AAUP weighs in against athletics expenditures again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAUP weighs in against athletics expenditures again

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opin...ible/88584650/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

This is clearly what it typically is and likely results from these parties not getting something they wanted or needed. The reality is that although the students do pay $'s to support athletics, they also have an opportunity to get value back thru tickets, etc. not to mention receiving the goodwill that big time sports cast on their degree. The reality is UC's enrollment is at record pace, and their exposure in sports has helped this. Nobody's lining up to go there because he's the law librarian, etc. You also have to resolve in their traditional argument the donations and support other areas of the university receives, and whether they would get this if the ad exposure dropped off the map. It's a been there done that bshit piece. Maybe those 2 should occasionally attend a game see the students enjoying themselves. Time to crawl out of your cave boys, just don't hurt yourselves. If you want to focus your rants on someone, do it on the Osu's, Texas's, Espn's, et. al of the world who have driven this. You're a little late to the argument.

Comment

And one more thing, what does FC Cincinnati have to do with any of it in their article? Their attendance has been strong, and they bring more folks to campus and Clifton which can only big a good thing. Ridiculous train of thought.

Comment

Jon McNay, the AAUP rep for UC, has taken to twitter to verbally attack fans this morning. Pretty sure he's mostly defending himself but still not a great look.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

As a follow up to this, it's very interesting that he shoots his mouth off after Ono has left. I will not get into it, but i would suggest it's tree hugger politics.

Comment

The AAUP leadership have been mouthing off like this since I was at UC in the late '60's. They really had a heyday when the football team was crummy in the '80's. If they couldn't kill the program back then, when the student population was stagnant, they certainly aren't going to bend very many ears now that the school is growing by leaps and bounds and facilities (both for academia and athletics) are world class.

Let 'em squawk. They're just posturing for their next contract negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
              The AAUP leadership have been mouthing off like this since I was at UC in the late '60's. They really had a heyday when the football team was crummy in the '80's. If they couldn't kill the program back then, when the student population was stagnant, they certainly aren't going to bend very many ears now that the school is growing by leaps and bounds and facilities (both for academia and athletics) are world class.

Let 'em squawk. They're just posturing for their next contract negotiations.
              Totally agree. This reminds me of a broken record from the late 80s when they got fired up over the major redo of Nippert. They've been recycling the same argument since I was in school which is really kind of sad on their part. I understand their stance and the AAUP's function but they could at least be more creative with their posturing. Tempted to go through the Enquirer and News Record archive and compare the two op-eds.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X