Spring Practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Practice

Spring ball starts tomorrow! Seems early to me for some reason but here we go for preseason.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Does anyone know who the "gray shirt" frosh may be, if any, this spring?

Comment

Biggest news of the spring!

Basketball season's winding down, baseball season just started and at the Sheakley Athletic Center bubble adjacent to Marge Schott Stadium and Fifth Third Arena, it's spring football time at the University of Cincinnati.

Luke Fickell's Military Bowl champion Bearcats began practice Saturday and will continue into mid-April. Key losses to graduation for UC came on both the offensive and defensive lines. Seniors Dino Boyd, Kyle Trout and Garrett Campbell moved on from the left side of the line and center. Defensively, The front three of Kimoni Fitz, Cortez Broughton and Marquise Copeland also finished, leaving large cleats to fill on both sides.

On the upside, the NCAA granted extra years to a couple of experienced large men. Chris Ferguson, who redshirted a year, then didn't see any action from 2015-17 was granted more eligibility due to an injury. Ferguson was a starter all of last season at right tackle and has further chiseled his 6-foot-5, 300-plus pound frame with football strength coach Brady Collins. https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...500&height=333
      Chris Ferguson has been granted an extra year of eligibility giving UC's offensive line added experience. (Photo: The Enquirer/Sam Greene)
      "I'm ecstatic about it because not only do I get another year to perfect my craft and hopefully seek a dream of going to the NFL," Ferguson said. "I get to be with my guys one more year and hopefully help them get a conference championship back to Cincinnati."

Ferguson was part of the "Misfit" line last year that played with chips on their shoulders. Dino Boyd was a graduate transfer from Rhode Island, Kyle Trout transferred from Ohio State, Garrett Campbell began as a walk-on, Morgan James started as a hockey player and Ferguson spent four seasons not playing until taking advantage of 2018's opportunity.

"We're already tight," Ferguson said of this year's group. "Me and MoJo (Morgan James) on the right side have great chemistry from last year. We've got Jakari (Robinson) in the middle who played last year, so he's good. On the left side we have Coop (Jeremy Cooper) and Hud (Michigan transfer James Hudson). They're coming along good, they're listening. We're all just helping each other out."

Ferguson is only in his sixth year of football after moving to Orlando, Florida from the Bahamas. He describes his climb to the starting lineup as a long, long journey.

"We've got a bigger target on our back because of what we did last year," Ferguson said. "Everybody knows what we're going to do. We're going to run the ball and force them to stop us. That's a testament to our training, what Coach Brady (Collins) does and Coach Fick pushes us every day. That's just the mentality we have."

Kevin Mouhan, like Ferguson, redshirted in 2014. The 6-2, 245-pound defensive end then saw considerable action the next three seasons. However, he tore an ACL in spring ball last year. Mouhan also has a sixth year of eligibility and another chance. https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...332&height=400
      University of Cincinnati's Kevin Mouhon tackles University of Central Florida's Tristan Payton at Nippert Stadium Saturday October 31, 2015. (Photo: Cara Owsley, The Enquirer/Cara Owsley)
      "Our defensive line took the strongest hit with everybody leaving," Mouhon said. "I feel like we need to step into their shoes and take this defense and take charge."

The brother of former Bearcat Silverberry Mouhon (now playing arena ball in Green Bay) probably was out of sight, out of mind for many Bearcat fans after missing all of last season. He hopes to reintroduce himself to them quickly at Nippert Stadium.

"A lot of people didn't even know I was hurt," Mouhon said. "I feel like they're going to see me in the starting lineup and they're going to be like, 'Hey, I remember that player, how hard a player he was.' Hopefully, I can just excite everyone in the stadium with my presence."

Mouhon played in nine games in 2015, then all of 2016 and 2017 with 50 and 56 tackles respectively in those seasons. Patience and perseverance, like Ferguson, have been crucial to Mouhon as he again waited his turn to play.

"It hurt," Mouhon said. "Football has always been my passion. Just being out here and just watching definitely took a toll on me. But, I had a strong support system around me to help through the whole process. Now, I feel like it was yesterday and it passed that quick. I'm excited to be out here and prove to everybody I still have what it takes to be a leader and a strong football player."

Mouhon has taken advantage of his time at UC academically, earning a bachelor's and master's degree. He's even contemplated the Ph.D., which could make him UC's first "Doctor Defense".

New defensive line coach Chad Wilt is also looking forward to the return of Mouhon to the mob of mashers. Wilt will be in charge of replacing last year's power trio of Fitz, Broughton and Copeland and knows Mouhon has some good tape.

"I hope Kevin Mouhon hasn't forgotten about Kevin Mouhon," WIlt said. "He's an older guy, he has played in games. He can bring that experience. Hopefully, he can take charge here, both as a six-year guy but also off the field in the locker room leading the young guys like Malik Vann and Myjai Sanders and really helping those guys go for it and develop with background and experience."

UC is less than six months away from their 2019 home opener, Thursday, Aug. 28 with UCLA.

Comment

The Spring game will be April 13 at 6:00 in NIppert. Free admission.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here's the details on Spring Game plus tickets details for everyone:

CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati football team will welcome fans to Nippert Stadium to celebrate the end of spring practice on Saturday, April 13 from 6-8 p.m. ET.

Bearcats Fan Fest will be an all-day athletics event which starts with lacrosse at noon inside Gettler Stadium, continues with baseball at 4 p.m. against UCF at Marge Schott Stadium and concludes with football at 6 p.m. in Nippert.

The event, presented by White Castle, will be free and open to the public. Event-day parking will be available in all Calhoun and Corry Garages for $5 per vehicle.

FAN ACTIVITIES
          • The Military Bowl trophy will be behind section 114 for fan photos
          • DJ Etrayn will be on hand playing music
          • The cheerleaders and Bearcat mascot will be on hand
          • Post-practice autograph session for fans
          • Concessions specials

AUTOGRAPH SESSION
          Following the close of practice, fans can enter the playing surface at Nippert for a 20-minute autograph session. Players will be scattered around the field and spring posters will be provided to all in attendance.

STUDENT ON-FIELD OPPORTUNITY
          Students who have already purchased their $60 season ticket will have an exclusive opportunity to experience spring football from field level in the south endzone. Students who have not yet purchased their student tickets will be able to secure their season package at the event and gain access to the field. Contact the athletics ticket office at 1-877-CATS-TIX or visit the staff on the fourth floor of the Richard E. Lindner Center prior to April 13 to gain access.

SIGN YOUR SEASON TICKET LETTER OF INTENT
          Patrons who have renewed, want to renew or purchase season tickets can sign their official letter of intent for the 2019 season and get their picture taken at the podium in front of a UC backdrop behind section 114.

BOOKSTORE
          The UC Bookstore will be selling the latest Bearcats merchandise on the concourse on April 13. Click HERE to get a look at their current offerings ahead of the spring football event.

CONCESSIONS
          Three new food items will be available for free sampling at the West 2 concession stand under the west pavilion and facing TUC. The potential fall menu additions, pretzel chicken nuggets, waffle fries and Oreo churros, could be added to the concession offerings for the 2019 football season. A brief survey will be available at the W2 stand for fans to offer their feedback on the items.

In addition, fan-friendly pricing will be in effect at the stadium with $1 popcorn and cotton candy, hot dogs, pretzels and sodas for $2.

IF YOU’VE RENEWED YOUR TICKETS …
          Fans who have already renewed their 2019 season tickets will be able to spend the game on the third-floor club level of the Nippert West Pavilion. Contact the athletics ticket office at 1-877-CATS-TIX to reserve your spot.

SELECT-A-SEAT
          Representatives from the athletics ticket office will be stationed behind section 114 in the south horseshoe end of Nippert Stadium for a select-a-seat event where prospective season ticket holders can choose their seats on the spot. Staff will be on hand behind section 114 to show fans seats in-person and provide more information on season ticket availability and options.

NEW SEASON TICKET HOLDER DRAWING
          New season ticket holders who placed their 2019 ticket deposit by Friday, May 3 will be entered into a drawing for an opportunity to purchase tickets to the UC-Ohio State game on Saturday, Sept. 7 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus. Fifty lucky fans who place their $50 deposit will be able to purchase two (2) tickets at $95 apiece and watch the Bearcats take on the Buckeyes this fall. If you have already placed a deposit for the 2019 season, you have been entered in the drawing. The opportunity to purchase tickets for road games is typically exclusive to renewing season ticket holders, so don't miss your chance at this unique offer!

SEASON TICKET DEPOSITS
          New season ticket deposits for the 2019 season can be reserved for $50 per seat. The home schedule consists of matchups against UCLA, Miami (OH), UCF, Temple, Tulsa and UConn. Fans can reserve their seats prior to the public on-sale date of May 13, 2019.

Click HERE to make your deposit to join us in Nippert Stadium in 2019!

LOOKING AHEAD
          UC opens the 2019 campaign against UCLA on Thursday, Aug. 29 in Nippert Stadium. The Bearcats finished 2018 with 11 or more wins for the third time in program history (2008, 2009) and knocked off Virginia Tech in the 2018 Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman. Looking ahead at 2019, UC is set to return more than 85% of its roster, over 5,000 yards of total offense, 10 of its Top-15 tacklers and 14 starters from the 2018 squad.

STUDENT SEASON TICKETS
          Student season tickets for football are on sale now at GoBEARCATS.com/tickets for a reduced rate of $60 ($10 per game) until May 3, 2019. Students who renew before the deadline will be entered into drawings for a pair of tickets for UC's game at Ohio State, two tickets to the Bearcats road game at Marshall, Under Armour gear and more! Students should visit the ticket website (GoBEARCATS.com/tickets) and log into their account and renew or purchase their seats today.

FOLLOW THE BEARCATS
          For all the latest information on Cincinnati football, please visit GoBEARCATS.com. For up-to-the-minute updates, follow Cincinnati football (@GoBearcatsFB) and Coach Fickell (@CoachFick) on Twitter. You can also find the Bearcats on Instagram and Facebook.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Did anyone else attend the spring game on Saturday? It was a perfect evening for the event. I spent most of the time chasing my grandson around who was chasing the mascot around. It was all fun. However, I did notice a lot of big offensive plays which is encouraging. However, that may be a problem with the defense. I could not find anything on gobearcats. Can someone provide a summary of the scrimmage?

Comment

Summary - a typical Spring practice game. Not much shown. QBs seemed to be working on the spread-option because they (the QBs) seemed to try to run frequently. There were at least four long passes for touchdowns - pretty passes that were caught, which hasn't always been the case. Both Desmond Ridder and Ben Bryant were on the chucking end of the play. DR seemed craftier than BB, but BB seemed to have to run for his life more. The same for Jake Sopko, although he had some good (though shorter) passes himself.

The 1st team OL looked good. James Hudson is going to work on not holding as much (most holds weren't called, and there were too many penalties called in general).

But in general, another case of our offense was really good, or our defense wasn't and vice versa. Just hard to tell.

Comment

If the offense did so great with the deep ball what happened to our defense? We had a top 10 defense wouldn't that be a concern? Offense win games, defense win championships!!! What gives with the D??

Comment

The defense was playing without the # 1 Corners.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Yep, i think the defensive backfield will be a strength of this team, but they had a lot of guys nicked up this spring. Good side is guys who will likely backup got more action. I think the biggest x factor is going to be the rebuilt offensive line. There's no doubt we have weapons on offense. Key is shaking them loose. Hopefully they here something on J Hudson's eligibility sooner rather than later. They could use him at tackle.

Comment

I'm not sure how Hudson's transfer is going to end up honestly. I mean he sat last year at Mich so there's no reason why he shoulnd't get a waiver to play right away but on the other hand this is the NCAA. He's on the roster it's just a matter of whether he has sit a year or not.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Something else I noticed just now on classes. We have 6 Grad students on the roster. I've never seen that before.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I miscounted the grads. There's 8 of them.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            Something else I noticed just now on classes. We have 6 Grad students on the roster. I've never seen that before.
                            Tubby was a bag fan of the red shirt

Comment

Originally posted by Hiway44 View Post
                              If the offense did so great with the deep ball what happened to our defense? We had a top 10 defense wouldn't that be a concern? Offense win games, defense win championships!!! What gives with the D??
                              Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what's going on at a Spring Practice event. Players in and out, no names on jerseys, jerseys not fitting so as to be able to differentiate the numbers, no announcements as to what's going on, etc. The takeaway from the long completions is that the passes were long and they were caught! But one can not take away too much from the play of the game.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X