UC Glorified, But Probably Left Out of Playoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC Glorified, But Probably Left Out of Playoff

This is a well-written piece that really pumps UC to the reader, but the author believes the Cats will be left out by the P5 cabal:

https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/1...20-ucf-memphis

Here's all you need to know about G5 perception to CFP and NY6. 2 loss UCF has a better chance of making the NY6 than 1 loss Tulsa who beat UCF. Perception is everything!

I don't think any school has much chance to win against those top 4. There is a clear line between teams 5-12 and those top 4. Our CFP chances are next to nil.

I think we could play with any of the teams ranked 5-12. We might lose more than we win, but we wouldn't get embarrassed. We would win our fair share.

Still rooting UC to get t CFP, just not holding my breath
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

One could argue UC's chances are better this year than in a typical season for the fact that, if all goes according to plan, UC will end the season 11-0, whereas many other teams, particularly those in the Big Ten will have abbreviated schedules. the Big Ten champ for instance might only be a 7 or 8 game winner depending on how things shake out with o$u and Wisconsin. The SI article below breaks it down pretty well. Imagine a scenario where the Big Ten champ has just 7 wins. What does the committee do then? Or take o$u for example, where right now Indiana is shaping up to be the toughest opponent on their schedule. We all understand o$u is a blue blood in football but how does the selection committee make the argument their strength of schedule is materially better than that of UC? Interesting times to say the least.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/11/1...schedule-covid
      "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Before the 2020 season began, the AAC had at least two teams ranked in the pre-season polls - UC and UCF. Then were others ranked as the games were played. I recall posts on this board that stressed how much the conference commissioner wanted to play this fall based on its perceived strength pre-season. Now, the conference has a top ten-ranked team in UC and another top 25 ranked team in SMU. UC demolished SMU just two or three weeks ago. I'm not sure that aside from aO$U, there is another team dominating its conference as UC currently is. Without any out-of-conference games to judge the relative strength of conferences, it may just come down to UC has an 11 game resume vs. another conferences 7-8 game resume. IMO, that means something - to endure an 11 game season as opposed to 7-8 games. Just keep winning and hope for the best.

Comment

I love that pundits and articles are spelling out not only that we have a chance if things go our way, but also that we deserve it on merit alone. In years past, G5 teams haven't gitten this close or this much wide respect. The UCF teams under Frost should've been in CFP. They were robbed. If we get in, Bearcat Nation will go berserk

Comment

If Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State win out, they are locks to be in, IMO. The only hope is that ND and Florida lose a game along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
              If Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State win out, they are locks to be in, IMO. The only hope is that ND and Florida lose a game along the way.
              Plus Texas A&M. The aleady beat the Gators and are ranked ahead of us. Their only loss was Bama.

Comment

With SMU's loss to Tulsa last night and Army's loss to Tulane, we will not have any wins against a team in the top 25 polls that come out today. I never really thought we had a chance at getting in the CFP, but this makes our schedule look really weak. Hopefully Tulsa breaks into the top 25 by the time we play them.

Comment

I think there's a very plausible scenario where the CFP actually puts us in if we win out.

Here's why.

Because of COVID, everything is crazy this year and right now things are gettting much worse than earlier in the year. Provided UC doesn't get hit with an outbreak again we may one of the few undefeated teams left and available to play. If The CFP is going to put in a G5 team, this has to be the year to do it from the committee's perspective because it'll come with a COVID asterisk attached.

The other reason I see is if they put us or BYU in, it kills the narrative of collusion and anticompetitive practices surrounding the P5 conferences and the CFP. Now they'll be able to say it happened once and they never have to do it again.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    I think there's a very plausible scenario where the CFP actually puts us in if we win out.

Here's why.

Because of COVID, everything is crazy this year and right now things are gettting much worse than earlier in the year. Provided UC doesn't get hit with an outbreak again we may one of the few undefeated teams left and available to play. If The CFP is going to put in a G5 team, this has to be the year to do it from the committee's perspective because it'll come with a COVID asterisk attached.

The other reason I see is if they put us or BYU in, it kills the narrative of collusion and anticompetitive practices surrounding the P5 conferences and the CFP. Now they'll be able to say it happened once and they never have to do it again.
                    Unless we win it all, start preseason in top 8 and go undefeated again. 2020 might be the year they "let us in", but 2021 might be the year they can't keep us out.

Comment

This article about UC or BYU possibly crashing the CFP. I haven't read all of this and it's Insider material but here's the link. ($)

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../_/id/30331921

P.S. if you signed up for ESPN+ you have insider status
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        This article about UC or BYU possibly crashing the CFP. I haven't read all of this and it's Insider material but here's the link. ($)

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../_/id/30331921

P.S. if you signed up for ESPN+ you have insider status
                        The article also mentions the possibility that UC & BYU could meet in a NY6 game.

Comment

I'd really like to see a Uc/Byu matchup. That would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                            As long as it is some bowl not named Gasparilla or Lawn Boy or Pinstripe......

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                              agreed, that would be a fun matchup. Though, I'd rather see both of us play and beat a P5 team.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X