Memphis 11/29 3:30 ABC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis 11/29 3:30 ABC

It's going to be interesting to see how Fickell plays this game. Chances are we get to see them twice. So do you start Ridder banged up and then go to Ben Bryant or the other way around? If we lose either of them, the Cotton Bowl is out. Lose both of them and the Liberty Bowl is probably out. I really don't think we can beat them twice with Ridder injured. Last night against Temple he wasn't even running the ball much. Defense, special teams and the RB crew is winning us games right now.

I think goal setting mandates you throw your best out there and try and win them both.

The game is going to hinge on whether we can stop Coxie and Gibson on the outside without giving up chunk yardage to Gainwell. Gainwell is a freshman and has 1294 yards rushing with a ludicrous 6.8 yard avg. He wasn't even supposed to be the starter this year and ended up on the Doak Walker Award list. Coxie catches 1 out of every 4 completed passes for Memphis. If we can't defend him we're in trouble.

Defense has to get to the QB. Brady White holds the ball for deep routes and gets sacked a lot. Have to get off the field on 3rd down when we have the chance or the D will wear down late in the game.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/235

The scenario for the AAC Championship game are:

UC beats Memphis and Navy beats Houston: We host Navy

UC beats Memphis and Houston beats Navy: We host Memphis

UC loses to Memphis and we're on the road at Memphis again.

If there's a tie in the West division, Memphis owns the head to head tiebreaker over Navy and there's no way Navy can advance to the Championship Game with a UC loss.

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

This is going to be an ugly game with or without Ridder, no way we get a healthy Ridder at this point. He should've been rested the last three weeks to get Bryant experience and allow him to heal, but that is 100% on the coaches. We have a decent shot at beating Memphis Friday. The earlier start time seems to work better for our team. We can get to the QB and/or disrupt enough to cause some short possessions (3 and out or fumble/INT). I don't think the game hinges on our defense. Memphis will score, hopefully not too much, but they will get at minimum 21 points even if we play a great game with only few mistakes.

The key to the game is can we eliminate pre-snap penalties on offense. We also need to stop the holding penalties (O-line again). I am not sure we can cut out or minimize both types of penalties, which is scary/sad. Bryant has a strong arm. Ridder is a fierce competitor. We have the backfield in the league between Doaks/Warren/Montgomery and capable receivers. Many if not all of the dropped passes were bad throws (too late, underthrown, or behind the receiver). Maybe we dumbed down the offense to save our best for Memphis, but I don't think so.

We can win this game and if we do, I want Navy. I do not want to have to beat this good Memphis team twice. Go Bearcats!!
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

There’s more to playing QB than having a strong arm. We have no idea if Bryant has complete understanding of the offense or how he can handle pressure. His only snaps have been in mop up roles.

Hopefully, Ridder’s shoulder heals properly, so that we don’t have to find out.

Comment

There defense is really so/so in terms of what they've done this year in there AAC and the ole Miss game. I think they're giving up about 25 or 26 points a game. Temple's defense is in my opinion better, but at home who knows. Weather looks good, 60 and dry.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
          There’s more to playing QB than having a strong arm. We have no idea if Bryant has complete understanding of the offense or how he can handle pressure. His only snaps have been in mop up roles.

Hopefully, Ridder’s shoulder heals properly, so that we don’t have to find out.
          Much more to QB than throwing, plus he is a redshirt freshman, second year in the system. 12 of 20 for 213 yeards, albeit in mop up action, is still much better than what we got the last few weeks. I don't buy that Ben doesn't know enough. If that were the case, then Jake would be backup, not Ben. I grant that Des has the "it factor" and is the heart of the team in the locker room and on the field. I would've loved to see Ben get the start against ECU or UConn, or USF and have a healthy Ridder for Memphis. If Des can't go, or gets knocked out of the game, then I think Ben will be okay. There's always some dropoff from starter to backup, but Ben will be good enough. Let's hope Ridder progresses, and plays well Friday.

Comment

My concern is that Bryant, in his first real action would be thrown into it in front of a hostile crowd, trying to outscore the best offense in the league.

Comment

Ridder should not start. He gives us almost no chance to win with offense. Injuries and his thought process have been compromised. Why he took the 14 yard sack on 1st down from the 6 pretty much sealed it for me. And why the coaches called a pass play from the 6 when you had a minute or so left and 3 timeouts also was head scratching. Ritter's passes have been off the mark for 3 games and when he does hit within the numbers the receivers are dropping the ball. Coaching improvements, receivers helping their QB and a change to Bryant is only chance we have on Friday. Plus our offensive line is only doing a so-so job blocking. Temple D-line was winning most of the battles. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                My concern is that Bryant, in his first real action would be thrown into it in front of a hostile crowd, trying to outscore the best offense in the league.
                That scares me a bunch too, which is why he should've started 2-3 weeks ago. Alas, Kerry the miracle of healing be blessed upon Desmond and the entire Bearcat Nation holds our collective breath

Comment

Does anyone remember when Gunner Kiel was hit hard and knocked out of the Memphis game. All that happened was his backup, Hayden Moore, came in and set the record for single game passing yardage. And how about when Tony Pike broke his arm and the Red Seas parted and allowed backup Zach Collaros to go 70+ yards for a touchdown. I also remember Zach throwing for a ton of yards against Connecticut later that year. It can happen!!!

Comment

Don't forget, if the Tulsa PK had hit that 33 yard FG as time expired, TULSA would have beaten Memphis.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

I think coming in off the bench would be less stressful on an inexperience quarter back than starting him. Des can still run and most likely is much better in the read option running attack. If we can successfully run the ball and keep Memphis offense off the field that would be ideal. If we fall behind early and Des continues to throw like he has the last couple games, he should be pulled. Should not be his decision either. That is a coaching decision. No player is going to say take me out the game.

Comment

Ben got a lot of 1st team reps in practice last week with it being a game time decision for Ridder to start against Temple. I think Ben has plenty of practice at this point with the ones to be able to come in and perform well without too much of a drop off.

Comment

I'm sure Uc's game plan will be run, run, run and exercise ball control and give Memphis as little time on offense as possible. That will likely call for Ridder to keep them honest and Uc does not fall behind. Fall behind and who knows who we will see. Good start is CRITICAL.

Comment

This is the least confident I've felt this season, other than at tO$U. The Tigers are very explosive on offense, both on the ground and through the air. If Desmond Ridder can't hit receivers, it's going to be very difficult to score enough. Memphis have put up at least 28 points in every game except the opener, when they topped Ole Miss, 15-10.

UM 31
                            UC 21

Comment

I am trying to remain positive. Special teams and defense will carry us to victory.
                              UC 24
                              UM 20

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X