Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things Fickell

https://www.buckeyesports.com/luke-f...at-cincinnati/

Best to start a "catch all" thread. The price of having a great coach. Thx. Fick!

I would expect the Fickell to Michigan rumor to begin soon if Harbaugh is out. It's interesting to speculate whether UM would offer the HC position to Fickell, or if he would consider it if they did, with all the tOSU ties going on there.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      I would expect the Fickell to Michigan rumor to begin soon if Harbaugh is out. It's interesting to speculate whether UM would offer the HC position to Fickell, or if he would consider it if they did, with all the tOSU ties going on there.
      I'd be really surprised to ever see any OSU guy ever take the UM job. It's kind of a lose/lose situation. In order to succeed you have to beat Osu quite a bit which is going to alienate the Osu fans, and if you don't the UM fans will send you packing. Awful hard for a Cbus born and bread guy. I won't get into the stigma of UM having to reach out to an Osu guy. Not worth the hassle as if you don't succeed you probably kill any chance of an Osu or Nd offer.

Comment

Michigan has a history of hiring coaches with ties to Michigan. They didn't follow that when they hired Rodriguez and they took a lot of heat. Can't see them hiring an OSU guy unless they are really desperate.

Comment

From thespun.com in regards to the next Michigan coach.

B.C.

Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell

Fickell should maybe be target 1A for Michigan. Yes, he’s an Ohio State graduate. And yes, it’s possible that Fickell will say no to the job.

Still, Fickell has built Cincinnati into one of the premier Group of 5 programs in America. The Bearcats are undefeated this season and playing like a College Football Playoff contender.

Plus, if he did take the job, how intriguing would the Ohio State vs. Michigan rivalry become?

We’re all for it.
          "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
            From thespun.com in regards to the next Michigan coach.

B.C.

Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell

Fickell should maybe be target 1A for Michigan. Yes, he’s an Ohio State graduate. And yes, it’s possible that Fickell will say no to the job.

Still, Fickell has built Cincinnati into one of the premier Group of 5 programs in America. The Bearcats are undefeated this season and playing like a College Football Playoff contender.

Plus, if he did take the job, how intriguing would the Ohio State vs. Michigan rivalry become?

We’re all for it.
            If thespun.com was a Michigan site, this would be an interesting perspective. Dantonio left for a program in Big 10 because he was a Big 10 guy. BK left for ND because he had aspirations of National Championships. Coach BJ left for TN at a time when TN was not too far removed from SEC and National prominence. I think Luke will also leave for a situation like BK where he can win consistently at a place where the pressure is greatest. The pressure in Ann Arbor is artificially great because they are not as relevant as they think they are, even in their own conference, let alone nationally.

All of this speculation is good because it means we are winning and doing it the right way. We cannot afford to keep Luke forever, but I think the new contract he just signed indicates it will be a national power with lots of money for buyout. Even if UC runs the table, gets a CFP invite, and wins it all, I don't see more than 3-4 schools make a serious enough offer to sway him. Maybe Texas with their lottery money. Less likely Michigan, again with lottery money. Penn State could be a wild card this year, though I think Franklin gets a COVID pass. Auburn? Georgia? Two National powers looking to get over the 'Bama hump. Way less likely UCLA, though it too has lottery money. I don't think there are many other schools who could afford his new buyout in COVID and could be nationally relevant. No way Luke is walking the sidelines in 2022, but there is a 30% chance he is still in Clifton for 2021.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

An OSU guy will never end up at UM.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                An OSU guy will never end up at UM.
                Never say never.

That said, I think/hope Fickell will be here at UC next year. If (big IF) we can run the table next year, with ND and IU on the schedule, we should be a serious contender for CFP.

Comment

I reiterate that no coach wants to go the B1G to play for second place to aO$U, which includes Fickell. The only B1G job he leaves for is aO$U. I could perhaps see him leaving for an SEC gig, but coaches have the same problem with Alabama. Though Saban is getting fairly old and can not keep his stronghold on the SEC forever. I think he may actually stay until a situation arises that he can’t refuse.

Comment

FYI Bo S was a miami product and then a OSU coach under Woody. Gary Moeller (UM HC) was a captain for the buckeyes. Bo hired him.

Comment

CLF's stock will NEVER be higher. He could garner $5 million per year at Michigan, or a similar school. My money says if we win out, he will be gone.

B.C.
                      P.S. How much money does a person need?
                      "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                        CLF's stock will NEVER be higher. He could garner $5 million per year at Michigan, or a similar school. My money says if we win out, he will be gone.

B.C.
                        P.S. How much money does a person need?
                        Never too much money. If Luke wins 'em this year, even undefeated with NY6, I think he will make over $4 million with bonuses at UC. When those power school start throwing raises, they throw an extra million/year here or two million/year there. He'd be crazy not to take that, but not sure he gets that kind of offer next year from the right school. As said earlier, it's a good problem to have, especially after Tubberville.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

A sane UM take:

"Another name that is being thrown out there is Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell. It’s undeniable how good he has been over the last few seasons. But you need to understand a few things about Fickell. He played at Ohio State. He graduated from Ohio State. He coached at Ohio State for 14 seasons. He coaches with a buckeye in his pocket for good luck.

This isn’t a Bo Schembechler type of situation. After speaking to a few people, I don’t see a scenario where this is a realistic hire for Michigan football. Luke Fickell will have every school with a head coaching vacancy calling and wouldn’t seriously consider Michigan football in my opinion."

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                            A sane UM take:

"Another name that is being thrown out there is Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell. It’s undeniable how good he has been over the last few seasons. But you need to understand a few things about Fickell. He played at Ohio State. He graduated from Ohio State. He coached at Ohio State for 14 seasons. He coaches with a buckeye in his pocket for good luck.

This isn’t a Bo Schembechler type of situation. After speaking to a few people, I don’t see a scenario where this is a realistic hire for Michigan football. Luke Fickell will have every school with a head coaching vacancy calling and wouldn’t seriously consider Michigan football in my opinion."
                            This is the kind of thing I expected to hear from UM folks. I think he'd be better off to consider UM than say South Carolina as CBS' Barrett Sallee suggested. I think Fickell could succeed at either but he has no recruiting contacts in SC that I'm aware of. I don't even think we've looked at an SC player in recruiting at all since he's been here. At least at UM he'd be able to dive into Ohio and Detroit for players.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

There is no doubt UM would be better for Fickell than most other schools as long as Fickell (being a life long OSU fan) can stand the smell in Ann Arbor . Its still in the Midwest which he is familiar with and his family would probably like the town. I just don't see UM taking a chance on a somewhat unproven OSU guy in their current situation.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X