Next DC in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next DC in

The scuttlebutt has Chris Ash, formerly of OSU DC and Rutgers HC, as a possibility.

Bo Pelini has come up (no thanks)

Kerry Coombs has come up, mostly as sarcasm.

Brian Mason has come up for continuity.

Mike Mickens has come up.

If you've heard more, post it.
    Last edited by Lobot; 01-09-2021, 10:52 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I think Ash is still under contract with Texas unless Sarkasian doesn't retain him? I think Fickell has known this was coming and likely has a clear direction of where he's going to go. It might not be the sexy name folks like to see, but no one was knocking down MF's door four or five years ago when Fickell gave him a chance. Mf is cleary a good coach, but Fickell was and still is i believe pretty hands on with that defensive group. I think he'll continue to go in a similar direction and work in the interest of continuity. Scruggs is a new coach, but he's worked wonders with the D-line.Fick has experience with the co co-coordinator route so it will be interesting to see if he looks in that direction and brings in a linebacker coach.

Comment

If Coach thinks Mickens has enough seasoning for the DC job, then it would be great to bring him back to Clifton as DC. I really enjoyed watching him as a player.

Someone who was treated poorly by his employer and kicked to the curb was Doc Holiday at Marshall - very good head coach who has a wealth of knowledge and experience. He had many good teams there and maximized his recruits (I believe). I wonder if there would be any mutual interest for a position on the UC coaching staff.

Comment

What about Dantonio? I don’t know if he is too old but he might be a good fit. Holiday would be intriguing.

Comment

Holliday has never been a D coordinator so i'd cross that out. Dantonio i think is almost 65 years old which in today's recruiting world can't be a good thing. Fickell was taking players from them while he was still there. My guess is they go young. I had to laugh at the Enquirer's list they included Larry Johson at Osu. I think he makes over 1mm a year at Osu as an asst. Not sure how they think he'd take a big pay cut to work for Fick. LOL

Comment

This program has come a long way, as demonstrated by the interest (and concern) in who will be the next DC. In year's past, if you asked most fans who the coordinators were, they'd probably shrug.

Comment

I think they do their best to replicate the qualities of Freeman which obviously was working. Young, previous player, African American, hard working, family values, committed to the kids and the program. This is what the players can best relate to for continuity purposes. I think MF was a great role model (as is Fick) and that's as important as a defensive scheme. Get the kids to buy in and they will run through a wall for you. I don't know if Mickens is ready or fits the other criteria but someone like him who Fick can mentor and mold seems ideal. That's easier than paying top dollar for an established DC who you hope is a fit..

Comment

I'd love for Luke to at least interview Mickens and Walter Stewart. Stewart is probably not ready, but both sides benefit from the interview.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

What is Mickens coaching resume? Nevermind, I see it, 7 years progressively as CB coach now at ND. Alot
                  of passing back and forth with UC and ND in recent years. I’d probably like to see DC with some DC or Asst DC type experience.
                  Last edited by Bearcat93; 01-09-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Justin WIlliams take: ($)

https://theathletic.com/2312341/2021...e-coordinator/
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                      For those who can't read the article, I'm going to give you the list of names dropped here.

Chris Ash
                      Mike Mickens
                      Mike Tressel
                      Billy Davis (AZ Cardinals and UC Alum)
                      Steve Clinkscale
                      Brian Mason
                      Perry Eliano
                      Al Washington (OSU)
                      Brayden Coombs (Kerry's kid)
                      Vince Oghobaase (BC)

A couple of things stick out here to me. The first one is Clinkscale even being considered. He has one year of DC experience at UK. He also was DBs coach over one of the worst secondarys UC has had in recent memory while working for Tommy Tuberville. Some of that might be not Clink's fault but IMO, that's pretty disqualifying.

Brayden Coombs is interesting. He's got same or better qualifications in college and pro football as his dad.
                      Last edited by Lobot; 01-09-2021, 06:12 PM.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I've also heard of this guy, former assistant with Fick at Osu and long time friends. Current Db coach at Minnesota. Very experienced, knows Ohio and Midwest. Note the high school.

https://gophersports.com/sports/foot...20since%202018.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                          I've also heard of this guy, former assistant with Fick at Osu and long time friends. Current Db coach at Minnesota. Very experienced, knows Ohio and Midwest. Note the high school.

https://gophersports.com/sports/foot...20since%202018.
                          That's an interesting one. I wonder if we can pry him away from Fleck. Tons of experience but I do wonder why he never advanced to DC with all the coaching experience on his resume
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Not sure how connected this is:

https://detroitsportsnation.com/univ...9/2021/242684/

Comment

Any news on the DC front?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X