Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fickell extension!

From Justin Williams:
    - BREAKING: The University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees just unanimously approved a contract extension for #Bearcats head football coach Luke Fickell. Sources tell @TheAthleticCIN @TheAthleticCFB the contract runs through 2026. Story to follow.
    - The extension pays Fickell $3.4 million a year starting with the 2020 season through 2026. All of the extension is funded through private donations & fundraising, according to UC athletic director John Cunningham & the UC Board of Trustees. #Bearcats More soon @TheAthleticCIN

Awesome! It is well deserved.

Comment

Good news for Bearcat football! Wonder if there is a significant buyout clause in there...

Comment

Wow 3.4 million is much more than I thought we could/would offer. I too hope there is a sizeable buyout. Congrats to Coach Fick, this is well deserved and he is probably worth more.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I know I am reading way to much into this but imho you don't throw that kind of money around in a non-P5 league. Here's hoping they are preparing for other news coming down the pike. Sad they found money for this but not the soccer program.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
            Wow 3.4 million is much more than I thought we could/would offer. I too hope there is a sizeable buyout. Congrats to Coach Fick, this is well deserved and he is probably worth more.
            Buyout is $4M through the end of the year, will decrease by $500K annually beginning January 1, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
              I know I am reading way to much into this but imho you don't throw that kind of money around in a non-P5 league. Here's hoping they are preparing for other news coming down the pike. Sad they found money for this but not the soccer program.
              Definitely sad about soccer and any other sports on the block. If you are referencing conference realignment in "other news coming down the pike", I wouldn't hold my breath. I hope this sets up up well when realignment creeps up again, tv contracts aren't set to expire for a few years.

Comment

It looks like this was planned since February when he turned down the MSU gig. My guess is Cunningham has been working on the funding for this since and had to have it in place before he could present it to the board. Good for Fickell and great for UC Football. Puts him in the top 40 in salary for FBS football schools. Perfect lead-in to the football season.

Comment

The entire football coaching salary pool was upgraded. As Justin mentioned , It was done entirely with private money.

The Soccer team argument doesn’t hold water because the additional money for the coaching salaries didn’t come from the Dept. budget.

Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here's the full article from Justin WIlliams: ($)

https://theathletic.com/2021833/2020...-through-2026/

Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                      The entire football coaching salary pool was upgraded. As Justin mentioned , It was done entirely with private money.

The Soccer team argument doesn’t hold water because the additional money for the coaching salaries didn’t come from the Dept. budget.
                      Your comments make absolutely no sense...unless you are implying UC engages in funny accounting. They found money for one thing but not another.

Comment

Your comments make absolutely no sense...unless you are implying UC engages in funny accounting. They found money for one thing but not another.
                        I read that as there are donors specifying funds specifically to football coaching salary for Luke and staff that aren't in the Athletic Department resources, i.e. this extension and raise was added to the Athletic Dept budget for specified purpose or donations wouldn't continue. The funds are in the AD budget for true accounting, but the AD doesn't have ability to divert those funds elsewhere, nor will those funds be there (at least not guaranteed) if there is a coaching change. I also read into it a similar resource isn't in place for soccer, whether solicited or unsolicited, we probably won't know.

Comment

Sure they do. The UCATS donors found money for Fickell's extension during a fundraising push. These donations were earmarked for the football program by the donors. The Athletic Dept. did not spend any additional budgeted money on this extension or salary pool for any of the football coaches. The extension terms for Fickell were mostly agreed upon in February. The final version was finally approved this morning at a regularly scheduled BoT meeting.

The men's soccer team was cut in April. This was an entirely separate decision based solely on the Depts. budget that had been made way prior to that. I mean at some point they could or may have attempted to fundraise for the soccer team I guess. I honestly don't know if they tried but if they did, it obviously failed. They waited until the season was over to announce the end of the program otherwise that news would have come out a lot sooner. Men's soccer cuts are part of national trend based on budgets, Title IX, and the emergence of MLS and it's minor leagues system where athletes can get paid to play. We weren't the only University to cut that program in the last few years, not by a long shot.

Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The elimination of Mens Soccer is sad but in our current fiscal situation a reality. Let's celebrate rewarding our top-notch football coaches and look forward to a a long string of successful seasons!

Comment

More on the extension for those who subscribe ($)

https://theathletic.com/2023625/2020...impact-for-uc/
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X