The State of WBB program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of WBB program

6 years in, Jamelle Elliott appears to be treading water or sinking. Our top returning player is out for the season but the team is losing by large double digit margins to some really bad teams. The program has been down since J. Kelley Hall was coach. Elliott does not seem to be digging us out of that mess effectively.

Any thoughts or insights into the program out there? Is it time to look elsewhere? Has any one even been to a game this year?
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I have not been to a game since I was a Girl Scout Leader, yes, I just said that. They gave free tickets to certain organizations and I took my troop down to the UC-UL game. They gave out a lot of tickets but only had one concession booth open (which I suppose under normal circumstances was enough) so half time was a mess because of the waiting time to get sodas for all of the girls and we missed the first 8 minutes of the second half.

But my belief is that it is just family and friends who attend Women's bb games at UC unless they do promotions. I am still a firm believer that UC should give tickets out to organization such as the Girl Scouts and the YMCA just to boost attendance. It would not cost them anything and they would gain from concession sales.

Comment

I was just thinking about this topic. Seems like they really suck and have been sucking for a long time. And I don't really follow the women's game at all. I did not even know of that coach was still there. Is she literally just going through the motions? I want all UC's teams to do well.

Comment

Had a friend call the UC @ Temple game on ESPN3/WatchESPN several weeks back. I watched the first few mins. they said/showed JE's winning percentage at UC was well below .400 -- something like 36%. Yikes.

Comment

I'm not looking at the record books right now but I'd be surprised if Elliott's winning percentage was lower than J. Kelley Hall. What a horrible hire that was by Mike Thomas. You'd think something would've have gone off in Thomas' head when the Co-Head coach (?!?) was Hall's wife.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I'm not looking at the record books right now but I'd be surprised if Elliott's winning percentage was lower than J. Kelley Hall.
            We haven't had a decent women's basketball coach since (they forced) Laurie Pirtle in 2007, coinciding with our entry to the Big East. At least it's my opinion that Hall was brought in to take us big time in the Big East. As I remember he never had a winning record.

Jamie Elliott was subsequently hired to right the ship. Prior to U.C. she was a player and then an assistant coach at UCONN. I'm guessing the thought was for her to infuse that wining spirit in the Bearcats. She has failed miserably. Every year the reports are the team is short handed, after six years I would question her ability to recruit.

Laurie Pirtle did more with less. She would have a couple down years and then a winning year. At least Laurie got us in the NCAA tournament every third or fourth year. We haven't been there since she retired.

I remember reading an article, just after Laurie retired, that stated she received little or no resources (money, travel expenses, etc.) for recruiting. She had to so it all on her own.

Laurie Pirtle
            http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/w-b..._laurie00.html

March 13, 2007

During her tenure, the Bearcats won 310 games and advanced to postseason play more times than under any other coach. In the last 11 years, Pirtle has guided UC to 10 winning seasons, five 20-plus win campaigns and eight postseason appearances, including seven straight from 1997-2004. Pirtle, the Bearcats' all-time winningest women's basketball coach, had a career coaching mark of 393-317.
            http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/w-b...031307aac.html

Comment

Need to hire Pat Summit's kid: http://www.latechsports.com/sports/w...tt_893875.html
              RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
              CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X