Fickell Remains with Bearcats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I am SO happy that he is staying... We really have something special going with him as the leader of the program.

BUT... a question about how all of this finished up. IF coach is being honest about his reasons for staying (wife, kids, etc)... why even do the interview ?
    If those are truly dear to you, why would you not say "due to those reasons", I do not wish to be considered a candidate ? In some of the reporting online,
    it sounds like MSU might have come up short on their sales pitch... that would mean that.. had they done a better job, he may have taken the offer. Which
    again... leads me back to.. what happened to the reasons stated for staying here ?

Again.. i am PUMPED that he is staying... I just kinda feel like.. Are we being told the REAL reason he turned it down...
    Unless UC joins a P5 conference, it will always be difficult to retain good coaches. UC cannot compete with the resources of a P5 program. Anyone in Fickell’s circumstance would interview for the job. If you pass on the opportunity to hear the pitch, then you are doing yourself a disservice. I’ve read that he and his wife were concerned with the culture around MSU’s program. In the interview he says that he stayed because of his family and the team he has coming next year. Whatever the reason, this fact is absolutely huge for UC and it’s football program - he turned down a P5 program to remain at UC. I personally believe that UC is set up well to have a special season in 2020 - it’s roster and it’s schedule are set up for success - which was a factor in Fickell’s decision. Looking at MSU and some of the allegations concerning its program and it’s players would make anyone pause. In fact, a few candidates expressed no interest even before being interviewed. Those candidates are currently coaching P5 programs. There will be better opportunities for Fickell in the future and he is willing to wait to see what happens after the 2020 season or beyond to reassess his options within the coaching landscape at that time.

Comment

There were several P5 programs that put out feelers for Fickell the last couple of years. Some of them were just bad matches like Ole Miss. MSU was bad timing plus the very obvious issues they are facing. I think had this been a better time to make a move and MSU was not under the microscope, he probably would have taken the job. That's my opinion.

As far as Fickell listening to MSU again in Deccember, apparently a Michigan radio station interviewed MSU BoT member Brian Mosallam, who referred to Fickell as a "waffling flake" according to the radio host. I have no idea if this is actually true but the Radio station says it's a quote. If that's the case, I think Fickell would be unlikely to listen a second time around and that Mr. Mosallam just shot his school in the foot again.

From my perspective, Stuff like that from higher ups at the MSU is another reason why no one wants to work for these guys.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        There were several P5 programs that put out feelers for Fickell the last couple of years. Some of them were just bad matches like Ole Miss. MSU was bad timing plus the very obvious issues they are facing. I think had this been a better time to make a move and MSU was not under the microscope, he probably would have taken the job. That's my opinion.

As far as Fickell listening to MSU again in Deccember, apparently a Michigan radio station interviewed MSU BoT member Brian Mosallam, who referred to Fickell as a "waffling flake" according to the radio host. I have no idea if this is actually true but the Radio station says it's a quote. If that's the case, I think Fickell would be unlikely to listen a second time around and that Mr. Mosallam just shot his school in the foot again.

From my perspective, Stuff like that from higher ups at the MSU is another reason why no one wants to work for these guys.
        You can listen to the exact words out of Mosallum's mouth here. https://971theticket.radio.com/media...s-jamie-stoney

Comment

Wow. "Waffling Flake".

I listened to enough of it to construe that CLF asked about the scandal situation, and declined because he didn't get a satisfactory answer. And this makes him waffling Flake? Real nice. Very professional.

Comment

Here is the published story: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ch/4722801002/

Comment

Trustees at Msu are elected officials which makes for some odd choices compared to a lot of big universities. If you venture to Msu's fan boards, it's almost laughable how lowly the trustee/hierarchy of school officials are thought of. However, it is easier to understand how some of these major scandals have unfolded as it sounds as big a dumpster fire as is portrayed or even worse. How low key Dantonio lasted there this long is almost comical to me. However, my guess is he just worked around them, but ultimately his lack of oversight likely landed him in a bad spot. Props to Fickell for not taking the bait.

Comment

Coach, did not know that about MSU officials. That is the craziest thing I've heard.

Now that this is officially over, we need to replace two coaches at very important positions. Hopefully, CLF has some good candidates in mind for RB and DL. I'd be interested to see if any of Dantonio's assistants might be on the list since he and Dantonio are close. I heard Pead mentioned as well as Walter Stewart, as far as former players. Not sure what experience Pead has, but it would be interesting to see him back. Stewart is a good DL option.

Comment

Originally posted by KBearcat View Post
                  Wow. "Waffling Flake".

I listened to enough of it to construe that CLF asked about the scandal situation, and declined because he didn't get a satisfactory answer. And this makes him waffling Flake? Real nice. Very professional.
                  Can we lobby to have the T.E.A.M. on the back of LF's game-day pullovers replaced with W.F.? That would be fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post
                    Coach, did not know that about MSU officials. That is the craziest thing I've heard.

Now that this is officially over, we need to replace two coaches at very important positions. Hopefully, CLF has some good candidates in mind for RB and DL. I'd be interested to see if any of Dantonio's assistants might be on the list since he and Dantonio are close. I heard Pead mentioned as well as Walter Stewart, as far as former players. Not sure what experience Pead has, but it would be interesting to see him back. Stewart is a good DL option.
                    Stewart would be a great DL coach in Clifton! I don't think Pead has done any coaching, he was still trying to break in with the Dolphins when the crash occurred.
                    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Walt Stewart is under contract at Temple currently. Not sure if he has any kind of of buyout or rentention clause to deal with. I would like to see him here but he's been with Rod Carey at two stops now. Not sure whether he would be enclined to come back to UC or not. I know the fanbase has previously brought this up so I'm pretty sure he's aware that this is a possibility. Keep in mind he has no connection to Fickell that I'm aware of.

As far as Pead goes I don't believe he's involved with coaching at all. He runs a trucking company. I have not seen anything publicly from him since the NFL.com video regarding the Paralympics in 2018. The last time he tweeted anything was Nov. 1, 2019 in support of UCATS Philanthopy Friday.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This could be the era that UC football breaks out (I know, we flirted with that 10 years ago - Damn Colt McCoy!!). CLF feels like a Bob Huggins-type fit for the program. CLF has already turned down P5 opportunities, which speaks volumes of the current state of the program. The record-breaking recruiting classes, head coach-quality asst. coaches and of course COACH. I know this town doesn't like to boast, but now is the time.

Comment

Fickell has been pretty deliberate at adding assistants in the past, and i suspect he'll take his time here as well. Given his back round is as a defensive lineman, and he's got a lot of young guys in the program now I suspect he has some freedom there. I think Gino was at one time a qb and rb coach so i'm guessing he chips in there as well. Can't hurt to have Doaks who i think is in his 5th season. Best to get a guy who's a good fit. We're in a lot better shape now than when he got here. Depth definitely makes coaching a lot easier. Og's take care of the new guys.
                          Last edited by coach; 02-11-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

ESPN is reporting Mel Tucker out of Colorado is taking the MSU job. While CLF's silence during his process was difficult, it was also honorable. As recently as Saturday, Tucker tweeted out a VERY direct tweet that he was committed to the Buffalos and everything they were building. What a joke! The guy has lost all credibility for the duration of his career. We suspect CLF won't be here for a long time (though some people think it is possible). But, at least he has the character to know how to go through a process like this with integrity.

Comment

I agree that Fickell handled the situation with class and character. Tucker did not, IMO. Just further evidence that UC has the best coach of its football program at this time. Continue to enjoy this coaching staff because someday it will move on. But, in the meantime, go Bearcats!!

Comment

Mel Tucker - one year at CU with a 5-7 record. This is from an AP story 4 days ago:

"Tucker said on his Twitter account that although he was flattered to be considered for Michigan State, he is committed to Colorado for the build of the program."

"Colorado also released a statement from athletic director Rick George.

""Mel has turned heads here with the culture he's quickly building and recruiting success he's had, so it's only natural that programs looking for a coach are going to be taking note," George said. "I know he's committed to the Buffs all the way and we're committed to supporting the vision he has for our program and winning championships. I've said plenty of times that we couldn't be more excited that Mel is our head coach.""

Not so fast, Mr. George.

Just an idea for CU - they were once the "dream job" of a football coach named Lyle Jones. I believe he's still available.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X