Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fickell Remains with Bearcats

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...te/4707288002/

Great to see. Man what a whirlwind of misinformation these past few days were. Mainly the confirmations that Fickell was gone for certain. Glad he's staying. I'm pumped for 2020!

Comment

Great news...I have to think that in a few years Ryan Day (given his pro experience) will receive interest for an NFL HC gig a la Matt Rhule, and that's when CLF will leave...back to OSU.

Comment

It’ll be interesting to see the terms on the extension. We might be doing this again in December for real depending on the buyout.

I don’t think he leaves in the short term for anything other than a OSU or ND offer. Although to be honest it would not entirely surprise me for MSU to make another run at him in December when the timing is better. He’d actually be a good fit at Michigan but I doubt either party would entertain that idea because of the OSU ties.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          It’ll be interesting to see the terms on the extension. We might be doing this again in December for real depending on the buyout.

I don’t think he leaves in the short term for anything other than a OSU or ND offer. Although to be honest it would not entirely surprise me for MSU to make another run at him in December when the timing is better. He’d actually be a good fit at Michigan but I doubt either party would entertain that idea because of the OSU ties.
          I guess we'll see how it goes. I agree that there wouldn't be many places outside of OSU and ND to pursue. But what if they had a dream season and still got screwed out of the desired bowl game? Could accelerate things -- though I guess he would also be even hotter of a candidate then.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
            Great news...I have to think that in a few years Ryan Day (given his pro experience) will receive interest for an NFL HC gig a la Matt Rhule, and that's when CLF will leave...back to OSU.
            I'm not too worried about Day leaving for the NFL any time soon (not really a step-up anymore if you're a successful top 5 program HC these days). I also think us UC fans over-value Fick (he wasn't even mentioned for any other opening this off-season, for a reason) in terms of how he's viewed by most P5 schools (of course he's a great fit here right now for us).

Unless, as Lobot eluded to, his contract situation turns sour, I think we're safe with LF for another 2-3 years here. If he's put together a top 15-20 program by then and dominates the conference, I'm sure he'll start getting clawed at - could happen sooner if he has a great year - the UC team last season had all sorts of issues and squeaked out a lot of wins, his first season was a losing one, he's only been a HC for 3 years now, I think it'll take some more time before the big boy schools are really interested in him - MSU was pretty unique, and, TBH, they're desperate (no knock on LF).

Comment

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ll/4714187002/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                Let us stop all the speculation. That has never been said by Day and has gotten it start by assumptions. Let us enjoy our coaches and whatever comes, comes.

Comment

um Bo Schembechler was Woody's top assistant and Gary Moeller was a tOSU captain.

Comment

Folks I am groovy with the moment. Let us enjoy our coach and while doing it, develop Freeman and especially Gino for replacements if LF leaves. Also remember Mickens is on the staff. He has a very bright future too.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

um Bo Schembechler was Woody's top assistant and Gary Moeller was a tOSU captain.
                      Good point. Leo, I was like maybe 8 when most of that happened.

I do think that rivalry is way more polarized than it used to be. Not sure that would happen in today's environment. They have to have their Michigan man.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Hey, for those who would like to celebrate this occasion, there's a huge push on for season tickets subscription and donations right to help pay Fickell's salary.

Go here, join UCATS and pick up some tickets.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2020/2/1...e-fickell.aspx
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                          Folks I am groovy with the moment. Let us enjoy our coach and while doing it, develop Freeman and especially Gino for replacements if LF leaves. Also remember Mickens is on the staff. He has a very bright future too.
                          Agree 100% with you! The program is in very capable hands, possibly better than ever before. The future has never looked better, in my opinion. The best coach for current times (CLF) and a deep bench should he bolt early. I also agree with Lobot in now is the time to step up and show monetary support to the man who has exceeded our expectations and delivered what was promised. Time for Bearcat Nation to show out.

Comment

Good point. Leo, I was like maybe 8 when most of that happened.

I do think that rivalry is way more polarized than it used to be. Not sure that would happen in today's environment. They have to have their Michigan man.
                            The funny thing is I remember Jackie Lee and the 51 Sun bowl at least the talk about it. It was a long wait till the 1997 Humanitarian bowl. I just want to enjoy the moment of bearcat success.

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I am SO happy that he is staying... We really have something special going with him as the leader of the program.

BUT... a question about how all of this finished up. IF coach is being honest about his reasons for staying (wife, kids, etc)... why even do the interview ?
                              If those are truly dear to you, why would you not say "due to those reasons", I do not wish to be considered a candidate ? In some of the reporting online,
                              it sounds like MSU might have come up short on their sales pitch... that would mean that.. had they done a better job, he may have taken the offer. Which
                              again... leads me back to.. what happened to the reasons stated for staying here ?

Again.. i am PUMPED that he is staying... I just kinda feel like.. Are we being told the REAL reason he turned it down...

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X