All-American UC student-athletes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-American UC student-athletes

This is the first of three stories on the UC student-athletes who achieved All-American status during the 2014-15 school year. - By Bill Koch

Keire finds her "happy spot" in the water
    ... her father, Kanut, died unexpectedly at the age of 66. Keire was 16 at the time and in the 11th grade. After that, swimming was no longer the happy spot it had once been.

"My therapy in swimming became almost like a demon for me because you couldn't escape the thoughts in your head," Keire said. "At that point, it was too much to always be in your own head because you can't talk to people when you're swimming. You can't have distractions. At that point, swimming just wasn't what I needed. It was too hard at that point, so I quit for almost two years."

She's the first UC female swimmer to reach All-American status since Ann Degenstein did it in the 100 and 200 butterfly in 2005.

During her two years at UC, she has set school records in four freestyle events -- the 50, 100, 200 and 500. She has qualified for the NCAA Championships in each of the last two seasons, making her the only UC swimmer to do so. When she did it last year as a freshman, she was the first UC female to qualify in three years. She has also won five individual titles in the American Athletic Conference and was named the Most Outstanding Female Swimmer in the 2014-15 conference championship meet.
    http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/c-s...052115aaa.html

Part Duece

KOCH: Valles vaults to new heights
    One of the few things that Adrian Valles knew about the Queen City when he agreed to attend the University of Cincinnati was that the city hosts a major tennis tournament every summer. Valles is a tennis fan, particularly a fan of fellow countryman Rafael Nadal.

Beyond that, he knew only what Kris Mack, then the UC track coach, had told him during the recruiting process and what he could glean from his research about the school. His relationship with Mack was enough to get him to leave his home in Pamplona, Spain, only to find during his first week at UC that Mack was leaving to coach at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California.
    http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/c-t...052615aac.html

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X