CFP Rankings 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFP Rankings 2020

The first 2020 CFP rankings will come out tonight at 7:00. It will be broadcast on ESPN and after the rankings come out, they will do a reaction show with sports talking heads at 8:00

Scott Van Pelt interviewed Fickell last night at this link:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30376878

Primer here at the Athletic ($) :

https://theathletic.com/2218306/2020...ngs-questions/

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

We are #7. That is a record for a non power conference.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I’ll take it. Usually they rank us lower than the AP does. At 7 we still have a legitimate shot at the CFP. Have to keep winning obviously but it’s not that much of a long shot.
      ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Very nice - lots of national media folks tweeting about UC. Good publicity, keep the train rolling!

Comment

Does BYU really feel the pressure now and offer to play us at Nippert?

Comment

Originally posted by GangstaTakester View Post
            Does BYU really feel the pressure now and offer to play us at Nippert?
            They have pressure to play someone of note. If I'm UC, the answer is thanks but no thanks. The Cats no longer have any reason to play the Cougars.

Comment

I still think it makes sense to play BYU if you can get it done at home. It would be a big payday for both schools. Our odds of making final four are slim. A win would do nothing but help our cause. A loss would probably still allow us to be the #1 ranked "other" school. BYU is not eligible. I can't believe we would get leapfrogged by Marshall or Coastal Carolina. So I see incredible upside with not a ton of downside.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

They have pressure to play someone of note. If I'm UC, the answer is thanks but no thanks. The Cats no longer have any reason to play the Cougars.
                I agree with you. Win, and it does nothing as winning out right now will do exactly the same as winning out with BYU. Lose, however, and the squawks get real loud that we were overrated, the P5 is so much better, blah, blah, blah, and we run the high risk of missing the New Year 6 entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by GangstaTakester View Post
                  I still think it makes sense to play BYU if you can get it done at home. It would be a big payday for both schools. Our odds of making final four are slim. A win would do nothing but help our cause. A loss would probably still allow us to be the #1 ranked "other" school. BYU is not eligible. I can't believe we would get leapfrogged by Marshall or Coastal Carolina. So I see incredible upside with not a ton of downside.
                  Our path to CFP is muddled at best, though it begins with winning current schedule. Adding teams or even winning remaining games will not leapfrog us over other teams. A loss to the #14 team could be detrimental, and devastating. Our path to the CFP lies in the right other teams losing. Unfortunately, we do not control our own destiny, nor will we control our own destiny by beating BYU.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

If we can't beat BYU at home, then we don't deserve to be considered for the CFP. We need to have a play anyone, anywhere mindset. My only concern is losing a key player to injury in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Barklee View Post
                      If we can't beat BYU at home, then we don't deserve to be considered for the CFP. We need to have a play anyone, anywhere mindset. My only concern is losing a key player to injury in this game.
                      BYU just turned down a chance to play Washington, so they won't play us. They prefer to play the "North Alabamas" of the world.

B.C.
                      "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Some articles trying to dissect this:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/11/2...king-takeaways

($) https://theathletic.com/news/initial...p/m1OkW0WrPi8e

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...813ra0cf8zghlm

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...et/6412326002/

(Some $) https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-lovefest-more

Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Barklee View Post
                          My concern is the extra game is just another COVID risk or injury risk without benefit. We played a full schedule, or will have. Why add a game when we aren't in control of our own Destiny. If we were 5/6 with BYU, knowing Florida plays Bama and Clemson/ND have to play each other, I'd be all for going to Provo and playing the game. The play anyone, anywhere, any time mindset is good to the extent it helps achieve your program goals. Our schedule will allow us to achieve our goals, we just need help.
                          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Some things to look at regarding this.

1) Take care of our own business and win out.

2) It's likely Notre Dame and Clemson will play again in the ACC Championship game. If Clemson loses again, they will drop below the top 4.

3) Florida needs to lose a game for us to move up .They have UK, @Tenn and LSU left on the schedule. Those should be Ws unless they lay an egg.

4) Texas A&M could stand to lose one. They are home against LSU, @Auburn, @Tenn. The mostly likely problem for them is #22 Auburn.

5) Alabama only has two games left before the SEC Championship. The Iron Bowl is a home game vs. #22 Auburn and they are @ Arkansas.

6) Ohio St. is @ Illinois, @MSU and home for Michigan. I really don't see them losing any of those. They would draw #8 Northwestern in the B1G championship as Wisconsin has Covid canceled themselves out of being eligible for the B1G championship as of this morning.

7) Notre Dame has @ #19 UNC on it's schedule. They then play Cuse and @ Wake Forest. If they win out, they get the AAC Championship game where they could lose and drop out of the top 4.

8) Clemson is home vs. Pitt and @VT. They get ND in the ACC Championship unless they lose prior to that and then.....

9) Watch out from behind. Depending on how things break we could be caught from behind by MIami and Northwestern. Northwestern could theoretically beat tOSU in the B1G Championship and Miami has a home game against #19 UNC. If Miami can beat UNC and If Clemson were to lose, the Canes would draw ND in the ACC Championship.

Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Looks I like I missed the scenario where Saban tests positive for real this time and can't coach the Iron Bowl.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X