• Show
Clear All

FIckell's not going anywhere. In 2 years probably
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
      Coaching Scoop has also reported Fick in the mix, but expect that after this season.
      I've heard this too from several outlets. WVU is not an ideal place to coach with the Big 12 having no schools near them and it's not exactly a hot bed of talent. Fickell was being considered for several P5 jobs this year, but he declined interest in the jobs and they moved on quickly. I would bet that he hangs on here for another year or 2 and waits for a premium job to open like ND or Michigan. I don't think he leaves for WVU.

Comment

I think he's smarter than getting into that west virginia hornet's nest. Not easy to recruit guys to Morgantown for 4 years and convince them to travel across country for all the road games. Holgorsen had a hard time getting guys and keeping them for 4 years of development. It's an isolated job. Fans think more of it than everyone outside of west virginia. I'm curious is Brian Kelly is really an nfl candidate or not as is being reported. I know Mike Brown did like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Thamel at Yahoo just torches Houston here

https://sports.yahoo.com/major-apple...233551453.html
          I'm guessing Houston isn't signing a GoR with the AAC anytime soon.

Re: the article - I think most of the writers at Yahoo are sensationalists. And, if the coaching change situation was happening at a P5 school the process would be a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
            I think he's smarter than getting into that west virginia hornet's nest. Not easy to recruit guys to Morgantown for 4 years and convince them to travel across country for all the road games. Holgorsen had a hard time getting guys and keeping them for 4 years of development. It's an isolated job. Fans think more of it than everyone outside of west virginia. I'm curious is Brian Kelly is really an nfl candidate or not as is being reported. I know Mike Brown did like him.
            I saw Kelly connected to Tampa Bay's search and I'm not sure how much credit to give that report.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

As far as Fickell goes, if he entertains a move to WVU I'd have to think it's a salary leverage move from his agent. Fickell is making 2.3M/yr

Holgorsen just signed a 3.7M/yr contract with Houston and apparently has a huge assistant salary pool on top of that. That's larger than the next AAC Salary (Norvell) by 1.1M .

Things are getting stupid with these coaching salaries. No one at the G5 needs to get into a salary horse race with the major P5 schools. It's not good for any of the program's long term finances. Just because Fertitta has the money to balance that out doesn't mean Houston should offer that much to a head coach. Heck, Herman is only making 5.25M at Texas.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

These coaching "searches" you have to take with a grain of salt. In a state like Wv, the media and fans there basically convince each other that whomever is getting mentioned( or their school reaches out to) is in fact showing the same amount of interest on their side. Often in these cases, particularly when it's relatively new head coaches, you have to listen for a number of reasons not the least of which it shows your employer and other future employers that you are a hot commodity. Holgorsen was lucky, he found a way out of that situation with a nice payday. Fick can do better than that job is he's patient. If i was making north of 2mm a year and likely looking at a raise, there's no way on earth i'd move to Morgantown, not to mention move my family down there to deal with that group of fans.

Comment

Fickell has interviewed with WV according to multiple local Cincy and WV actual news sources now. Neal Brown is still the favorite. Tony Gibson, the current DC, appears to be out of contention.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Neal Brown is expected to be named the WVU HC per Yahoo and others.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

SportingNews is re-reporting the Yahoo story, so it must be ligit. Bearcat fans can rest easy for the weekend. Next week when Brian Kelly is named the new Bengals/Tampa Bay head coach, we'll start all over again. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Fickell has interviewed with WV according to multiple local Cincy and WV actual news sources now. Neal Brown is still the favorite. Tony Gibson, the current DC, appears to be out of contention.
                        To me this indicates that he isn't very selective in which 'big' opening is available. Any P5 head coaching position available next year means he is gone, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ACAirborne View Post

To me this indicates that he isn't very selective in which 'big' opening is available. Any P5 head coaching position available next year means he is gone, unfortunately.
                          It doesn't hurt to interview and may be beneficial (Cronin/Las Vegas).

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

It doesn't hurt to interview and may be beneficial (Cronin/Las Vegas).
                            Funny you mention Cronin as I was actually thinking about this the other day. What makes head coaching in football different than basketball? It is pretty common in college basketball to have a head coach be in that position for 10+ years, i.e. Cronin, Boeheim, Coach K, Bill Self, etc, but it is very rare in college football.

Comment

Originally posted by ACAirborne View Post

Not at all, in fact it's the complete opposite situation. You have a good agent you get as many interviews as you can from P5 teams. Ups your stock. There's no way in the world if they come here he's not going to sit down with them not even considering his long association with Gordon Gee. You throw that in and there is no way he's not meeting with them. However, it will continue to be an annual event if we're successful. An agent always keeps you out there. If Uc wants to up the ante financially, it won't hurt, but right now they have restrictions.

Comment

So Temple hasn't hired anyone yet. I think the fans were pushing for former Jets coach Todd Bowles who is an alum.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X