No announcement yet.

Miami 9/14 12:00 ESPNU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope they give Prater a shot at the starting job next year but have a feeling we are stuck with Ridder until he graduates

Comment

Just discovered that Bryan Wright checked back into the game yesterday. Apparently ok.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
        I hope they give Prater a shot at the starting job next year but have a feeling we are stuck with Ridder until he graduates
        He's going to need a year to get bigger and stronger. He's a little to lean right now to take the pounding. It's a big step up do D1 from what he's seeing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

He's going to need a year to get bigger and stronger. He's a little to lean right now to take the pounding. It's a big step up do D1 from what he's seeing right now.
          My thoughts exactly. Needs to to put a at least some weight on. Right now his frame reminds of a shorter Paxton Lynch or Nick Foles. Granted those guys are NFL QBs but they're both fairly tall.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            Who knew the play of the game was going to be a neutral zone infraction on Wiami (They spelled it that way, not me.) . Broke the game open.
            Yeah, that was a little weird. When they first came out we thought they had their largest flag upside down (not beyond the realm of possibilities). Later I saw a fan with a "W" on his shirt and in small print it said "Win the Red Zone". Still, it's a bad look; just go with your school's initial and end it.
            Last edited by Geaux Juan; 09-15-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              I hate noon games. Team comes out asleep at the wheel every time. I don't think they woke up until about 7:00 in the 2nd Qtr. No way Miami should have been able to push around our line on both sides of the ball around like that regardless of how our O line was playing. Good thing the adrenaline wore off.

I don't think we're going to fix that O line issue anytime soon. lack of experienced bodies. If anything it will get worse because eventually someone's going to get hurt up front. I just hope it's not Chris Ferguson.
              Yep agree. Coming out of the gate looking lethargic against Miami seems to be part of our gameplan for them every year. I'll give Coach Fickell credit, at least he has embraced the rivalry and made it a point of emphasis.
              The freshman QB for them (Gabbert?) looks to be a player........better be ready for him the next 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
                Offensive line has to grow up quick or we are in for deep trouble. Ridder is still looking like a red shirt freshman. He is to tenative when he takes off to run. Missing too many reads. Could be in trouble against Marshall and definitely against UCF.
                Ridder not recognizing defensive coverage and matchups pre-snap is a big issue. Him not being able to check down is another. With the state of the OL, he has to identify these things before the snap and have his eyes open across the field. Right now, the ball is snapped and he stares at a receiver for about 2 seconds, then checks down to the next one. He doesn't have the time to do that back there. He has to really pick it up. Last year, Denbrock said that they could only use half the field on any given play because he couldn't check down fast enough. Things really haven't improved there. He has a lot of talent, but if he needs a half hour to figure out the coverage, he's not going to be able to use any of it.

I really think that the only reason he is in there still is that he has scrambling skills that Bryant doesn't. If Ridder's inability to read coverage and check down doesn't improve, I'd look at Bryant for some playing time around the Tulsa game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post

Ridder not recognizing defensive coverage and matchups pre-snap is a big issue. Him not being able to check down is another. With the state of the OL, he has to identify these things before the snap and have his eyes open across the field. Right now, the ball is snapped and he stares at a receiver for about 2 seconds, then checks down to the next one. He doesn't have the time to do that back there. He has to really pick it up. Last year, Denbrock said that they could only use half the field on any given play because he couldn't check down fast enough. Things really haven't improved there. He has a lot of talent, but if he needs a half hour to figure out the coverage, he's not going to be able to use any of it.

I really think that the only reason he is in there still is that he has scrambling skills that Bryant doesn't. If Ridder's inability to read coverage and check down doesn't improve, I'd look at Bryant for some playing time around the Tulsa game.
                  Nailed it on Ridder vs. Bryant. A saw a lot of people in the Twitterverse calling for benching RIdder part way through the game. My immediate thought was that Bryant is not mobile and the line is not blocking. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Nothing against Ben at all but at this point Ridder gives us a better chance to win solely because of his mobility and speed. I have not at this point seen any evidence that Bryant has the foot speed to run the read option which is a significant part of the offense. Now I could be wrong and he can do it but I haven't seen it.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I can't believe people want to throw Ridder under the bus already. We have an inexperienced line & missing now 2 of our main running backs. I guess fans are fickled. Ridder did a great job last year & I believe
                    he will continue to do great things this year. Let's get behind him support & cheer him on & not be so critical.
                    Just my humble opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                      I can't believe people want to throw Ridder under the bus already. We have an inexperienced line & missing now 2 of our main running backs. I guess fans are fickled. Ridder did a great job last year & I believe
                      he will continue to do great things this year. Let's get behind him support & cheer him on & not be so critical.
                      Just my humble opinion!
                      I agree. It's not like he didn't show us a few things in the 2nd half. The whole team started slowly, not just him.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Yep, you don't mess with what worked last year this early in the season. Truth is we would not have beaten Osu with Tom Brady at qb. So basically we're 2-0 with him starting. I do think though they may entertain simplifying things for him a little. I can't say for certain, but my guess is they have him making more decisions on the field, and it looks to be impacting his ability to pull the trigger on things. It's not unusual to see this, and the coaches know better than we do. My guess is they continue to challenge him with it as the only way to improve typically is to learn on the job which includes mistakes.

Comment

Yep, you don't mess with what worked last year this early in the season. Truth is we would not have beaten Osu with Tom Brady at qb. So basically we're 2-0 with him starting. I do think though they may entertain simplifying things for him a little. I can't say for certain, but my guess is they have him making more decisions on the field, and it looks to be impacting his ability to pull the trigger on things. It's not unusual to see this, and the coaches know better than we do. My guess is they continue to challenge him with it as the only way to improve typically is to learn on the job which includes mistakes.
                          Good analysis coach!

Comment

Ridder is 3 games into his sophomore year. Most D-1 quarterbacks aren't anywhere close to playing yet much less leading the team all game each week. He is a stud and will continue to develop. I believe it is much too early to consider a change.

Comment

Yep this ^^^^^. In one of the videos I watched from camp, Fickell mentioned they were giving Ridder more control and decision making responsibilities at the line of scrimmage as compared to last year when they just wanted him to manage the offense and not turn it over. Thats a big change for a young QB

Comment

This is a great game and film breakdown from Justin WIlliams if you're a subscriber to the Athletic. ($)

https://theathletic.com/1221494/2019...l&redirected=1
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X