No announcement yet.

Navy 11/3 3:30ET ESPNU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great game on a great fall day for football. I am really impressed with our defense. Navy I believe scored 20+ points on Norte Dame. Offense didn’t turn
    the ball over & it was just a great effort all around. Bring on the Bulls.

Comment

That was the first time we've ever beaten Navy and the first time Navy's been shut out in 6 years.

Box Score:

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=401019518
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

As coach already mentioned, I can’t recall a more amazing turnaround than the difference between our defense last year and this year. And not just because of yesterday’s shutout of Navy, our defense has been difficult to move the ball against all season.

Comment

Has there been any news re the condition of Perry Young? He was on a cart after going down with a leg injury.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
            Has there been any news re the condition of Perry Young? He was on a cart after going down with a leg injury.
            He was being revaluated after the game. We'll probably find out what's up on Tuesday at the lunch presser

Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Long form from Mo Egger $:

https://theathletic.com/632537/2018/...-luke-fickell/
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

He was being revaluated after the game. We'll probably find out what's up on Tuesday at the lunch presser

Update: it’s an ACL tear
                Last edited by London 'Cat; 11-05-2018, 08:31 AM.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Great game all around. The only thing that concerned me was the fact that C. Smith field goal kicker, despite making all six extra points, hooked all six to the left. I was hoping after the first one he would have made adjustments. If he were kicking field goals 10 to 20 yards further away they all would have all missed.We my need them in the next two games.

Comment

I watched a replay on ESPN.com last night and a Navy guy went straight for the knees in a low (but legal within 3 yds of line of scrimmage) block. Its really too bad. Perry was having a monster game to that point.

Comment

Really sad to hear this. He was having a great year and was playing so soundly. You have to feel for him as his season is now over. We'll probably see some of the backups get a bigger role now.

Comment

I agree with Congrats to the coaching staff. The triple option is hard to prepare for especially with the infrequency that you see it anymore. Last year was a prime example but this years preparation was unbelievable and even Notre Dame couldn't handle them the way we did. Total destruction of their offensive scheme and an awesome performance. Well done coaches.

Comment

It's kind of ironic as Marcus Freeman admitted to watching you tube videos et. al to scheme to stop the option. He likely created his own you tube video now to do it. I waatched some of the replay on tv yesterday and if you did not see it there were some really great sideline moments at the end of the game between Freeman, Fickell and the defensive players. A great moment when Freeman came over to the bench and slapped Bolden and Spoonseller on the head after they came out in the 4th qtr after another short yardage stop. Not sure if it was that, or the fact that they ran on the scout team during the week. You could see a lot of emotion on their faces. If you have the game taped, go to late n q4 and you'll see it. Great camera work.
                          Last edited by coach; 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                            It's kind of ironic as Marcus Freeman admitted to watching you tube videos et. al to scheme to stop the option. He likely created his own you tube video now to do it. I waatched some of the replay on tv yesterday and if you did not see it there were some really great sideline moments at the end of the game between Freeman, Fickell and the defensive players. A great moment when Freeman came over to the bench and slapped Bolden and Spoonseller on the head after they came out in the 4th qtr after another short yardage stop. Not sure if it was that, or the fact that they ran on the scout team during the week. You could see a lot of emotion on their faces. If you have the game taped, go to late n q4 and you'll see it. Great camera work.
                            Bolden was the Scout team QB. His father Tom runs the Triple option at Colerain HS. Cortez Broughton shouted out the whole scout team offense during post game interviews complete with a chart of the positions they played. . This is a true team this year and not a bunch of individuals.

The team has been spending time on the triple option since camp because they knew one week prep wasn't going to cut it. Big shout out to Freeman and Fickell for the preparation. One thing bothers me and it's that Freeman is probably going to be a hot commodity at bigger schools as a DC after this year based on the defense's ranking. He's earned it but I don't want to lose him. Hopefully he'll stick with Fickell.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I was talking with a friend of mine who is still in coaching, and he said what i was thinking when i watched that video Freeman really looks like a young Mike Tomlin out there. He's very intense and hands on with the players. Coaches have different styles but he's very hands on like a captain of a team out there. He's really locked in with the players to a degree you do not always see. I cannot forsee he will not get a look somewhere as a head coach in the not to distant future. I suspect he's on the fast track and Fickell spotted it while others may not have.

Comment

Luke Fickell mentioned at his presser that he wishes that the NCAA would ban cut blocking entirely. Perry Young got taken out by a legal cut block about 3 yards from the line of scrimmage by a Navy player on Saturday. This is the exact same thing that took out Houston's Ed Oliver the week prior, a Navy cut block. The one against Oliver was pretty ugly looking. I don't think Navy is trying to play dirty, it's just something that is taught in that offense and it predates Coach Ken. Paul Johnson's Navy and GT teams also do this in that offense.

Here's the video of Ed Oliver's injury.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/st...77078532718592

Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X