OT - Ohio State Marching Band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Ohio State Marching Band

The big news here in ground zero of Buckeye country yesterday was the firing of the Marching Band director for allegations of hazing and sexual harassment within the band. Listening to the locals dissect it, it reminds me a lot of the discussions surrounding UC about 10 years ago...
    Factors:
    1) very popular group associated with the university has some sort of black-eye given to it (UC BB, Huggins - DUI; OSU MB, sexual harassment tradition)
    2) Loyal following of fans
    3) New president of the university

To listen to the fans around here, the new president has really stepped in it by dismissing the beloved band director and is not setting himself up to be loved and adored by the fans.
    All the conversation and vitriol for the new president is giving me flashbacks to Zimpher...

Yea, I saw it on the news this morning, but wasn't going to discuss the University That Should Not Be Named as it really has no affect on U.C. Since this thread has been started, the reports state that Jonathon Waters was released for sexual harassment after a two month investigation.

New band members were subject to hazing and marching in their underwear. Students often sexually harassed each other with derogatory names and statements.

The whole situation seems rather nasty causing another black eye, especially following the Tressel affair.

Comment

Who really cares what the band geeks do or don't do?
      You know why you never hear about the shenanigans the swim team gets into? Because nobody cares about the swim team. Same for the band geeks.
      Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

without going into any detail. It's not at all that different than what the UC band does or probably most any other university band. The difference may have been that students complained and nothing changed where as most students don't care

Comment

Zero tolerance policies and the pc weenies that promote them are over the top. Far be it for me to defend anything at thee ohio $tate, but unless there's more to the story, I seriously doubt if their band is doing anything that a thousand other college bands have been doing for years. Move along now...... nothing to see here.

Comment

The band director was in the band while this was going on. The then was an assistant director while it was going on. Then the director. I suspect that most of the members of the marching band got a kick out of the tradition. I know that band geeks are wild partiers as a whole but it would be generalizing to say that all of them are. If you noticed, the upper class men warned the freshmen that the undies practice was going to happen and told the frosh to wear something that covers. It was a student who complained to his parents and the parents filed the complaint. One of the local Cincinnati news last night interviewed someone who was in the band 20 years ago and said that it was going on then and most thought that it was fun. I am not going to condemn their program for what is or is not being reported. I do feel that this smells of PC and that there is probably more to the story.

Comment

Some wimpy kid get his feelings hurt and goes home to cry on mommy's shoulder.

Mommy thinks she is doing the kid a favor and goes to the University.

University cites zero tolerance and fires the Band Director who no doubt will get hired very soon at another major University.

Kid shows up to school in the fall and gets unmerciful verbal abuse because everybody liked the Band Director and the attention they got from the unbelievable halftime displays.

Wimpy kid goes home a cries on Mommy's shoulder.

Mommy thinks she is doing the kid a favor and goes to the University.

Who does the University fire next?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                without going into any detail. It's not at all that different than what the UC band does or probably most any other university band. The difference may have been that students complained and nothing changed where as most students don't care
                The UC band hasn't done anything nearly as bad as OSU, AFAIK. The band's fraternity, Kappa Kappa Psi, did get in trouble over hazing one year before I came in and as I was graduating got busted ironically because of a unofficial songbook that had been around for years.

The UC Band itself has not been in trouble like this to my knowledge, ever.

I think the worst thing that happened to the freshmen was that they had to haul the equipment back and forth from the old band room in Laurence Hall to Nippert. Some people picked up nicknames along the way but nothing was given to them as hazing like OSU's stuff. The scale and length of hazing at OSU has been going on for 50 years or so according to a former band member I saw quoted by the Dispatch. I'm certainly not going to say misogynistic and offensive things didn't happen or get said in the UC Band while I was in it but they wised up in 90s.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here's the 92 page report... those of you who read what's being reported in the news and jumped to the "pc weenies" or "wimpy kid" conclusion... shame on you. As a parent of two girls, if my kids underwent this kind of treatment during a university sanctioned extracurricular I'd pull them out of the school and be talking to a lawyer.

Report.pdf

Comment

It's a major black eye to a big university that just fired it's president for basically being the poster child for big conference buffoonery. The ad should likely also be gone for his various f...ups but that's another story. Hey make money, everybody does it....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat_Fan View Post
                      Here's the 92 page report... those of you who read what's being reported in the news and jumped to the "pc weenies" or "wimpy kid" conclusion... shame on you. As a parent of two girls, if my kids underwent this kind of treatment during a university sanctioned extracurricular I'd pull them out of the school and be talking to a lawyer.

Report.pdf
                      UC MBA '08
                      Purdue '15

Comment

I've received letters on Facebook by people close to OSU music program. The letters were written by some of the students named in the report. Particularly "Donk" and Joobs" (the report spelled it wrong). A lot of letters from members and former members are poking seriously large holes in OSU's report.

My prediction is the students and alumni from the band are going to testify in Jon Water's lawsuit and Jon Waters is about to be rich. OSU is going to look like idiots when this is done.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...ture/13624769/

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X