No announcement yet.

All Things Fickell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UM can't pull any of the top 5-10 coaches away from their current schools, I vote they look at Doc Holliday and Kalani Sitake and leave Fickell be. For what it's worth my brother in law is a huge Michigan fan and already mentioned them hiring Fickell after they dump Harbaugh.

Comment

Originally posted by MI Bearcat View Post
      There is no doubt UM would be better for Fickell than most other schools as long as Fickell (being a life long OSU fan) can stand the smell in Ann Arbor . Its still in the Midwest which he is familiar with and his family would probably like the town. I just don't see UM taking a chance on a somewhat unproven OSU guy in their current situation.
      Somewhat unproven? I could understand not wanting a younger guy or an OSU guy, though Luke isn't that young. There is something between those two schools. Bo and Woody never would've considered trading spots. It'd be like UC naming Mack to replace Mick or X taking Brannen or a Huggins disciple once their current guys fails. It could happen since he spent time away from Columbus, but I agree they won't take an OSU guy. However, the reason won't be Luke is unproven.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Yes I believe the arrogant Michigan elite would still consider him unproven since he hasn't coached a P5 team. Now that doesn't mean the AD at Michigan thinks he is unproven but I don't see him taking a chance on an OSU grad.

Comment

I'd be shocked if he even considered it. Obviously people have pointed out the obvious, he's got so many O$U ties, that I don't think he has it in his heart to take over UM. But there's something else, that I didn't see mentioned...

Didn't the UM AD basically call Fickell a liar during the James Hudson situation? I'm pretty sure he either outright did, or he insuated it. Not to mention, I can't believe Fickell cared for how their athletic department handled that whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post
            I'd be shocked if he even considered it. Obviously people have pointed out the obvious, he's got so many O$U ties, that I don't think he has it in his heart to take over UM. But there's something else, that I didn't see mentioned...

Didn't the UM AD basically call Fickell a liar during the James Hudson situation? I'm pretty sure he either outright did, or he insuated it. Not to mention, I can't believe Fickell cared for how their athletic department handled that whole thing.
            You know what? You're right? I don't remember exactly, but you're right. It also seems to me to be perhaps the one time since Fickell has been here that he displayed something approaching anger.

Comment

Luke is not mentioned for the Vandy job.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                Luke is not mentioned for the Vandy job.
                Fickell makes more here than Vandy paid/pays Mason. That said, good luck competing in that league from Vandy. Tough, tough job.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Fickell makes more here than Vandy paid/pays Mason. That said, good luck competing in that league from Vandy. Tough, tough job.
                  And besides that, one would think (hope) that the luring of Butch Jones to the SEC from Cincy a few years back would cause Vanderbilt some hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

And besides that, one would think (hope) that the luring of Butch Jones to the SEC from Cincy a few years back would cause Vanderbilt some hesitation.
                    I doubt it would cause SEC to pause at all. Butch is a good guy, but worked best under Brian Kelly. Luke cannot be compared to Butch.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Still, nice to have him only tied to eltie jobs which will be fewer and fewer. Same for S Carolina, doubt he makes their list because salary is too high.

Comment

Vandy? South Carolina? Those positions seem like a step down from the situation he has here where at the current pace they're going to build a statue of the man in Clifton. With Tom Herman on the hot seat at Texas I could see Luke getting an invite for that job, and wouldn't be surprised if he takes it. It's one of maybe a half dozen top spots I think he would relocate the family for. Texas is highly fertile recruiting grounds and the program has loads of money to throw at staff salaries and facilities. Luke may win a championship at a place like that if he were to hop.

My wish if he does leave is that UC can hold on to Freeman by promoting him to HC to continue the momentum here.
                        "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Good coaching aside, a good coach needs the tools and resources to implement a winning program and I'd argue that UC is as much a part of Fickell's success as the coach is. Luke is a great coach: X's and O's, leadership, getting most out of players, player development, recruiting, winning, and the list goes on. However some of the things needed to win were already in place in Cincinnati. We have great facilities, meeting rooms, video equipment/staff, strength and conditioning (trainers and weight room), great local recruiting (many underrated gems stay for coaches like BK, Dantonio, Jones, and Fick with TT being only exception), excellent on campus stadium with tremendous home field advantage. I am not bringing these things up to say that we will be alright if Luke moves on, because I think that is a given. Rather, I bring them up as reasons for Luke to stay. The Cincinnati football program has strong and deep roots. We have been in the National Championship chatter twice in the past 11 years and are ready to take the next step. Many programs are close and reay to take that next step, like A&M, Penn State, USC, and a few other traditional P5 powerhouses that have just missed the Playoff the past 5-6 seasons. LSU made the jump last year. Washington, Mich St, and Oregon have made 1 playoff. Very few programs are perennial Top 10-15 teams to start the season with real shots at the Playoff.

UC has the tools and resources to become one of those teams constantly in the conversation and occasionally breaking through. It might not be this year, but if we keep beating the teams on our schedule, it will happen. The future at UC can be as bright as any potential landing spot for Luke.

Comment

Lovie Smith out at Illinois, but still don't think that draws Luke.

Gus Malzahn out at Auburn. This one is trickier. A, they have the monopoly money that no one can resist, and B, they play the best teams week in and week out.

Comment

AAC Coach of the year. I bet that comes with a bonus check.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                AAC Coach of the year. I bet that comes with a bonus check.
                                Easy pick and well deserved!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X