OT, WVU Board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
    WVU had a terrific FB program with history and rabid fan support support. They have had winners in BB too. Their struggles in the Big12 are coinciding with both a downturn (I think temporary) in WVU talent/play and an upswing in some FB programs in the Big 12 (Baylor, Ok State).

We do not have the same downswing in either FB or BB. I'm not going to say the Bearcats would be world-beaters in what is probably the best athletic conference top-to-bottom in all sports, with FB competing with SEC and BB surpassing the ACC. However, I do believe that UC can be competitive in the Big 12. Shying away from the big boys is not something I would suggest. Our programs will rise to any test and the money would be too good. post-season play (at least FB) would not be guaranteed every year, but earning it would be that much sweeter by playing a higher level of competition.
    I think you are delirious and blinded by your passion for the Bearcats. It is admirable but not reality. Your comparison to WVU is accurate and very predictable for the transition we would experience as well. We are better than them in BBall and would hold up better as an upper tier team, but that conference isn't close to the ACC!!! Football would be much tougher on us and we would struggle to stay in the top 1/2. Its an upgrade for sure, but as I have said many times the logistics just aren't there for us other than to say its the best option left which doesn't mean its a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
      I think you are delirious and blinded by your passion for the Bearcats. It is admirable but not reality. Your comparison to WVU is accurate and very predictable for the transition we would experience as well. We are better than them in BBall and would hold up better as an upper tier team, but that conference isn't close to the ACC!!! Football would be much tougher on us and we would struggle to stay in the top 1/2. Its an upgrade for sure, but as I have said many times the logistics just aren't there for us other than to say its the best option left which doesn't mean its a good one.
      I have to disagree with you RedDog. I believe the Big12 is the best option for us that is remaining. We would start in the bottom half in football, but would be able to work ourselves back up being in a bigger conference and 26 million coming in per year. Basketball would be fine, we were use to playing in the Big East. I would also say that the ACC has more "big name" basketball teams, but in my opinion the Big 12 was far better this past year than the ACC. I'd rather see us in the ACC, but I don't see that as an option with the Grant of Rights.
      Nate Shelton

Now Is The Time, This Is The Place

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
        The Big 12 was second ranked conference in basketball while the ACC was 5th and the AAC 8th.
        http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi

The Big 12 had 7 (out of 10 teams) NCAA Tournament Teams, the ACC had only 6 out of 15-16 teams).

Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Oklahoma, Ok St, Texas, and Baylor

ACC:
        Pitt, Cuse, Viginia, N. Carolina, NC St, and Duke. Plus Loserville

In B-ball the ACC is top loaded with many bottom feeders just like the AAC.
        Neither conference placed a team in the Elite 8.

I agree with you we are an academic and geographic better fit to the ACC, not arguing that at all. The ACC is my first choice, but I don't get a vote and neither does UC. The priority is getting into one of the Power Five conferences as soon as possible. Under that scenario, the Big 12 is more than acceptable if they come knocking first (and we have zero rumor, innuendo, or inkling that the ACC wants us).

I honestly think we will fair well athletically in basketball in either conference. I think we would suffer more in football simply because there are more teams in the ACC and we wouldn't have to play all of them every year. My point is simply this, we shouldn't say no to the Big 12 because it might be tough (or tougher than the ACC). We back down to no one. We may not (mostly likely will not) win right away in either one; however, we'll take their best punches and throw some of our own.

WE ARE U-C!!
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

For fun I went on their message board. Now Huggins is god. Man they have one of the worst fan bases ever.
          Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X