Sports shutdown tracking thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports shutdown tracking thread

OSU has shut down it's fall sports workouts: https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2...vid-19-testing

The Ivy league has canceled all fall sports

The ACC has canceled everything prior to Sept.1 which so far doesn't affect football but that could change. https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/0...virus-concerns

Louisville shut down basketball workouts after positive tests. https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ts/5389675002/

You can post others as they come out.
    Last edited by Lobot; 07-09-2020, 12:34 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Houston was already mentioned for football workouts as well.

I'm just trying to get all this stuff in one thread folks. I put in the football forum becuase football is the budgetary workhorse.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The B1G looks like they’re about to announce conference only games for the fall. This will kill our buy game payday at Nebraska. Really unfortunate. Probably also kills the return game in Cincy.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Bryan FIscher is reporting that the PAC 12 is likely to follow suit after the Big 10 opened the gates.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Bryan FIscher is reporting that the PAC 12 is likely to follow suit after the Big 10 opened the gates.
          ACC as well from Brett Mcmurphy

Comment

So let me ask this question. IF we do not have football this fall. How does UC stay D1 eligible? I don’t see any way possible UC is able to stay over the 16 sport limit to be D1 Eligible. I believe we are currently at 17 or 18 sports.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
              So let me ask this question. IF we do not have football this fall. How does UC stay D1 eligible? I don’t see any way possible UC is able to stay over the 16 sport limit to be D1 Eligible. I believe we are currently at 17 or 18 sports.
              I would hope there is an exception due to C-19.

Comment

There's definitely going to be major belt tightening but I can't imagine there would not be a waiver under the circumstances if we have to cut more sports.

Stanford just cut 11 sports but had about 30 to begin with. One of the reporters and I can't remember who, pointed out that a lot of schools are using Covid-19 as an excuse to get rid of underperforming or marginal sports and to reorganize their departments.

If you are really concerned about the dept's budget shortfall, I'd recommend you watch this video from our AD John Cunningham and help out if you can. I did so yesterday.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2020/7/9...-athletes.aspx
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If all UC alumni donate a $100, that would be a great cash inflow to help in these crazy times. I gave to this cause as well as my funding of the new arena.
                  It's only money & I can't take it with me!

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                    If all UC alumni donate a $100, that would be a great cash inflow to help in these crazy times. I gave to this cause as well as my funding of the new arena.
                    It's only money & I can't take it with me!
                    Good idea.

Comment

Republic of CIncinnati has a matching program going on around this.

Take a pic of your receipt and post it to their twitter account @repofcincinnati and they'll match donations up to a total of $500
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Steve Berkowitz has financials re: the Big 10 decision. The MAC alone stands to lose a collective $10.5M

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ue/5409321002/

Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Let me ask this question... was the B10’s decision really about safety? Or was it about money? My thinking is that they would have lost money on their buy games due to the loss of ticket sales revenue. So going to conference only will ensure they don’t lose money on their buy games.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
                            Let me ask this question... was the B10’s decision really about safety? Or was it about money? My thinking is that they would have lost money on their buy games due to the loss of ticket sales revenue. So going to conference only will ensure they don’t lose money on their buy games.
                            Good question. Seems like most decisions are based on economics. Gives me some hope that there will be some semblance of a football season if there is any possible way to do it safely. Lots of money involved.
                            ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Pac 12 is now officially conference only
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X