. Nichter.

~AEA

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

From WVU, eh? As far as traditions I hope the new director doesn't add burning couches at mid-field.

I just wish the band would get more opportunities to play, instead of the stadium using canned music. But that ship has sailed at most colleges, not just UC.

I wish Mr. Nichter luck also.

Comment

[QUOTE=Geaux Juan;n356097

I just wish the band would get more opportunities to play, instead of the stadium using canned music. But that ship has sailed at most colleges, not just UC.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you but on the other hand you don't want them playing so often they drive you crazy playing the same thing over and over either. I'm looking at you, FSU and Oklahoma and Texas.

Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

if they never play the theme song from the 1930's NBC nightly news at half time again, i'd be happy. Hopefully it'll be a little more recognizable and fun performances (knowing they do more than just half time performances).

Comment

Dr. Frenz had a bad habit of trying to make the band's identity SWING music because that's the era and music he personally enjoyed. We even used to play rewritten fight songs of opposing teams in a swing style when traveling to away games. That just doesn't work at an urban campus in 2017 and a lot of the music was pretty bad/bland to play and listen to (chattanooga choo choo anyone?) Been looking forward to a new direction for a long time. I expect more exciting stuff from the band in the years ahead
          Last edited by Chewbacca2099; 05-30-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X