12-23-04 won fortworth bowl
    <brian kelly>
    1-6-07 won international bowl
    ========================
    who's the better coach?
    if kelly wins in 08 he will be
    does any body agree or dis agree?
    ==========================

no disrespect but sid gillans coached like rick minter,mark dantonio and brian kelly
    they all have 1 bowl win
    Last edited by Inchickinkick; 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM. Reason: typo err.
    Please respect my opinion, I JUST SPEAK ENGLISH PLEASE

Any discussion of all-time UC football coaches would have to include Sid Gillman. Highlights from his tenure include (from Bearcat Football Timeline):

1949-Sid Gillman took over as head coach and promptly piloted UC to a Mid-American Conference title and a win over Toledo in the Glass Bowl. Tom O'Malley's 1,617 passing yards led the nation.

1950-The Bearcats advanced to the Sun Bowl, but were edged by West Texas State, 14-13.

1951-UC posted an all-time best record of 10-1. Gene Rossi and Bob Stratton became the Bearcats' first All-Americans.

1953-Cincinnati led the nation in both total offense (409.5 yards per game) and total defense (184.3), a feat accomplished by only three other teams in college football history.

1954-Sid Gillman left for the Los Angeles Rams after directing UC to an 8-2 ledger. In six seasons under the eventual college and pro Hall of Fame coach, the Bearcats posted a 50-13-1 record and won three Mid-American Conference titles.
    Keith Wedinger
    Bearcatnews.com Administrator
    Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

all time

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
      Any discussion of all-time UC football coaches would have to include Sid Gillman. Highlights from his tenure include (from Bearcat Football Timeline):

1949-Sid Gillman took over as head coach and promptly piloted UC to a Mid-American Conference title and a win over Toledo in the Glass Bowl. Tom O'Malley's 1,617 passing yards led the nation.

1950-The Bearcats advanced to the Sun Bowl, but were edged by West Texas State, 14-13.

1951-UC posted an all-time best record of 10-1. Gene Rossi and Bob Stratton became the Bearcats' first All-Americans.

1953-Cincinnati led the nation in both total offense (409.5 yards per game) and total defense (184.3), a feat accomplished by only three other teams in college football history.

1954-Sid Gillman left for the Los Angeles Rams after directing UC to an 8-2 ledger. In six seasons under the eventual college and pro Hall of Fame coach, the Bearcats posted a 50-13-1 record and won three Mid-American Conference titles.
      i understand what you mean,
      conference titles
      if we talk about alltime, its minter versus gillman,
      gillman and minter both won, minter lost more

Comment

Is this a joke? Gillman is one of the great all time coaches, a hall of famer, who, if he'd only chosen to much stay longer at UC, would've changed the entire history of UC football. I was always told he left because UC wasn't willing to make the changes necessary to elevate their stature back then. No other coach we've had even begins to compare with him, certainly not a coach who got fired with a losing career record here.

Comment

i agree with you,
          end

Comment

i guess the main question minus sid is
            --------------------------------------
            will brain kelly be the first uc football coach too win second bowl game.

Comment

There were MANY FEWER bowl games when Gillman coached. You can't compare his one victory with Minter's. Gillman is head and shoulder's above the competition.

The one thing about Danotnio's one bowl win is that it offsets the loss by 70 points to Louisville. But he also had the Rutger's win. BK is my first choice of Minter, Dantanio and Minter.

Comment

brain kelly can break history with a bowl win.

Comment

I was reading the Athletic article about past QB's wishing they could play in today's NFL and there was a Steve Young story where Sid Gillman tied Steve's feet together in USFL practice and I started to investigate a bit more of Sid's history and impact on the game.

Clearly, Sid is one of the greatest coaches and a true innovator when it comes to downfield passing. When I saw his coaching tree, my jaw dropped, both at some of the great names and number of Super Bowl victories. In the first two levels of his coaching tree, the coaches have 15 SB rings and 28 SB rings altogether. Sid may not have won championships in his six years at UC, but he is clearly one of the top football coaches to come through Clifton.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

If you have not read up on Sid Gillman before, Josh Katzowitz who used to write for the Post, did an entire book on him. Somewhere in my library of stuff I have a signed copy of it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sid-Gillman...4322025&sr=8-2
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X