No announcement yet.

Sports shutdown tracking thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maryland has now suspended football workouts after positive tests to players and staff
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The NJCAA (Juco) announced that all fall sports would move to spring.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
        Let me ask this question... was the B10’s decision really about safety? Or was it about money? My thinking is that they would have lost money on their buy games due to the loss of ticket sales revenue. So going to conference only will ensure they don’t lose money on their buy games.
        Everything in this world is based upon "the money". There is no serious television money for, let's say, an Ohio State versus Bowling Green game, plus with limited ticket sales, it is a $$ loser for O$U.

B.C.
        "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

The Patriot League (FCS) just canceled fall sports entirely
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

ACC just postponed Its football media day. Stay tuned
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The whole cancelling fall sports or postponing them might be a power play by the P5 conferences. By playing only conference games, their out of conference opponents won’t collect the revenue that often times is vital to the athletic department. It may mean the end to many programs.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                The whole cancelling fall sports or postponing them might be a power play by the P5 conferences. By playing only conference games, their out of conference opponents won’t collect the revenue that often times is vital to the athletic department. It may mean the end to many programs.
                I'm sure they're using to their advantage in that regard. I don't personally think they set out to do that before this started or at the beginning. The Big 10 decision caught everyone off guard. Bowlsby with the Big 12 said as much. Jim Delaney retired and this is the first major decision by the new guy at the Big 10. I kind of think he jumped the gun. The outlier here seem to be the SEC which is said it's going to wait as long as possible on a decision. Pretty sure they'll be conference only too but I think they'll have a better plan in place than just cutting the Non Conference season without fill ins. The SEC have a meeting scheduled at lunch time today.

If the P5 tries to consolidate power during COVID-19 it'll be interesting to see what the G5 does. Schools affected by severed contracts should be amicably settling those contracts and not suing IMO. If you're a school that sues a competitor, good luck ever scheduling a P5 buy game again.

As far as programs go, I think you're correct. Some of them will go belly up and I don't think the P5 is immune to that either. Some of the traditional bottom feeders in the P5 have financial issues. Iowa State predicted a $40M Atheletic Dept loss if they don't play football on top of a $70M loss they've already recorded for the school as a whole.

I think they whole Next Level Fund drive by UCATS going on right now is a concerted effort to make sure UC is not one of the schools that crashes.

Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If they move to Spring football, will draft eligible players opt out? With the recent trend of stars opting out of meaningless bowl games, will 3rd and 4th year players think the newly organized season is little more than a bunch of exhibition games? I cannot see the NFL alterning their draft unless they too are forced into spring football. There will be first year players this year and next year, so additional years for seniors isn't too likely.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                    If they move to Spring football, will draft eligible players opt out? With the recent trend of stars opting out of meaningless bowl games, will 3rd and 4th year players think the newly organized season is little more than a bunch of exhibition games? I cannot see the NFL alterning their draft unless they too are forced into spring football. There will be first year players this year and next year, so additional years for seniors isn't too likely.
                    While I'd love to see them play in the spring I don't think it will happen in the AAC specifically because of all the climate variability and how far flung the conference is. This conference we're in is by far the one with the worst outlook to play a conference only season because of it's footprint. Playing conference only football does not help anyone in this conference a damn bit.

To your point, the logistics don't work either.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

And the MAC just suspended media day.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Positive note: tOSU has resumed workouts
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This article has some interesting atheltic financial info it for those who are subscribers:

https://theathletic.com/1926692/2020...ing-fall-2020/

The highlight is that all 5 G5 conferences were granted money from the federal PPP loan program and this saved multiple jobs. The AAC's loan was somewhere between 350K and 1M. I have no idea if any of that trickled down to UC or not.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Bowlsby's going to hold out on making a decision for the Big 12

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...sports-season/
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Philadelphia Eagles will play in an empty stadium.

Comment

AAC Covid-19 Test Plan

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt...-ncaa-71822604

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X