No announcement yet.

Coaching Carousel '21-22

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Fickell has recruited the west coast in any of his previous stops. Trying to replicate success he has had in the Midwest throughout his career would be way more risk than any head coach making millions of dollars a year would ever need to undertake. Just not a fit at all. Recruiting football is much different than basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post

Rick Minter would have stayed forever, hopefully Fick is Ohio State or bust.... and Ryan Day gets his team performing better so they keep him
      Rick is a good person, but I think the program got to this point because Goin and others raised expectations. There will be very few Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno types who win at the highest levels and stick around. Man, I sure hope I'm wrong, especially for a certain young coach in Clifton. Luke's situation is also different than many coaches. We shall see...
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Rick is a good person, but I think the program got to this point because Goin and others raised expectations. There will be very few Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno types who win at the highest levels and stick around. Man, I sure hope I'm wrong, especially for a certain young coach in Clifton. Luke's situation is also different than many coaches. We shall see...
        Day is safe as he has Kerry Combs to blame. Wait and see what happens with a new DC and perhaps a lb coach , even the OL coach. People keep saying tOSU defenfense got really bad once Jelf Hafley left for Boston College, but it started when Coach Fick left. I wonder if Day can handle the pressure at tOSU win or lose for multiple seasons. It does seem like Coach Fick would be the returning hero, but maybe his home is UC now. Up his paycheck and give him what he wants in terms of practice facilities etc. If he can win in the big 12 then really open up the wallet. First off beat Indiana and ND.

Comment

I read an article that while some of the blame is on Coombs, it's also because they lost him as a recruiter for a few years and haven't been pulling the top 100 defensive studs they usually get. So this may just be a fluke year for them. As much as I love seeing them lose, I want them to be good enough that Day's seat doesn't get hot for a very very long time.

Comment

Be afraid of Penn State if Franklin goes to USC.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
              You might be right on this one. Didn't consider that when I saw the Franklin/USC mutual interest news today.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Would you care to explain to those of us who are ignorant?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Would you care to explain to those of us who are ignorant?
                  James Franklin, currently at PSU, is one of the names that came up as a possibility in the USC coaching search. There's interest on both siides there. If Franklin leaves, Penn St is open. We keep assuming that Fickell will wait for ND or OSU but this is a prime job that no one really expected to open up.

If the dominoes fall this way, I would expect PSU to make a big run at Fickell. This is a big hunch on my part but I really do think bobestes is correct here. Right now there's nothing to back that up but if Franklin leaves things may change in a hurry.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

At that point I’d bring Marcus Freeman back.

Comment

let's hope for Lane Kiffin round 2

Comment

Oh, I would definitely be shaking in my boots if the Penn State folks target Luke. You are spot on if this happens. Let's root for Stoops to USC!!

Comment

Curious. For the same amount of $$ (assumption), would you rather be the D coordinator at ND under Kelly, PSU under Fick, or o$u under Day.... OR.....head coach of the Bearcats??

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post

Rick Minter would have stayed forever, hopefully Fick is Ohio State or bust.... and Ryan Day gets his team performing better so they keep him
                            So they keep him? He's now 17-2 as head coach, and one of those was in the championship game.

More importantly, he has a perfect record against TTUN.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                              Curious. For the same amount of $$ (assumption), would you rather be the D coordinator at ND under Kelly, PSU under Fick, or o$u under Day.... OR.....head coach of the Bearcats??
                              HC at UC, but it would be for more than those DC positions...right?

Also, PJ Fleck to USC could be good. Can't see Luke in Minnesota.

TTUN is Columbus. They are north of the team that matters to us

Comment

As I recall, the money Freeman got at ND was better than 60% or so of D1 head coaches, and about what Fick was making before our last raise. I would assume that's about the starting point for him as a HC for us. PSU and o$u have deep pockets and would certainly pay him that or more to fix their problems. DC at a blue blood, perhaps working again for a friend, same $$, isn't that less stressful and an easier path to success than assuming HC responsibilities? On the other hand, theres the allure of being "the guy" and running your own program. I am just curious what Freeman might do if put in that position as a possible UC HC down the road. Lets hope it doesn't come to that and Fick stays but started thinking after Longtimefan brought it up.

I agree Fleck to USC might be a good choice... for us. Bienemy would even be better. I think its gonna take more than money to pry Fick away. If he stays happy, keeps winning and recruiting, now has Big 12 possibilities and recruit leverage, continues to get facility upgrades, he can build his own legacy. Hes a unique guy with different principals and objectives than most coaches. You have to respect his thought process as refreshing in an industry where coaches usually prostitute themselves without much regard for fit or longevity prospects.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X