No announcement yet.

All Things Fickell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s also the Region 1 Coach of the Year which make him eligible for National Coach of the Year.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

NFL reporter Jason La Canafora: U of Cincy's Luke Fickell is a hot name in NFL circles right now with the Eagles seen by many rival execs as a good fit

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...47523252957185

Comment

If you’re a plane watcher, a Lunken to Philly flight happened today. But then that might happen everyday. Have no idea who was on it or who owns it.
        Last edited by Lobot; 01-13-2021, 11:13 AM.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I wouldn't wish a Philly pro sports job on anybody. Fans are nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
            I wouldn't wish a Philly pro sports job on anybody. Fans are nuts.
            No kidding. If this happens/happened, You take the interview but I don't see this going very far.

That said, It wouldn't surprise if he jumped to the pros. He's good friends with Mike Vrabel from playing and coaching and Vrabel's done pretty well in the NFL.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If you really want to be an Nfl head coach, you should really become a coordinator for some time before trying to make the jump. The road is littered with big time guys like Saban, Spurrier, etc. who couldn't even begin to make it work. Much different job. Vrabel made the jump after being a position coach and dc for a year which prepares you for the differences.

Comment

With all the chatter of Urban to Jax, is there any risk Fick joins him there?
                "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

That 10 year contract is likely a negotiating ploy to keep him from landing anywhere else down the road without compensation. HIs track record is he lasts 3 or 4 years and generally is caught up in health concerns etc. due to his intensity. I can't imagine anyone leaving their own head coaching gig to follow that situation. Assistants are another matter as they typically always move every several years. He's going to need guys around him with Nfl experience.

Comment

I think Urban knows enough quality coaches who for some reason had some bad prior experience. He did that with several on his tOSU team (former head coaches). He gave these guys a chance to redeem themselves and they, for the most part, came through. They are quite capable x & o and with Urban at the head are great assistants. Plus he knows many up and comers who just need that chance to show. While, if LF wanted to go pro after putting time in the NFL to learn, that would be the perfect job. I just hope it isn't/

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
                      With all the chatter of Urban to Jax, is there any risk Fick joins him there?
                      I personally don't think so. Fickell was really a Tressel guy that got retained at OSU. I don't really indentify him as a Meyer protege'
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

There was a time when Meyer was hired that it was wondered if he would keep Fickell on staff after Tressel was let go.

Comment

There was a time when Meyer was hired that it was wondered if he would keep Fickell on staff after Tressel was let go.
                          Well that was a very difficult situation as some viewed that there could be conflict. Many of the rich backers wanted to reward LF and so they did. LF was always the university man as he graciously switched to LBs after Larry Johnson came in. Urban got along well with him even making him d-cord. Luke Fickell is one of the classiest acts in a cut throat occupation as far as the little I know. We must do everything to keep him.

Comment

Urban did promote him and groomed him.

Comment

Here's a new enquirer article about our new recruit with some mentions that Fickell isn't planning on going anywhere soon. Somewhat encouraging but we know that doesn't mean much. I suspect he stays because of his son joining the team more than anything else but I also would guess he is still taking interviews and someone could throw an eye popping amount of money at him he couldn't refuse.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...uc/4168958001/

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                                Here's a new enquirer article about our new recruit with some mentions that Fickell isn't planning on going anywhere soon. Somewhat encouraging but we know that doesn't mean much. I suspect he stays because of his son joining the team more than anything else but I also would guess he is still taking interviews and someone could throw an eye popping amount of money at him he couldn't refuse.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...uc/4168958001/
                                Sure hope you are right. Fickell is popping up as a potential HC in Philly. Most successful college coaches can't make the move to NFL. Motivating millionaires with egos can be difficult.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X