Thoughts on Birmingham Bowl Victory!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post
    Despite the offensive numbers in the running game, my game ball goes to Bryan Wright who had an amazing game last night. He was a wrecking crew all night! Constantly hitting guys in the backfield, breaking up passes, BIG hits and a recovered fumble. Congrats to him on an awesome career at UC and what a way to finish it out! I'm really going to miss him next year.
    Wright didn’t get nearly enough recognition and press for this team.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Speaking of press, when will the Cincinnati Enquirer figure out there are more people interested in UC football than "Whats Going on with the C in the Cincinnati Sign?" Its a flipping joke of a professional journal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat1996 View Post
        Speaking of press, when will the Cincinnati Enquirer figure out there are more people interested in UC football than "Whats Going on with the C in the Cincinnati Sign?" Its a flipping joke of a professional journal.
        The Enquirer is a total joke! Their staff must go home at noon time so there is noway anything printed is timely or relevant! It should be named the Columbus Dispatch South!

Comment

The local rag is a complete embarrassment (mostly to UC sports and their loyal fans). Not sure what can be done to correct this, but I am embarrassed for them. The majority of their headlines and stories relate to, at best, 5% of the population. It boggles the mind how they run that paper. Thank god for bearcatnews.com

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post

The Enquirer is a total joke! Their staff must go home at noon time so there is noway anything printed is timely or relevant! It should be named the Columbus Dispatch South!
            Well, both papers are now owned by Gannett Corp. so there are likely similarities between the two. However the Enquirer sold first with the Dispatch being acquired just last year. I've noticed a lot more canned, national news on the online version with a drop off in local items. Just a casualty of scaling out media I suppose.
            "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

The local rag is a complete embarrassment (mostly to UC sports and their loyal fans). Not sure what can be done to correct this, but I am embarrassed for them. The majority of their headlines and stories relate to, at best, 5% of the population. It boggles the mind how they run that paper. Thank god for bearcatnews.com
              They (The Enquirer) have cut their reporting staff by 75%, as they are going broke. McClatchy News, which owns many big newspapers, including the Kansas City Star among others, is on the verge of BK.

Heck, even with the staff cuts, their UC FB coverage is much better than it was in the 70's and 80's, when it was locally owned.

B.C.
              "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

To be honest, and I'm reading selectively from afar, The UC coverage under Fletcher Page has been more objective and thorough than from his predecessors over the years. Page is much younger than the previous beat writers and does not have ties to the city and it shows. With the trouble that print media is having almost everywhere right now, Page is doing well in a tough spot.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The enquirer is still in publication? I used to have the app on my phone, but switched to other local news apps for the news/weather. I get my sports from CBSSports, ESPN, and more in depth coverage from the Athletic (Justin Williams does great!). Seriously, I can't recall seeing the yellow pull down boxes nor do I see the local news print next to USA Today at local stores.Do they even make a print version?
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I still have some random thoughts about the bowl (and will probably in the future, when there's no other FB to talk about between 2nd recruiting and Spring practice).

One is that the stadium, historic Legion Field, was in much better shape than 2007 when we visited last. For that we were thankful.

I saw the attendance announced around 27K, and thought that was impossible unless they were all hiding in the glassed-in boxes across the way. At the bottom I'm posting an AP article link about attendance and the addition of 2 more bowls for 2020 and the projection that it'll probably peak at 50! But included in the article was a sentence dealing with the Birmingham Bowl attendance (spoiler alert: it wasn't 27K). Also in the story were some nice thoughts by Ohio U coach Frank Solich about some of the benefits of the bowls for the players.

There's also a quote from a Football Bowl Association executive noting that part of the problem of attendance dropping is with schools that 20 years ago were excited to go to bowls and now not so much. We don't need a show of hands on this site, but the sentiment has been expressed.

http://hosted.stats.com/cfb/story.as...ec&tm=&src=CFB

Comment

James Hudson was named to the AP all bowl team. He mauled people, imagine if we had him the whole year.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X