No announcement yet.

Sports shutdown tracking thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can cross the SEC off the list. They announced a delayed, conference-only schedule. Only the B12 haven't finalized a decision. Aside from them, only the ACC is allowing one in-state-only OOC game.

Comment

The Pac 12 players thing is getting really interesting and might turn into a players union if not a boycott. There are over 100 players from the PAC 12 schools involved.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/0...to-skip-season
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Well, MLB, the NO FUN LEAGUE, and the NBA are all on their way to ruination, so it only figures that college FB would be next. These idiots in the PAC forgot that they are getting about $45K a year (or more), in tuition, books, and room and board.

B.C.
        "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

I don't like the idea of a college level player's union because I prefer to maintain some sense of the student in student-athletics. I do like the players getting together and demanding their voices be heard. Protecting the student is one of the things I thought the NCAA was doing in addition to ensuring fair play (as laughable as that is) by governing the universities. Perhaps there should be a student panel that is represented on the NCAA, with school committees, one player represent each sport at conference level and one player from each conference representing conferences at NCAA level so the voices are heard without several differing opinions. The NCAA has let money drive itself and distance its effectiveness at governing. I like what the PAC-12 is doing, but it really should be consistent across the NCAA.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
            I don't like the idea of a college level player's union because I prefer to maintain some sense of the student in student-athletics. I do like the players getting together and demanding their voices be heard. Protecting the student is one of the things I thought the NCAA was doing in addition to ensuring fair play (as laughable as that is) by governing the universities. Perhaps there should be a student panel that is represented on the NCAA, with school committees, one player represent each sport at conference level and one player from each conference representing conferences at NCAA level so the voices are heard without several differing opinions. The NCAA has let money drive itself and distance its effectiveness at governing. I like what the PAC-12 is doing, but it really should be consistent across the NCAA.
            Red_n_Black...... if the universities start losing money because of increased costs the players demand, they will simply shut down their football programs. I was at UC in 1976 when a group of UC students demanded UC drop football, and the News Records referred to UC FB as UC's "Welfare Cadillac".

Students voted (real voting machines), and there were three choices: 1. Continue the program as it was. 2. Drop down to Division I-AA. 3. Completely drop the program. Dropping to 1-AA won w/ over 50% of the vote. Fortunately, the UC Board of Trustees did not follow the student vote.

B.C.
            Last edited by Bearcat Chris; 08-03-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

The Ohio Department of Health on Saturday, restated that the current position is that no fall sports will be permitted to play in front of fans. Shortly after that, Governor DeWine said we’re in a holding pattern, with no final decision yet made. He stated that that will occur shortly.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...CDHW5446S7CIQ/

Comment

Big 12 is going with 9 + 1 non conference
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  Big 12 is going with 9 + 1 non conference
                  Does that mean we can still play them as their one non conference game?

B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

B.C.
                    We could... but their one OOC game has to be a home game for the Big12 team.

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                      The Ohio Department of Health on Saturday, restated that the current position is that no fall sports will be permitted to play in front of fans. Shortly after that, Governor DeWine said we’re in a holding pattern, with no final decision yet made. He stated that that will occur shortly.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...CDHW5446S7CIQ/
                      The BuckNuts will overrun him with rea$on$ to allow fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

B.C.
                        It is unlikely any ACC or Big 12 team will need to add teams as much as I wish it were so. They will likely keep one of the teams currently on the schedule.I wouldn't care if we were the visiting team. I would take any Big 12 or ACC team over our current schedule, should a team on current schedule become unavailable.

Comment

• My bad you guys.... Big 12 allowing one non conference game. I had in my thick head that Nebraska was still in the Big 12, and not the Big 10.

B.C.

Comment

• Important NCAA Board of Governors vote today per Chris Vaninni at the Athletic. They will vote on fall sports championship statuses today for the lower divisions.

While this doesn’t directly affect FBS football it could directly effect UC. So far FCS schools were mostly going to try and play but this vote might kill that. We could lose the Austin Peay season opener if that happens.

This would leave us with Miami and Western Michigan in non-conference play pending what the MAC opts to do with its schedule.

I think the MAC will try and keep its remaining buy games intact for financial reasons.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• And the above decision might lead to the breakup of the NCAA .

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-fall-sports
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The Sun Belt is playing a full schedule wherever possible. 8 games + up to 4. Texas St opens the season at SMU on Aug 29 in week 0.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X