No announcement yet.

Next DC in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Per Pete Thamel , the next DC is expected to be Mike Tressel.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Over on Bearcat Journal I've seen a number of posters upset with this hire because of how Mike Tressel left UC when he went with Dantonio to MSU. Apparently some comments were made or something like that?

Can anyone here who knows fill me in on what he said or did that has fans so pissed about this hire? I don't know why, but a few people on the other board have asked this same exact question but no one on there responds with specfics. But they keep posting about how either Fickell or Tressel need to explain or apoligize about what happened in the past.

Comment

Well, it's not an exciting hire but I'm not upset either... not sure how to feel about it. I don't think he will recruit as well as Freeman but hopefully he keeps the defense at the current level.

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post
          Over on Bearcat Journal I've seen a number of posters upset with this hire because of how Mike Tressel left UC when he went with Dantonio to MSU. Apparently some comments were made or something like that?

Can anyone here who knows fill me in on what he said or did that has fans so pissed about this hire? I don't know why, but a few people on the other board have asked this same exact question but no one on there responds with specfics. But they keep posting about how either Fickell or Tressel need to explain or apoligize about what happened in the past.
          I'll give you a reader's digest version of it as I'm someone who's been here a long time as i've had season tickets now for going on 40 years. Long and the short of it was he said he was happy to be going to the big time at a b10 school etc. What people have to realize was that when he said that, and Dantonio left as well, we were nowhere near where we are today so honestly his comments are pretty spot on to where we were at during that time. Folks who are new to this kind of show their lack of knowledge on the football program when they take offense with comments from that era. Dantonio's era here was without an updated Nippert, no practice facility, etc. etc. We had joined the Big East, but we were nowhere near the level of football and facilities that were seeing today. Those were the days of meetings with donors to try and get together funds for even much smaller upgrades. The guy who has the most skin in this game is Fickell. He's earned the right to make the decisions of who works for him, and how it works out. If results on the field for defense were the main criteria for asst. coaches and/or coordinators, we would never have hired Freeman. Tressel has a better resume that MF had coming in hands down. They'll be a lot of fans who will whine we didn't get some big fancy name, but that was never going to be the case. Only time will tell for Freeman, Tressel or any other coach for that matter. Your judged by your most recent season. Msu's defense took a step back last year when Tressel was demoted back to Safeties after Tucker hired his own guy. You have to defer to the guy who knows best, Fickell.
          Last edited by coach; 01-18-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

I'll give you a reader's digest version of it as I'm someone who's been here a long time as i've had season tickets now for going on 40 years. Long and the short of it was he said he was happy to be going to the big time at a b10 school etc. What people have to realize was that when he said that, and Dantonio left as well, we were nowhere near where we are today so honestly his comments are pretty spot on to where we were at during that time. Folks who are new to this kind of show their lack of knowledge on the football program when they take offense with comments from that era. Dantonio's era here was without an updated Nippert, no practice facility, etc. etc. We had joined the Big East, but we were nowhere near the level of football and facilities that were seeing today. Those were the days of meetings with donors to try and get together funds for even much smaller upgrades. The guy who has the most skin in this game is Fickell. He's earned the right to make the decisions of who works for him, and how it works out. If results on the field for defense were the main criteria for asst. coaches and/or coordinators, we would never have hired Freeman. Tressel has a better resume that MF had coming in hands down. They'll be a lot of fans who will whine we didn't get some big fancy name, but that was never going to be the case. Only time will tell for Freeman, Tressel or any other coach for that matter. Your judged by your most recent season. Msu's defense took a step back last year when Tressel was demoted back to Safeties after Tucker hired his own guy. You have to defer to the guy who knows best, Fickell.
            Thanks - I was just going to ask about this too. Thanks for the scoop.

Comment

Coach, I really appreciate your response. There was a lot of wisdom in your post, and your delivery was accommodating.

Here is my take, fully admitting I don't know much about anything. In the last couple of years, Mich. St., a Big 10 school has made multiple runs at our best coaches. They were turned down each time. Now, we, a G5 school, knock on their door for someone who has been there for years, and he comes to our program. And he has a pedigree name. We are continuing to turn the typical coaching conversation on its head. People in the game who are paying attention have to be thinking our program is one to pay attention to.

Comment

Michigan State football's Mike Tressel going to Cincinnati (freep.com)
                This is a good article about how good MSU's defense was when Tressel was running things. They took a huge step backwards last season after he was demoted.

Comment

Originally posted by UC4me View Post
                  Coach, I really appreciate your response. There was a lot of wisdom in your post, and your delivery was accommodating.

Here is my take, fully admitting I don't know much about anything. In the last couple of years, Mich. St., a Big 10 school has made multiple runs at our best coaches. They were turned down each time. Now, we, a G5 school, knock on their door for someone who has been there for years, and he comes to our program. And he has a pedigree name. We are continuing to turn the typical coaching conversation on its head. People in the game who are paying attention have to be thinking our program is one to pay attention to.
                  There is a large part of this current fan base that really didn't have a lot of exposure to the situation before Kelly got here. Dantonio and his crew did a lot of legwork to get this rolling competition wise and in terms of recruiting and developing better talent. The attendance wasn't very strong, and when they did start to see some success it wasn't like there were was a lot of support from the fan base. Your always going to have some folks who take leaving personal and a slight, but honestly i think most of the fans were kind of shocked that a program of the size and conference of Msu would poach them. Honestly, it really worked out for the best for both parties from how i see it. The truth is it was a far, far better situation as far as the Msu job over the Uc job at that point. Freeman really just did the same thing jumping to ND. It's just commonplace nowadays.To put it into perspective if you were part of that coaching staff, you were basically at a school with marginal attendance, and i believe for those 3 seasons they were basically one game over 500. All the sudden with that record a Big 10 school offers you a job with far more money and resources. They had hit the lottery in football. Could you imagine the reaction today if a Power 5 school like an Msu hired a guy from a school with little recent success and had gone 18 and 17 in 3 seasons? Those guys would have walked to East Lansing at the time.
                  Last edited by coach; 01-19-2021, 01:05 AM.

Comment

It looks like Mike Tressel will be our new defensive coordinator. Anyone know when we will hear from Luke Fickell or John Cunningham??? Their thoughts and hearing from the coach himself would go a long way to settle things down a bit on that side of the ball. Especially with recruiting. Can't let that lag.

Comment

They've been recruiting since the end of the season. Really hasn't changed. The decommits were Freeman guys. Part of the game. Honestly 2022 commitments are way off, even if coaches stay its a long way before guys are on the dotted line.

Comment

Tressel hire is official
                        https://gobearcats.com/news/2021/1/2...ordinator.aspx

Comment

Some insight on Tressel from Justin WIlliams ($)

https://theathletic.com/2331124/2021...ordinator-job/

Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X