BCS, I say NO!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS, I say NO!

Just got back from the UC-UCF game. I have never seen a home crowd PA and video board do so much to intimidate the opposing team! Loud, obnoxious, and during FG and XP kicks, the huge message board had a near blinding, "MISS IT" flashing bright, then dark colors real quick. Still, a quality win for UC.

Now, regarding the BCS, I say I hope we don't get in. We would be seeded number 4, and have to play Alabama in round one. Nobody has come close to beating Alabama, and they just beat a decent (not great) Kentucky team 66-3. An "***-kicking" by Alabama would make all the pundits say, "We told you so."

What I do hope for is a January 1 Bowl game against a good SEC team. Perhaps the Peach Bowl versus Georgia?

Just my thoughts.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

I say stop being negative and believe in the Bearcats. Would be great to get into the playoffs even if we do get our butts kicked. Not many teams hanging with Alabama anyways. I would love to see our defense against Clemson.

Comment

I doubt we'd qualify for the BCS, no way we'd be in the top 2 under that format. As to CFP, I say yes, even if #4. CFP has much more program legitimizing benefits than another NY6. Beating Va. Tech in Orange Bowl and losing to Florida in Sugar bowl had the same effect. The CFP is next level and getting there is important to programs like Oklahoma, ND, OSU, MSU, and all of the P5 programs. A loss, even a blowout loss, is expected and would rate a meets expectations. Keeping it close would be above average for the semi-final games, and a win for us. Beating Miami Hurricanes or losing to Texas A&M/Georgia would be same thing if we got to NY6. Get to CFP and recruits look at us differently. Getting there is the goal. Once there, an oblong hard pigskin can bounce in several directions. Win or lose, I'd like to see this defense against Bama or Clemson, or Ohio State, doesn't matter. We'd have a puncher's chance. I'll take that chance over running scared.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Chris, I think you meant CFP?
        Last edited by Lobot; 11-23-2020, 01:22 PM.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Chris, I thnik you meant CFP?
          Nope, I meant "The Final Four" Bowl teams that will determine the national champ..... I thought that was known as the BCS (Bowl Championship Series)?

B.C.
          Last edited by Bearcat Chris; 11-23-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MI Bearcat View Post
            I say stop being negative and believe in the Bearcats. Would be great to get into the playoffs even if we do get our butts kicked. Not many teams hanging with Alabama anyways. I would love to see our defense against Clemson.
            Not being negative.... there is no bigger fan than me.... just got back from Orlando.

I just don't want us to get blown out. I want us in a good, top notch bowl game, where we can win. Nobody is going to beat Alabama.

B.C.

Comment

Winning a Bowl game versus competing for championship are two different levels. Winning or losing NY6 is meaningless. Lose NY6 is worst case scenario because it invalidates the program even being in the CFP conversation. Win the bowl game and it is a win over second tier and the pundits will still say we didn't play anybody. Even is that nobody is two loss Georgia who just got their stud QB, one loss A&M, two loss Florida, or loser of the Big Ten championship game. Lose in the CFP and you're supposed to lose, but you broke a major glass ceiling for G5 teams. Win in CFP (agree, this is not likely, less than 2% chance) and you establish the program as having arrived on the national championship landscape for several years.

Agree - we are all huge Bearcat fans.

Agree - 'Bama likely blows us out.

Agree - we know you meant the Playoff with four teams

Disagree I say getting there and losing does more for our program than winning NY6 game. This could be a mute argument when first CFP rankings are announced tomorrow, but I want to make it as a reward for playing and winning every game on our schedule, which could be twice as many games as Pac Ten or Big Ten.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                Winning a Bowl game versus competing for championship are two different levels. Winning or losing NY6 is meaningless. Lose NY6 is worst case scenario because it invalidates the program even being in the CFP conversation. Win the bowl game and it is a win over second tier and the pundits will still say we didn't play anybody. Even is that nobody is two loss Georgia who just got their stud QB, one loss A&M, two loss Florida, or loser of the Big Ten championship game. Lose in the CFP and you're supposed to lose, but you broke a major glass ceiling for G5 teams. Win in CFP (agree, this is not likely, less than 2% chance) and you establish the program as having arrived on the national championship landscape for several years.

Agree - we are all huge Bearcat fans.

Agree - 'Bama likely blows us out.

Agree - we know you meant the Playoff with four teams

Disagree I say getting there and losing does more for our program than winning NY6 game. This could be a mute argument when first CFP rankings are announced tomorrow, but I want to make it as a reward for playing and winning every game on our schedule, which could be twice as many games as Pac Ten or Big Ten.
                Well said red_n_black!

B.C.

Comment

Even so-called power programs have gotten clobbered in CFP matchups, including tO$U, Notre Dame and OK. Here's the list of all of the semifinal scores since the 2014-15 season started it all:
                  It's worth the payout alone to get there.

Comment

Swilsonp4 Nailed it, It's the payday. If we get clobbered, we get clobbered, School and Conference both need the money a CFP spot would bring.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I dont believe losing to Alabama in a national championship semi final is going to hurt the cats moving forward at all. Big payday, nationa attention, a playoff appearance. Heck even a blow out loss is good. They are alabama. They blow out alot of teams. Seems like a no loss situation to me. Imagine albany saying no ncaa basketball tournament because we dont want to lose to Virginia.
                      Last edited by Dr.kenneth noisewater; 11-24-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X