X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobot
    started a topic Memphis 11/29 3:30 ABC

Memphis 11/29 3:30 ABC

It's going to be interesting to see how Fickell plays this game. Chances are we get to see them twice. So do you start Ridder banged up and then go to Ben Bryant or the other way around? If we lose either of them, the Cotton Bowl is out. Lose both of them and the Liberty Bowl is probably out. I really don't think we can beat them twice with Ridder injured. Last night against Temple he wasn't even running the ball much. Defense, special teams and the RB crew is winning us games right now.

I think goal setting mandates you throw your best out there and try and win them both.

The game is going to hinge on whether we can stop Coxie and Gibson on the outside without giving up chunk yardage to Gainwell. Gainwell is a freshman and has 1294 yards rushing with a ludicrous 6.8 yard avg. He wasn't even supposed to be the starter this year and ended up on the Doak Walker Award list. Coxie catches 1 out of every 4 completed passes for Memphis. If we can't defend him we're in trouble.

Defense has to get to the QB. Brady White holds the ball for deep routes and gets sacked a lot. Have to get off the field on 3rd down when we have the chance or the D will wear down late in the game.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/235

The scenario for the AAC Championship game are:

UC beats Memphis and Navy beats Houston: We host Navy

UC beats Memphis and Houston beats Navy: We host Memphis

UC loses to Memphis and we're on the road at Memphis again.

If there's a tie in the West division, Memphis owns the head to head tiebreaker over Navy and there's no way Navy can advance to the Championship Game with a UC loss.

• coach
    replied
    He'll play both qb's unless one is not available. Got to clean up the blocking in the center of the line. It costs us although we still we pretty good on offense.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatjd
    replied
    Great effort & a disappointing loss. I'm proud of our Bearcats & the way they hung in there. They could have thrown in the towel after being down 17-3. Let's get revenge next week!

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat-in-Italy
    replied
    It is one thing to have a philosophy of being aggressive, and it’s another thing to pay attention to game flow and how the momentum is going and how your team is playing. I really think you take the three points and all the momentum is still swinging in your favor. The Memphis special-teams and defensive takeaways were the difference in the game. What is usually our strength was our weakness today and we did not have enough to overcome it. I was pleased they came back from being down by two touchdowns but felt like this was a game we could’ve won. Stupid penalty at the end of the game really tough to see.

Previous comments by other members pointing out that Fickel should have played Ben earlier in the season to give him additional experience were spot on. Not a great time to start your first game in a hostile environment in a critical win situation

Leave a comment:

• Cliftonite
    replied
    Closer game than I thought it'd be at least. Bryant looked like a guy starting his first game - too many bad decisions, tough position for someone to be put in. Just too many pre-snap penalties and giving-up big plays on defense. The Db's on this team either need to get a lot better, or they need to find some new guys next year.

I'm not sure Ridder would've fared much better, may not have turned it over nearly as much, but don't think he makes some of those throws Bryant made either, kind of a wash, but hard to say.

Bryant's got an interesting arm, if he can avoid those poor decisions and get better with experience, could be a pretty interesting QB. He'll have his hands full with Prater next year, if he doesn't red shirt.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    UM's coaching staff dialed up pressure all day, which is great strategy against a kid making an emergency first career start. For most of the night, Ben Bryant handled it decently well, but the fourth quarter was really rough for him. The Tigers were abusing UC's O-line at that point.

It didn't help to get punched in the face on the opening kickoff, but the Cats didn't quit. The game could've been tied heading to the fourth.

Michael Warren II was his usual tough self (122 yards rushing).

The coaches will examine the tape and make whatever adjustments are necessary. They know now that they can play with that bunch. But, no stupid penalties again. That has to be addressed in a fashion that doesn't affect their assertiveness.

Leave a comment:

• UC4me
    replied
    Originally posted by BearcatJon View Post
    Kick the FG at the end of the 3rd. That completely changes those last few drives. You need to penalize Memphis for not kicking a FG just prior to that drive!
    I agree. On the road, get it back to an even score at that point. However, at the beginning of the year, he said they were going to be aggressive in situations like that. He stuck to it.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat Chris
    replied
    After holding them in the 4th quarter, and having 4 minutes to get 3 points, then we get the personal foul, which gave them the ball back. Still, better performance than I expect, and I agree, they will not start as hot next week as they did this week.

B.C.

Leave a comment:

• BearcatJon
    replied
    I like our chances in second game. No opening kickoff TD (hopefully) and you get Ben Bryant in his second game. Need Boise to lose now

Leave a comment:

• steveedwards
    replied
    By no means do I wish we had a different coach, but I believe tonight’s loss is on Luke Fickell. Should have gone for 3 and undisciplined penalties.

Leave a comment:

• BearcatJon
    replied
    Kick the FG at the end of the 3rd. That completely changes those last few drives. You need to penalize Memphis for not kicking a FG just prior to that drive!

Leave a comment:

• BearcatJon
    replied
    Bengal like penalty cost them the game

Leave a comment:

• ACAirborne
    replied
    Originally posted by UC4me View Post
    Stupid penalty jacking a guy in the head after the play is over. We need more self-control.
    And finally a penalty that leads to a loss. So undisciplined...

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    They've overcome stupid all year, today it finally caught up with them.

The play calling has to be more creative. Memphis had about 15 tackles for loss against the UC offense, and too many drives never have a chance with that stuff going on. Unless Ridder is 100 percent, they need to stick with Bryant next week.

Leave a comment:

• UC4me
    replied
    Stupid penalty jacking a guy in the head after the play is over. We need more self-control.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X