Desmond Ridder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desmond Ridder

Desmond Ridder has won the Walter Camp offensive player of the week award.

Not often you can say that.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

According to GoBearcats this is the first time UC has had a player win this award.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

He really did play an excellent game last night. There are areas for improvement for sure, notably down field, but he earned this award. I am definitely happy for him. It also helps to add legitimacy on the national stage to what our team is doing.

Comment

We played to his strengths on Saturday. The game plan was not to go down field, but give him a chance to get some confidence back and play the rpo with short passes. He has shown that he isn't able to really check down receivers or throw the ball downfield, so he was given plays where he hits a quick out or cross play and if it isn't there, then look for the run. Simplified and it suits him perfectly.

Let's hope defenses aren't able to play against that. Otherwise, we'll have turnover central again like the USF game.

Comment

Davey O’Brien National QB of the week
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            Davey O’Brien National QB of the week
            Back to back weeks. Also got the AAC offensive player of the week again.

Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Per this article, our QB is one of several Patriots should keep an eye on (fairly obvious list)....
              https://nesn.com/2020/11/seven-qb-pr...g-this-season/

Comment

I am glad he is leading this team. He is really making good decisions. What he adds to the running is both quantifiable and intangible. If he could figure out the mid to deep pass, we would be a complete team.

Comment

Originally posted by UC4me View Post
                  I am glad he is leading this team. He is really making good decisions. What he adds to the running is both quantifiable and intangible. If he could figure out the mid to deep pass, we would be a complete team.
                  I agree. His inability to hit the passes beyond 10 yds is our Achilles heel against an elite defense. Fortunately, we're the only elite defense in the AAC.

Comment

Todd Blackledge pointed out during the broadcast yesterday that Des is calling all the protections which not something you see QBs do much of any more. This might be by necessity with a freshman Center but that fact that he's able to do it says a lot about his game prep.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                      Todd Blackledge pointed out during the broadcast yesterday that Des is calling all the protections which not something you see QBs do much of any more. This might be by necessity with a freshman Center but that fact that he's able to do it says a lot about his game prep.
                      I heard that yesterday, but I will admit as to not being totally sure what that means. I know a big deal was made out of his persistent note-taking on defensive tendencies. I also saw two to three guys always trying to block camera angles with towels though Prater pointed at the eye-in-the-sky at one point and seemed to suggest they couldn't do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by UC4me View Post
                        I think we're a complete team now. I agree with more downfield ability we would be an elite team. However, i would also say his running ability makes up for it in large part. We're obviously not struggling to score points. We're just doing it in different ways. The question will be if they meet a top 5 or 10 team who can stop the run if he can hit passes or make them pay with his running skills. However, i do like that they are continuing to take a lot of strikes downfield. I believe they will get some before season's end. It hasn't helped not having Pierce much of the year. He's worked more with Ridder than any of the current wideouts. It would have been nice if Jackson would have snagged that ball for the td yesterday, but keep putting them up.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                          Per this article, our QB is one of several Patriots should keep an eye on (fairly obvious list)....
                          https://nesn.com/2020/11/seven-qb-pr...g-this-season/
                          Is that a sleeper for the draft in 2 years? Does anyone seriously think Des is going to leave early. Michael Warren didn't have much left to prove at the college level. Des could get hot through the air and lead this team to an undefeated season with a major Bowl victory. I haven't seen evidence that he will do so.
                          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Des had one game where I thought he looked like a totally different QB... Against Memphis it looked like he had a different arm than normal. He was chucking it down field accurately. He reverted back to what we are used to seeing against Houston. I told my buddy I was watching it with that they must have shot his arm up with steroids this week. If he could play like that every week we would look and deserve the elite team recognition. You can see it from the stats.
                            Sat 11/7 vsHOUHOU W
                            38-10
                            17 27 162 63.0 6.0 1 1 16 0 118.2 92.2
                            Sat 10/31 vsMEMMEM W
                            49-10
                            21 26 271 80.8 10.4 3 1 45 2 198.7 94.2
                            Sat 10/24 @SMU16SMU W
                            42-13
                            13 21 126 61.9 6.0 1 0 19 0 128.0 97.8
                            Sat 10/3 vsUSFUSF W
                            28-7
                            16 26 143 61.5 5.5 2 3 35 1 110.0 30.4