Temple 11/23 7:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
    Great Win! But....... It was clear that our defense was on the field far too long and their effectiveness started to fade late in the game. We have to find some ways to rejuvenate the offense. Besides the obvious of Ridder being hurt an not being able to consistently execute throws I thought Dembrock called an incredibly bad game. Our run game is the most effective off the zone read where Ridder can pull it back and scoot into the empty zone. That didn't happen enough.
    Particularly when we were gifted the ball after Temple's attempted punt with 1st and goal at the six yard line. Why anyone would ever call a passing play in that circumstance is beyond me, especially given Warren and Doaks? Run it four times and score. It should have been 13-0 after that possession, and it sure made the game far more interesting than it should have been considering how well the defense played.

Comment

Yeah, everyone was questioning the play calling in the stands when we had the ball 1st and goal at the 6. 4 run plays is the obvious choice instead of letting Ridder throw anything. The stadium actually started booing Ridder at one point

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
        Yeah, everyone was questioning the play calling in the stands when we had the ball 1st and goal at the 6. 4 run plays is the obvious choice instead of letting Ridder throw anything. The stadium actually started booing Ridder at one point
        That on him and him alone. On first down outside the pocket he has to throw it out of bounds and not take the sack. He thought he could get around the guy and lost. I got no issue with them running the ball outside with him at the 6 as he's very mobile, but they had it defensed. After 20 plus starts you have to be smarter than that at the qb position particularly on first down.

Ridder's obviously not 100%, but his receivers didn't help him last night. I'll defer to the replay once i see it, but that ball to Josiah over the middle was a td and he dropped it, Jackson droppped a ball or two. It was a tough night, but Temple's guys seemed to have better luck holding onto the ball for some reason. The one he under threw was the ball in last drive to Madaris. If it was deeper he could have made a play on it, but it was a tough route on an angle to the corner. Not sure he would have gotten it, but he may have gotten interfered with if it was deeper.

How about Metz's and the block? I haven't seen his name mentioned in any of the articles, but he deserves a game ball for that. Heck with the procedure penalties, made up for it with that one. He's a weapon on those kicks.
        Last edited by coach; 11-24-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
          Hating hearing that on TV. No sense in booing the kid if in fact that what people were booing. He made two consecutive bad decisions on that drive but if you're going to boo someone, boo Denbrock for putting him in those plays.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

That on him and him alone. On first down outside the pocket he has to throw it out of bounds and not take the sack. He thought he could get around the guy and lost. I got no issue with them running the ball outside with him at the 6 as he's very mobile, but they had it defensed. After 20 plus starts you have to be smarter than that at the qb position particularly on first down.
            Our whole section was screaming throw it away - the sense of disbelief after that was almost palpable. And what was the next pass? He seemed to throw it to a spot where there was no one around, but not deep out of bounds and it was just tossed way up. Look, I get it, we've won a lot of games with him at qb, but with the exception of dreadful UConn the offense has been virtually non-existent over the last half dozen games and if the coaching staff really believes they are going to Memphis with even a half chance to win based on the current offensive production they are kidding themselves. It's a short week with a Friday afternoon game, and if Ridder really can't throw they have GOT to figure something else out. Yeah, yeah, I know the offensive line sucks, the receivers can't get separation, constant penalties making it 1st and 15, etc., etc. It's the last regular game of the season, everyone has had a whole year to get things right - time for Fickell to get the OC & staff to figure it out!!

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

How about Metz's and the block? I haven't seen his name mentioned in any of the articles, but he deserves a game ball for that. Heck with the procedure penalties, made up for it with that one. He's a weapon on those kicks.
              I thought it was Metz, also. But, CLF said in the postgame interview with Tony Pike that Elijah Ponder actually was the one who got his hand on the ball. I just watched a replay, but I can't really tell. Both were jumping together.

Comment

That's probably the reason not a lot of credit was given. Someone said the pa announcer said it was Metz but i couldn't tell for sure. You do not see a lot of blocker extra points, let alone returned for 2. Was a very unique play, and all the more when it won the game. However, we lost a heartbreaker there last year so payback is always sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

Our whole section was screaming throw it away - the sense of disbelief after that was almost palpable. And what was the next pass? He seemed to throw it to a spot where there was no one around, but not deep out of bounds and it was just tossed way up. Look, I get it, we've won a lot of games with him at qb, but with the exception of dreadful UConn the offense has been virtually non-existent over the last half dozen games and if the coaching staff really believes they are going to Memphis with even a half chance to win based on the current offensive production they are kidding themselves. It's a short week with a Friday afternoon game, and if Ridder really can't throw they have GOT to figure something else out. Yeah, yeah, I know the offensive line sucks, the receivers can't get separation, constant penalties making it 1st and 15, etc., etc. It's the last regular game of the season, everyone has had a whole year to get things right - time for Fickell to get the OC & staff to figure it out!!
                  Agree with you. They need to make a change but I don't think they will. Listening to what CLF said, they're letting Ridder decide if he's ready to play or not. I mean come on.......no kid is going to voluntarily take himself out of the starting line up. I believe Ridder is hurt.....he consistently underthrows the deep ball.
                  I do think we will be able to run the ball against Memphis and hopefully control the clock some and keep their offense off the field. Whether that will be enough remains to be seen. Memphis can score points in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Agree with you. They need to make a change but I don't think they will. Listening to what CLF said, they're letting Ridder decide if he's ready to play or not. I mean come on.......no kid is going to voluntarily take himself out of the starting line up. I believe Ridder is hurt.....he consistently underthrows the deep ball.
                    I do think we will be able to run the ball against Memphis and hopefully control the clock some and keep their offense off the field. Whether that will be enough remains to be seen. Memphis can score points in a hurry.
                    We need to be able to keep the defense honest by having some sort of passing game. Let Bryant practice the whole week on short and medium throws to compliment our running game. He also needs to practice the handoff on the zone read run. With those two things we have a shot at some type of offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post

We need to be able to keep the defense honest by having some sort of passing game. Let Bryant practice the whole week on short and medium throws to compliment our running game. He also needs to practice the handoff on the zone read run. With those two things we have a shot at some type of offense.
                      I don't think we'll see Bryant unless we get down by several scores early and it forces CLF's hand. That's not fair to the kid, but that's what it appears it will take.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

I don't think we'll see Bryant unless we get down by several scores early and it forces CLF's hand. That's not fair to the kid, but that's what it appears it will take.
                        Our best shot is to let Bryant practice all week with the first team. He needs reps. I know CLF wants to be fair to Ridder and give him every chance but its clear that he is just not himself. This is for the Cotton Bowl and IMHO it is our best chance for a win. We have to have some type of sustainable offense and I am not sure Ridder gives us that right now. Just not fair to the rest of the team. Once again IHMO.

Comment

Like it says on CLF''s stupid 3/4 sleeve jackety thing - T E A M. He, and Ridder for that matter, need to make the best decision for the team.

Comment

It's too late now, and I'll take the 20-20 hindsight shots, but I've (in my private life) wished for Bryant to get at least one series a half (or a game at minimum) in all the games for experience sake. Temple has been doing that most of the year and I think in general it's a good policy. Sticking Bryant into the Memphis game is going to be a tough situation.

Looking at our QB situation now and in the near future, I expect we might see some of them in the transfer portal due to the lack of playing time possibilities. We've got talented QBs (on paper), but I don't know how many Tony Pikes we have that will stay around for a chance to play.

That said, this isn't a shot at Dez and I understand why HC LF sticks with the one that got him here.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X